Tassimo vs Keurig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Different manufacturers are now making single cup brewers that use the K-Cups. That's an acknowldgement that Keurig is the big dog in this area.

Several weeks ago, I saw an ad on TV for a single cup brewer that appeared to use a scoop. You used a long handled scoop to scoop some coffee and put the scoop with the coffee in the machine to brew. That would seem to offer a much less expensive alternative with infinite variety. Sadly, I haven't seen the ad since.

Several weeks ago, I saw an ad on TV for a single cup brewer that appeared to use a scoop. You used a long handled scoop to scoop some coffee and put the scoop with the coffee in the machine to brew. That would seem to offer a much less expensive alternative with infinite variety. Sadly, I haven't seen the ad since.
How is that different from a regular drip pot?

I saw that too. Was it Nestle Dolce Gusto maybe?

No, it definitely was not that.

It was a fairly traditional looking device. I recall the brand name was a recognizable US brand. I just don't remember which one. :(

No, it definitely was not that.

It was a fairly traditional looking device. I recall the brand name was a recognizable US brand. I just don't remember which one. :(

I was in Target tonight and saw the Hamilton Beach "The Scoop" you use the filter assembly as a scoop and it locks into the machine to brew a single cup. Is this it?

Hamilton Beach: The Scoop™ Single-Serve Coffeemaker (49981)
49981_hero.jpg

Last edited:
I was in Target tonight and saw the Hamilton Beach "The Scoop" you use the filter assembly as a scoop and it locks into the machine to brew a single cup. Is this it?

Hamilton Beach: The Scoop™ Single-Serve Coffeemaker (49981)
49981_hero.jpg

YES! That's it. Thanks for digging it up.

I don't know why I didn't see it advertised more. It looks like it combines the benefits of the Keurig or Tassimo without the need to buy or make K-Cups. This would make single cup brewing much more economical.

I have no idea how good a cup of coffee it makes.

I want a Keurig and I don't even drink coffee! We talked about getting one for Christmas, but didn't go for it.....

I've had a couple cups of English Breakfast Tea from a friend's pot, but thought the tea tasted a bit of coffee. Would that be my imagination? Can the flavors transfer?

I want a Keurig and I don't even drink coffee! We talked about getting one for Christmas, but didn't go for it.....

I've had a couple cups of English Breakfast Tea from a friend's pot, but thought the tea tasted a bit of coffee. Would that be my imagination? Can the flavors transfer?

I have not had a problem with flavor transfer, but I wash & rinse the cup holder at least one a week.

We have an electric water kettle. It heats water to boiling faster than a pot on the stove. It's perfect if you want to brew a single cup of tea. (ans a lot cheaper than the Keurig)

No flavor transfer here either. However, I use it for making a quick cup of tea nearly as often as I make a cup of coffee. I LOVE this thing. So much faster than the kettle for tea, and the My Cup thing is just right. I don't feel like I have to buy the K Cups at all. I bought some for my daughter. She likes the flavored coffees. I might buy some hot chocolate for my other daughter to try.

We have a Keurig at home, cottage and at work. Love them all. Solo fill cup works well & no problems with a bit of grounds down the sink. But I love having such a variety of coffees, teas, hot chocolate, iced tea etc...
Platinum unit at home broke down, but a phone call to Keurig and they sent me a new one no problems! Only took a couple days.

Just made a mocha with the tassimo, one espresso disk, followed by a chocolate syrup disk, wow really tasty! I may just become a coffee addict with this thing.

So much for being low maintenance with coffee......

I guess that is why I am fine with the Keurig, I just like a simple coffee, a little sugar and half&half. My days of buying $4 coffees are done.
Funny story. About 7 years ago, I was up in arms about my wife's coffee habits. She was spending an average of $6 a day on fancy Italian coffee drinks at one of the chain coffee retailers. It was costing us close to $150 a month... for COFFEE.

One day I said, "if I were to figure out a way to make coffee as good at home, would you give up the buying coffee at that place?" She doubted we could make coffee as good at home, but agreed to try. So I first bought a smaller espresso machine. It made good coffee, but was very time consuming because you had to wait for the water to heat up, grind the beans, tamp them down, froth the milk, etc, etc.

Didn't work. She went back to the coffee shop within a month. So I sold the original espresso maker on eBay and went out on a mission to buy an easy-to-use Italian coffee maker. I ended up spending around $900 on a refurbished machine from Italy. It was a 60 lb behemoth that took up a good chunk of countertop real estate. But it was simple. All you did was put a coffee cup under the spout and push a button (you still had to froth the milk separately, but it was a much easier setup). Voila!

When I told DW how much it cost, I thought we were headed for a divorce. But after I explained how much it would save us over time, she conceded that maybe it was a good buy.

Over time, we learned how to make all of our favorites drinks at home. We still have that machine and it still works great. And over the 7 years we've owned it, I estimate we've probably saved somewhere around $9,000 on coffee drinks.

But the best part is that a couple of months ago we stopped in at the place that was once her favorite coffee shop and bought a couple of those expensive drinks she used to love. My wife took one sip and said "Hmm. Not as good what we make at home". :)

Last edited:
The local hardware store has Keurig coffee advertised on their sign out front. There must be something to this. I'm suprised it was spelt right ;^)

I bought a variety pack of t-disks, I tried the gevalia morning blend (makes a big 12 oz cup) and gevalia signature roast (8 oz.) And I am really liking the signature roast, it has a lot of the qualities that I like in Dunkin' Donuts coffee, I like it much more than the Maxwell house. I still have to try the French vanilla from the variety pack. I have 2 free packs coming from tassimo for registering the brewer, a regular latte, and a macchiato, I look forward to those.

I got my 2 free boxes of stuff from Tassimo today and I opted for the Jacob's Latte Macchiato and a Gevalia Latte. This is the Macchiato.

IMAG0073-1-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom