"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Temperature-time converters for colder ovens

I have an electric oven which, although its rated highest temperature is 240 degrees Celsius, can only manage about 120 in reality.

I would like to know if there is any kind of conversion table I can use to adjust cooking times for lower temperatures.

For example, if something needs 20 minutes at 220 degrees, what time should that be at 120? Is there a formula or table somewhere that can be used to make the adjustment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

David, welcome to DC.

120C (248F) isn't really hot enough to cook anything except slow cooking barbecue. Consider getting the stove fixed or replaced.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi !!
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Cook Time vs Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I have an electric oven which, although its rated highest temperature is 240 degrees Celsius, can only manage about 120 in reality.

I would like to know if there is any kind of conversion table I can use to adjust cooking times for lower temperatures.

For example, if something needs 20 minutes at 220 degrees, what time should that be at 120? Is there a formula or table somewhere that can be used to make the adjustment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately, there is no real way to call out numbers, as the variables are to great. 120C is sufficient to cause boiling, thus "cooking" anything containing water. However, the fats reach higher than 100C before boiling, much higher, thus fat-contents cause higher local temperature, while the water content boils away at 100C, the two co-occurring together.

As a guess, I would say that 120C will cause a doubling of cooking time compared to 220C. Please don't quote me though!
Old 11-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the replies.

Last year I was able to cook a Christmas cake whose recommended temperature was 140 but 120 with fan assistance. Using the recipe's 30-45-minute extra-time margin, the cake was baked successfully.

With my planned mince pies, however, this looks like a whole new ball game as their cooking temperature is 220/200. My reasoning was that, given enough time, 120 is enough to burn something so I was wondering if that meant that, although not ideal, it might have the same effect as cooking it at the target temperature. However, baking is the one area of traditional cooking that I have the least experience with.

Minor correction: I've rechecked the dial and the maximum rated temperature is actually 230 degrees Celsius, not 240.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I would check you heating units. Sounds like one of them is bad. or they are the wrong ones.

GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven, temperature