"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #61
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Have JoshuaNY add you to his laundry/ironing list.

Haha. The list keeps growing

Old 12-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #62
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, strike one against for the Tassimo.

I thought it was just me one day when the T disk didn't fit properly and punctured an extra hole, sending coffee and coffee grounds all over the place. It took six flushings with an empty milk disk, several sani-wipes and a lot of elbow grease just to clean the machine and the bar code reader, not to mention the counter and floor.

Well, yesterday it did the same thing again, even though I was very careful in how I inserted the disk. Then, today, I put my latte milk in first (as I always do), and it sounded like it was going on a lot longer than usual. Sure enough, I had a full latte mug (quite large) of very watery milk and froth. So, for a third time I was scrubbing out the disk area and cleaning off the code reader. Finally I got a nice cup of Chai Latte. I don't mind wasting the milk disks as we have a ton of them, but the espresso, and specially the Chai aren't cheap.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #63
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The only problem I have had with the Keurig has to do with high altitude. The lack of air pressure makes the cups swell up and can force the grounds into the piercing spike at the top where the water enters. This is alleviated by placing the cup in the holder and pressing it down firmly on the bottom spike. Once I had that figured out, no more problems.

Oh, it also helps if you make sure the water reservoir is full... Someone does have to do that! It's become a night time ritual. Fill the Brita Filter container, then use the filtered water to fill the Keurig and cat water fountain. Fill the Brita, fill the water bottles...I use about 4 gallons of filtered water a day.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom bought me a Tassimo for Christmas! Not something that I would buy for myself, but definitely a cool gift. I hope that this machine has some staying power, I enjoyed the coffee and the ease in making it!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #65
Everymom

The winner in our house was the Keurig. Its seen a LOT of action today. I think I've filled the reservoir at least a half dozen times. I've enjoyed all the types I've tried so far, and I made maple with my K Cup thingy. Love this machine. It doesn't get easier than this.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #66
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
The winner in our house was the Keurig. Its seen a LOT of action today. I think I've filled the reservoir at least a half dozen times. I've enjoyed all the types I've tried so far, and I made maple with my K Cup thingy. Love this machine. It doesn't get easier than this.
I still enjoy mine, just not as often as at first! Even my Mini at work is a joy, even though it doesn't have a reservoir and on demand hot, it's worth the little wait.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom gave us a pack of Gevalia cappuccino and it was really quite nice, quite bold and very smooth. It has the separate milk (UHT milk) disks, and the machine actually made a nice froth on top.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #68
Everymom

I can see this one doing a couple cups in the morning when Kate and I are running. I can also see it being my go to thing for a quick cup of tea.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #69
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use filtered water in mine. It makes a perfect cup of tea, once I got the temp set correctly.

I've even just tucked a tea bag in to make a quick cop.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Sir Loin...the Keurig has a special thing so you can use your own coffee, and it is reusable, no waste at all.
Except you end of having to clean the darn thing, and if you're pouring coffee grounds down you sink drain you might as well invite the roto rooter man over for coffee.