Thermometer instruction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BJplusMilo21

Assistant Cook
The instructions that I received with the thermometer tells me not to put it in water, so how would one clean it?

could it simply be telling me not to put it in hot water or that putting in water will screw the results while testing the meat?

Note: it is not a digital one.

Last edited:
The instructions that I received with the thermometer tells me not to put it in water, so how would one clean it?

could it simply be telling me not to put it in hot water or that putting in water will screw the results while testing the meat?

Note: it is not a digital one.

Just wipe the probe with a clean wet cloth or sponge. You will often see chefs test a piece of meat, wipe it off with his towel and them put it back in his pocket. You really DON'T want to put it in water. It will screw it up. :angel:

Just wipe the probe with a clean wet cloth or sponge. You will often see chefs test a piece of meat, wipe it off with his towel and them put it back in his pocket. You really DON'T want to put it in water. It will screw it up. :angel:

That's strange when most meat is made of water or is moist.

The probe in water is no problem, but the top where the dial is, is not waterproof. Working in food service, if the thermometer is left in the sink, water seeps in.

The most accurate way to calibrate a thermometer is in ice water (using boiling water isn't accurate, because water boils at different temperatures depending on elevation, but 32 degrees is always 32 degrees.)

The probe is not the problem. It is where the numbers are. It is not a digital. Thus inside is a spring that responds to the temp of the food and can rust very easily. You can't put digital ones in water either. :angel:

Most of the thermometers I have bought say not to submerge in water. As Addie wrote, just wipe it with a clean, damp cloth. I was lucky to get one for candy and deep frying that is dishwasher safe.

If necessary, you can rub it with dry baking soda and a very slightly damp cloth to remove gunk or stains and then rinse the probe.

Last edited:
You can wash and rinse the probe part of the thermometer. Keep the top part dry. I've been washing dial and digital thermometers that way for years. I use a soapy sponge to wash the probe then rinse it under running water. Dry and store.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom