"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Talk me off the ledge - dying fridge

My 20 year old fridge is dying and will have to be replaced. This week I went shopping and have fallen in love with a French door style fridge with loads of bells and whistles, freezer on the bottom and a whopping price tag. For half the price I could get a nice replacement this is a lot like my old fridge. It would keep the food cold, make ice, etc.... but it wouldn't be nearly as slick as a new french door model.

So... who has made this change? Are the features worth the upcharge? Does anyone have a french door style fridge? Would you do it again?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Oh Janet - I LOVE a fridge with bells and whistles!!!! We can't have a French door fridge because of a wall . There is no doubt in my mind that you will love it. It's only worth it if you LOVE it!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Everymom

Janet, I don't like the freezer on the bottom because its too easy access for the kids to get to the ice cream! At least if the freezer is on top they have some digging to do if I hide it in the back. LOL
Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

You are evil Alix!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Janet, I don't like the freezer on the bottom because its too easy access for the kids to get to the ice cream! At least if the freezer is on top they have some digging to do if I hide it in the back. LOL
The ice cream fiend in my house is my husband - he would have to bend over to get at this way. Not a bad thing.....

Basically this comes down to money. Is a french door model worth $1,000 more than the plain vanilla model? Both would have ice makers, chilled water, about the same storage space, etc.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
Everymom

My DH is the BIGGEST ice cream fiend (and chocolate, and candy) but trust me the kids are fiends too. IMO no they aren't worth the money. I can't see paying double as the functionality doesn't double. When you get right down to it...its just a fridge.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Unless you want to put large platters in your fridge that otherwise wouldn't fit (which is the reason I would buy the French door style) then I don't think it would be worth the additional $$$.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Whatever you decide...Freezer on the bottom is THE way to go...Period!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I see alot of features of the french door style that I like. Is it possible to get one that's less expensive than the one you saw?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
Janet, let us know if you go for it - i know you're hoping for advice, we're just all hoping *someone* takes the plunge and tells us how it is! i saw one at lowe's a couple of years ago that i'm still all yearning for: it was a 4-door model that looked like the french door sort on the outside (freezer on bottom, Uncle Bob!), but in reality was 4 separate compartments. you could program the temperature of each compartment separately, so if you wanted one side of the freezer compartment to be the deep freeze for long-term meat storage and the other to be just-frozen so the ice cream would be soft, there ya go.

geez, i wish i had the crazy money for that thing. sigh.

practical stuff, though: how big are the handles, and where is your fridge being situated? many of the french door models i've seen lately in the store have these long, thick arching handles that would only work well if the fridge was surrounded by countertops. mine being over in the side (at a corner of 2 kitchen walls) means that those thick doors wouldn't be able to really open all the way.