"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
My 20 year old fridge is dying and will have to be replaced. This week I went shopping and have fallen in love with a French door style fridge with loads of bells and whistles, freezer on the bottom and a whopping price tag. For half the price I could get a nice replacement this is a lot like my old fridge. It would keep the food cold, make ice, etc.... but it wouldn't be nearly as slick as a new french door model.

So... who has made this change? Are the features worth the upcharge? Does anyone have a french door style fridge? Would you do it again?
Since you have already seen this fridge that you like in person, just do a little bit of digging in the internet for the best price and get off that ledge...buy the fridge. I am sure you will be happy with your purchase especially if you get it at the right price instead...but then I am a sucker for technology...the more bells and whistles, the easier the tasks I used to have to do. The consequences comes later, but by the time it comes, you already have your most prized fridge...

Tucker's Mum aka Cooper's Mom

--Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Cooper'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
What a timely thread, and thank you kitchenelf (again). I have been lusting over one of the french door ones too. To get any new fridge, I have to do surgery on a cabinet to get enough height. While the swing open doors are great, there is this wall that I did not take into consideration.

Jabet H - A grand is a lot of money and I have the same issues as you do.

One difference between a cook and a chef is that the cook mows the lawn, while the bread is rising.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #13
Master Chef
I would save your money and get one that is cheaper...........if the economy ever gets better (and it's supposed to be not so good for another couple of years) you could always sell it and go upscale...by then the prices may have really come down....just talking from experience........hope I haven't pushed you off the ledge, yet :):)
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #14
Executive Chef
door style does matter to seeing what is in the fridge, and saving your back and knees. (This may matter more depending on age and physical condition, but it should be considered.)

What is important is how cold it keeps your food. we have two fridges...a fancy high end and a much less expensive basic one for beverages and extra freezing space. The fancy one keeps food much better thus it lasts longer.

So it really depends on your needs.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My lust for refrigerators says you need the French doors!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac
We have friends who just redid their kitchen and got a french door bottom freezer model and would never go back. They say it is totally worth the extra.

We got a new fridge a few years ago and thanks to some timely money from my Dad were able to get the one of my dreams. It is not french doors (that would fit in this place but not our old house) but it is 22 cubic feet, very deep with sliding shelves that allow me to get the food in the back, huge top freezer (I couldn't bend at that time) and several other bells and whistles.

I would personally go for the one you want and you won't regret it...but ultimately it is You, Janet, who has to decide what is important, cash or convenience!

Let us know how it turns out!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Senior Cook
I took the plunge and bought a French door fridge, and I would do it again. I replaced a side-by-side and would probably never have one of those again (everything just seemed too skinny, especially the freezer).

The fridge that I chose does not have ice/water in the door. I was more interested in having the space in the fridge than having ice/water in the door. And, there's still a water spicket inside the fridge which gives filtered water and takes up no space. It was also not as pricey as the ice in the door model.

My second choice was fridge on top (no French doors) and freezer on bottom.
Cooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I would surely have gotten the French door model if I didn't live in a 7 x 14 kitchen! Just not enough room for it. I LOVE the width of the shelf space -- no problem getting large platters on those wide shelves, or the T'day turkey, either! And I prefer the freezer on the bottom. Like the drawer idea a lot. Just didn't fit in my kitchen. Maybe in my next life?
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Sous Chef
I don't know that much aboaut it, but I know the following: 1. I hate my side by side and 2. I always wanted a freezer on the bottom. If the result is a 'French door, so be it.

We do like the kind with the water and ice maker - I hear most ppl do !!!
MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
(is there a whiny smiley?) Now I want one!

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote