"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Flour Child

"The Blessing of the Blender" Party

I got a new blender finally! And a good deal on Black Friday!
And based on a thread here in the discuss cooking forum
(link below includes video testing), I chose a Kitchenaid.
Thankyou NoodleIncident

Now I'm having a "Blessing of the Blender" Party for the fam!
(get it? play on words "Blessing of the Hounds" in Hunt Country and England)
and could use ideas for what to blend and serve?
Maybe Margaritas and Mexican food?

I've waited a long time for a good blender...i hope this is it! I'll report back with my critique.

Post #9 youtube testing by Popular Mechanic:
Blenders - Two Options

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac

Congratulations!! You have a good one there. It is funny, when I saw "Blessing of the Blender", I immediately thought you were naming it! So are you?

I use mine for so many things from protein drinks to soups. Possibilities are endless.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Flour Child

I never thought to name it...i can barely remember my own name much less my appliances . This one better crush ice...that's all I can say

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Master Chef

Congrats MA !! You scored the best.

There are good blenders, and bad blenders. Then there are bad to the bone blenders.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
There are good blenders, and bad blenders. Then there are bad to the bone blenders.
LOL Those are great!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Why not try some Bass?
Super Bass-O-Matic from popeboyy
Old 12-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Flour Child

hahahahahahahaha, kayelle and rock

Old 12-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Head Chef

Congrats MA !! You scored the best.

When I read "Blessing of the blenders" I thought "Blessing of the bikes." This just confirmed it!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Senior Cook

glad i could help! its def a good blender, and i think you will really like it....it may not be a blendtec or vitamix, but its certainly better than most any other blender in that price range, and it will definitely destroy ice (easily)

what kind of deal did you get?

now that ive had mine a few months, i can add a few more comments:
the most common thing we make is frozen smoothies, but i also make soups, sauces and dressings....as long as you have sufficient liquid, the blender will tackle most jobs easily, without the need for shaking or stirring....occasionally, when i do need to shake or stir, i discover that the mixture is way thicker than i thought, and just needs more juice to get things flowing....i often use the ice crush feature to get things going, and then finish with the other normal speeds...the smoothies i get from this thing are noticeably smoother than smoothies ive made in other machines...ive gotten in the habit of holding the carafe on the base (by pushing down on the top) when blending - otherwise, you get a little bit of vibration - not sure if the vibration will damage the unit or not, but i prefer to stop it

also, soon after getting mine, i starting to get that "overheating" smell, that you usually get from a cheap blender that is about to die....it hadnt affected performance, but i gave KA a call to see if it is normal and they sent me a brand new without me even asking for one.....ive also noticed that the new one sort of has that smell, but ive been using it anyway with no ill effects....if for some reason it does become a problem, i know KA has good customer service and will take care of it

overall, im very happy....its a solid blender that works really well and has good customer service to back it up....hope you enjoy yours....what color did you get?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
what kind of deal did you get?

William Sonoma has the same blender for $159 but I got mine on sale for $69 at Macy's. Target has the same one for their regular price of $99. I have noticed that there are different models but I don't know the difference.