Thinking about a pressure cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I didn't want to hijack the other thread as they're moreso looking for recipes, but it looks like a few of you use pressure cookers quite often. Do you really make stuff like stews and pot roasts in them as opposed to the old fashioned way, on the stovetop or in a slow cooker or the oven? Do you really pull out the PC for mashed potatoes as opposed to dropping them in boiling water, or use your PC for steaming a few veggies?

The reason I ask is because I just saw this one on QVC. It looks pretty nice and seems to be marked down a lot, though I've never priced out PCs, so maybe the price isn't that great, but the thing that stands out most is you can use it as a slow cooker! That's a feature I haven't heard about before.
Check it out. You will need to click on "Anniversary specials" then scroll down to K14957.... I can't get the direct link to copy and paste for some reason.... QVC.com – The Official Site
They have a couple good vids, especially the first one I think. I've only done beer can or fried chicken, this chicken demo looks like something I might do that's a heck of a lot quicker and gives you a soup for the next day. Or maybe tossing in frozen shortribs like I was asking about doing in a slow cooker.

What do you think? Time for me to get a pressure cooker that doubles as a slow cooker?

I will be watching this thread with great interest, especially if they can double as slow cookers (saves me counter space!)
Hey, wouldn't it be great to create your own KFC in it? You could use real chicken and omit the tons of salt and grease they have...

Well I'm all about a pressure cooker, as a few others are too! I've never had an electric pressure cooker so I can't comment on your possible choice - others can, I feel sure.

In the other thread there were websites and authors mentioned. Once you use it a couple times you will feel more comfortable creating your own recipes.

Yes, I use it for beef roasts, pork butt roasts, whole chickens, chicken pieces, short ribs, oxtails, etc.... any of those meats that take low and slow are perfect for a pressure cooker. Oh, I also use it to cook pintos, and other dried beans. I have never used it to cook rice or potatoes - I just do those the old-fashioned way! I know I could better utilize it and I'll have to start doing that. Soups are a wonderful thing to cook also - black bean, minestrone, chicken & dumplings, a LOT of different soups!

My suggestions would be to get the Cooking Under Pressure cookbook - or go to some of the websites mentioned. You will be hooked in no time!

Last edited:
I will be watching this thread with great interest, especially if they can double as slow cookers (saves me counter space!)
Hey, wouldn't it be great to create your own KFC in it? You could use real chicken and omit the tons of salt and grease they have...

Let me give this warning now - you cannot fry chicken in these types of pressure cookers. The kind of pressure cookers that fry chicken have lids that are screwed and bolted down - the home pressure cooker would be extremely dangerous - so please, don't do it!!!!!!!!

Well I'm all about a pressure cooker, as a few others are too! I've never had an electric pressure cooker so I can't comment on your possible choice - others can, I feel sure.

In the other thread there were websites and authors mentioned. Once you use it a couple times you will feel more comfortable creating your own recipes.

Yes, I use it for beef roasts, pork butt roasts, whole chickens, chicken pieces, short ribs, oxtails, etc.... any of those meats that take low and slow are perfect for a pressure cooker. Oh, I also use it to cook pintos, and other dried beans. I have never used it to cook rice or potatoes - I just do those the old-fashioned way! I know I could better utilize it and I'll have to start doing that. Soups are a wonderful thing to cook also - black bean, minestrone, chicken & dumplings, a LOT of different soups!

My suggestions would be to get the Cooking Under Pressure cookbook - or go to some of the websites mentioned. You will be hooked in no time!

Did you mean also good for a pressure cooker?
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

That's what I'm thinking.... one appliance that pulls several duties.
As for KFC... I like my salt and grease, errr I mean seasoning and juices ;) It's what makes KFC KFC.

Well, I'd like to hear from some of the experts here - it could be that you might be able to use it for frying chicken - I'm not going to change my mind until these others weigh in though.

I like everything about KFC except the salt, it is usually too much for me.

So what are the benefits of using the pressure cooker over a slow cooker if they can pretty much cook the same things?

So what are the benefits of using the pressure cooker over a slow cooker if they can pretty much cook the same things?

They make up for poor planning. I can't always be sure of what I want to cook so I can go to the store after work and have a more traditional slow-cooked/braised meal in a matter of an hour or sometimes two. And sometimes when I cook chicken pieces I'm not at home to have them slow cook for 4 hours or so - so it's 20 minutes in the PC instead.

I have a hard time converting recipes to a slow cooker but no problem at all with a pressure cooker. I have been using a pressure cooker way longer than a slower cooker. It's just what I'm comfortable with - - - - - oh, and it makes up for poor planning - did I mention that?

So it might have something to do with poor planning, but you are not sure??:LOL:

Ok, so you get the same effect of a slow cooker but in a lot less time. That would definitely be a benefit. And if it can double as a slow cooker as well, then all bases covered it would seem.

By the way, when one person says slow cooker and another says crock pot I always assumed they were talking about the same thing, am I wrong?

I know with my crock pot I start it on low in the morning before I leave the house so it will be done when I get home, maybe I am more daring?

Crockpot versus slow cooker is like saying Kleenex versus tissue - one is registered.

I think some older ones actually had elements running up the sides of them - or was it strictly on the bottom? It may have been just the bottom because things used to burn in them if I recall correctly.

My slowcooker has a separate base that is the heating element, which is nice because you can put the pot part in the dishwasher. I never burned anything though.... Maybe because technically it was a separate heating element and didn't get very hot. It's ancient, but works great.

I like the idea of this electric pressure cooker because of the timers. That seems like a really nice feature that's actually needed if you want to be able to walk away and the the PC do its thing. I remember looking up Emeril's one pot pressure cooker. It worked from the burner and he made some really good looking oxtails in it by browning them first, right in the pot. If you noticed, this one by QVC has a browning feature. The one by Emeril was 150 bucks :shock: That seemed a little over the top for basically a pot with a tight fitting lid.

I've had several pressure cookers over the years. Mirro at first and then big ones for canning quarts (meat) and now I got the Fagor which comes with two bottoms. It really has taken the guessing out of that little bobbing stopcock.
I used to use mine a lot more 40 years ago, but then crockpots hadn't come into their own then. Now I use it for canning and for dried beans as well as steaming Boston brown bread. But I think the difference in the two appliances, is whether you think about things 8 hours before you want it done, or 1/2 hour before you want it done! I use the crockpot if I am with it the night before and have things prepared to stick the ingredients into the pot in the morning. The pressure cooker gets used when I want something done and I haven't done my prethinking.
One of my family's favorite recipes was stuffed heart cooked in the pressure cooker. Even people who thought they didn't like organ meat would go crazy for that stuffed heart, served with gravy and mashed potatoes. It's sure hard to get heart anymore around here unless I have a hunter save me a venison one.

I don't own an electric pressure cooker but as some others I have used my pressure cooker since I learned to cook.

It not just helps with poor planning but in these times when gas is so expensive it also helps use less gas. I use it to cook beans and all sorts of stews and curries.

You can also cook rice and any types of vegetables also in the cooker. It's a versatile peice of equipment if you get comfortable with it.

I am not a huge fan of too many appliances that clutter my countertop. To me a stove top pressure cooker doubles as a stockpot as well. I purchased a heavy duty one that is made by SEB (that also makes TFal) and I paid close to 200 dollars for it but it's extremely heavy duty (aluminum core with stainless) and it works very well.

Generally speaking about making a one pot meal in a pressure cooker;

If the meat is frozen, should the veggies be frozen, too? Or is this where you would cook in two phases, starting with the meat, stopping and adding the rest of your ingredients?

Generally speaking about making a one pot meal in a pressure cooker;

If the meat is frozen, should the veggies be frozen, too? Or is this where you would cook in two phases, starting with the meat, stopping and adding the rest of your ingredients?

I would cook the meat first (determine when it's about 3/4 of the way done or so. And you usually can't overcook a pot roast anyway. Then use what is called the "quick release" method. Take your PC (mine is not electric so I don't know how you do this for an electric one) and sit it in your sink and let the water run over it. I use the sprayer to get all the sides. Once the pressure is released remove the lid, add your veggies, replace lid, and continue cooking. Start timing once it starts hissing (or however you know yours has come to temp).

I would like to add that I would still add some onions, carrots, celery to start the seasoning process of the meat though. Just add fresh later.

Back
Top Bottom