"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Thinking about a pressure cooker

I didn't want to hijack the other thread as they're moreso looking for recipes, but it looks like a few of you use pressure cookers quite often. Do you really make stuff like stews and pot roasts in them as opposed to the old fashioned way, on the stovetop or in a slow cooker or the oven? Do you really pull out the PC for mashed potatoes as opposed to dropping them in boiling water, or use your PC for steaming a few veggies?

The reason I ask is because I just saw this one on QVC. It looks pretty nice and seems to be marked down a lot, though I've never priced out PCs, so maybe the price isn't that great, but the thing that stands out most is you can use it as a slow cooker! That's a feature I haven't heard about before.
Check it out. You will need to click on "Anniversary specials" then scroll down to K14957.... I can't get the direct link to copy and paste for some reason.... QVC.com – The Official Site
They have a couple good vids, especially the first one I think. I've only done beer can or fried chicken, this chicken demo looks like something I might do that's a heck of a lot quicker and gives you a soup for the next day. Or maybe tossing in frozen shortribs like I was asking about doing in a slow cooker.

What do you think? Time for me to get a pressure cooker that doubles as a slow cooker?
Thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Master Chef

I will be watching this thread with great interest, especially if they can double as slow cookers (saves me counter space!)
Hey, wouldn't it be great to create your own KFC in it? You could use real chicken and omit the tons of salt and grease they have...

Old 02-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well I'm all about a pressure cooker, as a few others are too! I've never had an electric pressure cooker so I can't comment on your possible choice - others can, I feel sure.

In the other thread there were websites and authors mentioned. Once you use it a couple times you will feel more comfortable creating your own recipes.

Yes, I use it for beef roasts, pork butt roasts, whole chickens, chicken pieces, short ribs, oxtails, etc.... any of those meats that take low and slow are perfect for a pressure cooker. Oh, I also use it to cook pintos, and other dried beans. I have never used it to cook rice or potatoes - I just do those the old-fashioned way! I know I could better utilize it and I'll have to start doing that. Soups are a wonderful thing to cook also - black bean, minestrone, chicken & dumplings, a LOT of different soups!

My suggestions would be to get the Cooking Under Pressure cookbook - or go to some of the websites mentioned. You will be hooked in no time!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I will be watching this thread with great interest, especially if they can double as slow cookers (saves me counter space!)
Hey, wouldn't it be great to create your own KFC in it? You could use real chicken and omit the tons of salt and grease they have...
Let me give this warning now - you cannot fry chicken in these types of pressure cookers. The kind of pressure cookers that fry chicken have lids that are screwed and bolted down - the home pressure cooker would be extremely dangerous - so please, don't do it!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Master Chef

Well thats a total bummer! :(
Old 02-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Well I'm all about a pressure cooker, as a few others are too! I've never had an electric pressure cooker so I can't comment on your possible choice - others can, I feel sure.

In the other thread there were websites and authors mentioned. Once you use it a couple times you will feel more comfortable creating your own recipes.

Yes, I use it for beef roasts, pork butt roasts, whole chickens, chicken pieces, short ribs, oxtails, etc.... any of those meats that take low and slow are perfect for a pressure cooker. Oh, I also use it to cook pintos, and other dried beans. I have never used it to cook rice or potatoes - I just do those the old-fashioned way! I know I could better utilize it and I'll have to start doing that. Soups are a wonderful thing to cook also - black bean, minestrone, chicken & dumplings, a LOT of different soups!

My suggestions would be to get the Cooking Under Pressure cookbook - or go to some of the websites mentioned. You will be hooked in no time!
Did you mean also good for a pressure cooker?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
That's what I'm thinking.... one appliance that pulls several duties.
As for KFC... I like my salt and grease, errr I mean seasoning and juices It's what makes KFC KFC.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Did you mean also good for a pressure cooker?
Why, whatever do you mean, dear? Yes, that's what I meant and I changed it so people wouldn't get confused!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, I'd like to hear from some of the experts here - it could be that you might be able to use it for frying chicken - I'm not going to change my mind until these others weigh in though.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Master Chef

I like everything about KFC except the salt, it is usually too much for me.

So what are the benefits of using the pressure cooker over a slow cooker if they can pretty much cook the same things?