Thinking about a pressure cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got back from the store a little while ago. Among other things I wanted to get while there (and I did eat first, lol) I had to get some more beef broth and celery, which I don't usually use in anything, but what the hey. I'd like to make some chicken soup later, so the celery shouldn't go bad before used up (or fed to my chickens). All I had were big Mayan onions, too, but wally world didn't have the small bags of golf ball sized yellow onions I like to use in a roast, so I got some baseball sized sweet onions. I really did not want to part with my Mayans in a roast.....

So, I figured I would take the meat out of the freezer and toss it in the sink to partially thaw. Chances are I would never just decide on a roast without at least a little notice to myself. I plan on starting things in 2-3 hours.

In the meantime...... I Googled "pressure cooking frozen meat" and came upon this site Pressure Cooker Recipes For your reading enjoyment :)

Interesting thread on pressure cookers. I would like to get one some day and this thread is helpful..

I think next time that I do a pot roast, I'm going to try doing it in the PC just to see the difference between slow cooking it and speed cooking it.

I haven't done it that way in a while.

I had three, large, country style pork "ribs" thawed last night for dinner and wasn't sure how I wanted to do them. I didn't have a taste for barbeque.
What I did was season them with s&p, garlic powder and onion powder, then browned them in some oil in the PC. I set them aside and browned some cut up potato chunks, too. I was done browning inside of thirty minutes.
I set the meat on top of the potatoes, poured in about 10-12 ounces of chicken broth and set the PC on high for 45 minutes.

OMG :chef:
It was like eating a rolled pork roast that had been slow cooked in the oven for four hours. The meat was so tender you didn't need a knife. And it wasn't swimming in juice... just enough to do the cooking job and the potatoes kept the meat elevated above most of the juice, but my PC came with a rack anyway.
This was by far my best meal yet. Maybe because I didn't follow a recipe and kept the ingredients simple :)

One of the recipes I got with it was for a whole chicken, then you go on to make soup from the liquid.

I have tried cooking navy beans for baked beans twice. I used two cookbooks for reference. One said 20 minutes and the second 9 minutes. The first was mush and the second was too well done, also. They both say to let the pressure out naturally which I did. What am I doing wrong??????

I think next time that I do a pot roast, I'm going to try doing it in the PC just to see the difference between slow cooking it and speed cooking it.

The only difference is the time it takes to cook - taste is the same.

...all chicken references will be removed :LOL:

pacanis - simple is always the best! :chef:

So anyway... I said I was going to make it again :)
How can you not love something that takes 1/5 the time? I compare it to a slow cooker, but waaaay faster. Not like slow cooking something in the oven, but a moist, well flavored meal like you would get slow cooking one all day.
All except the beans. Gotta use the stove for something.
I flaked the pork so you can see how tender it was. And the bone on this country rib fell off, but it still had some meat on it, so it was worth putting on the plate, too :)
Now I need to turn that juice into gravy!

Attachments

• country ribs1.jpg
    country ribs1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 141
  • roasted potatoes.jpg
    roasted potatoes.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 183
  • country ribs and potatoes.jpg
    country ribs and potatoes.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 148
A PC is my version of a microwave! Don't you just love it pacanis??????

That's some mighty fine looking food you got there!

Now you're cookin', pacanis. Don'tcha just love your pressure cooker? I made an awesome vegetable beef soup on Friday in the pressure cooker. Yum, yum, double yum.

Gonna do my corned beef in it for St. Pat's Day, too!!!

Now you're cookin', pacanis. Don'tcha just love your pressure cooker? I made an awesome vegetable beef soup on Friday in the pressure cooker. Yum, yum, double yum.

Gonna do my corned beef in it for St. Pat's Day, too!!!

Katie - there's always that moment when I first remove the lid when making corned beef that my heart drops a bit seeing how much it shrank! :LOL:

I DO love it!
Cooking with something that can blow up in your face adds a whole new element to fixin' dinner. :LOL:
Really, this thing is great. I'm going to have to keep trying new things to do. Maybe that chicken recipe that came with it that turns into a soup might be next.
We have a slow cooker forum..... we need a pressure cooker forum for some specific recipes :rolleyes:

Katie - there's always that moment when I first remove the lid when making corned beef that my heart drops a bit seeing how much it shrank! :LOL:

Oh, boy, ain't that the truth?! I keep buying bigger and bigger and bigger ones but - dad blast it - it still happens. Oh, what a shame, I still have a bunch of corned beef.

But, crap and a half, I have to wait a week for that yummy taste.

Hey, what's worse, my younger sister is going to be in Blarney, Ireland on St. Patrick's Day. Doggone it!

I haven't had corned beef in ages.
I don't know how my mother cooked it, but I know she didn't have a PC.
Geez. And I'm half Irish.

At least I eat a lot of potatoes :)

I know that this is a somewhat old post, but it was of interest to me. My brother has had a digital pc for 2 yrs. and I have wanted one for that long. We ate supper with him the other night and he had cooked a beef roast and it was delicious. So tender. I said I have got to get me one. So my dh said go ahead and buy one. Got it today. Have not used it because ups brought it so late in the day. I am anxious to try it, but a little nervous. You know how it is when your not familiar with controls like that. I bought a roast today and plan to use it tomorrow. The only thing that I didn't like was that it is teflon coated. Even though I knew it was nonstick, I guess I thought it was different from that . I will really have to be careful not to scratch it. Also, do you use the rack all the time in yours? Faye

I know that this is a somewhat old post, but it was of interest to me. My brother has had a digital pc for 2 yrs. and I have wanted one for that long. We ate supper with him the other night and he had cooked a beef roast and it was delicious. So tender. I said I have got to get me one. So my dh said go ahead and buy one. Got it today. Have not used it because ups brought it so late in the day. I am anxious to try it, but a little nervous. You know how it is when your not familiar with controls like that. I bought a roast today and plan to use it tomorrow. The only thing that I didn't like was that it is teflon coated. Even though I knew it was nonstick, I guess I thought it was different from that . I will really have to be careful not to scratch it. Also, do you use the rack all the time in yours? Faye

Hi, Faye. Does "digital" mean the pressure cooker is electric rather than stove-top? If it is electric, I can't really offer an opinion about using it. I have a stove-top Kuhn Rikon that I love. No Teflon on mine so, again, no help to you.

However, once you "get in the groove" using your pressure cooker, you'll love it. Enjoy!

bring up this old post all you want. It's mine. :LOL:
I have plenty of plastic-like utensils to use with mine and picked up some silicone (or something) coated tongs. Treat non-stick well and it will treat you well. I've had no problem with mine and can't believe how easy it cleans. Stuff doesn't stick with steam cooking.
I have yet to use the metal rack that came with it. I use the veggies as a "rack" to keep the meat off the bottom.

You will really like it. I wouldn't call it an everyday item by any means, but I would replace it in a heartbeat when the time comes. I love the fact that it's digital and can basically operate itself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom