Temperature-time converters for colder ovens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Young

Assistant Cook
I have an electric oven which, although its rated highest temperature is 240 degrees Celsius, can only manage about 120 in reality.

I would like to know if there is any kind of conversion table I can use to adjust cooking times for lower temperatures.

For example, if something needs 20 minutes at 220 degrees, what time should that be at 120? Is there a formula or table somewhere that can be used to make the adjustment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David, welcome to DC.

120ºC (248ºF) isn't really hot enough to cook anything except slow cooking barbecue. Consider getting the stove fixed or replaced.

Cook Time vs Temperature

I have an electric oven which, although its rated highest temperature is 240 degrees Celsius, can only manage about 120 in reality.

I would like to know if there is any kind of conversion table I can use to adjust cooking times for lower temperatures.

For example, if something needs 20 minutes at 220 degrees, what time should that be at 120? Is there a formula or table somewhere that can be used to make the adjustment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, there is no real way to call out numbers, as the variables are to great. 120C is sufficient to cause boiling, thus "cooking" anything containing water. However, the fats reach higher than 100C before boiling, much higher, thus fat-contents cause higher local temperature, while the water content boils away at 100C, the two co-occurring together.

As a guess, I would say that 120C will cause a doubling of cooking time compared to 220C. Please don't quote me though!

Thank you for the replies.

Last year I was able to cook a Christmas cake whose recommended temperature was 140 but 120 with fan assistance. Using the recipe's 30-45-minute extra-time margin, the cake was baked successfully.

With my planned mince pies, however, this looks like a whole new ball game as their cooking temperature is 220/200. My reasoning was that, given enough time, 120 is enough to burn something so I was wondering if that meant that, although not ideal, it might have the same effect as cooking it at the target temperature. However, baking is the one area of traditional cooking that I have the least experience with.

Minor correction: I've rechecked the dial and the maximum rated temperature is actually 230 degrees Celsius, not 240.

Back
Top Bottom