"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
My favorite microwave had a temp probe. omg, that was wonderful. It also came with a ceramic soup/casserole pot type thing.

I didn't have to moniter anything. The probe turned the microwave off when the temp that you programmed in, was reached.

I believe that was a Sharp.
My favourite microwave also had the temperature probe and a rack for top/bottom cooking. We're talking about a model that came out around 1980 and was large enough to cook a small turkey (not that I would have). It was programmable for up to 500 of my own recipes and I could actually make a pan of lasagna in it (yes, you *can* make good microwave lasagna, but the ovens these days aren't large enough to hold a 13X9 glass pan). I had it programmed for a lot of recipes. For a while I shared a house with my brother and he had the same model so we switched from using mine after a couple of years to using his. Something about being fair, I dunno He got married and I got my own place. When I plugged it back in, the dang thing still had all my recipes in memory!

It was an RCA model. It's the only one I've ever actually used for cooking. The microwaves these days are all about smaller, sort of like the trend with cell phones. When my old one died, I got a Panasonic. The only thing I use it for now is reheating stuff. I could probably live without it.

Fraidy

Old 10-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I only use it to reheat now too. Sometimes I'll cook some fish for lunch, if I'm in a hurry. My sister uses one for every meal, just about.

If I had the temp probe, I'd probably use it more. My microwave now can fit a 13x9 pan in it.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #13
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
I only use it to reheat now too. Sometimes I'll cook some fish for lunch, if I'm in a hurry. My sister uses one for every meal, just about.

If I had the temp probe, I'd probably use it more. My microwave now can fit a 13x9 pan in it.
Let's just say, a 13X9 pan will fit but this model has a turntable and no way to turn it off! ARRRRGH! I was budget challenged when I bought the thing and I didn't even think about an on/off switch for the turntable. Otherwise, I could still probably use it to make microwave lasagna. But I'm not sure I'd trust this one to handle a job like that. But if anyone is interested, I'll be glad to provide the recipe!

I loved my old one and will always have fond memories of it. Not only the temp probe, which was great! I could take an entree I'd prepared and frozen, uncooked, and put it in the microwave before I left for work. I'd set it to start cooking before I got home from work at X temp (or multiple temps) for X time. It would thaw in the microwave while I was gone - no, I'm not paranoid about that - then start cooking and be halfway done when I got in the door! Just enough time for a shower, change of clothes, a glass of wine, and dinner was served!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidKnot

I loved my old one and will always have fond memories of it. Not only the temp probe, which was great! I could take an entree I'd prepared and frozen, uncooked, and put it in the microwave before I left for work. I'd set it to start cooking before I got home from work at X temp (or multiple temps) for X time. It would thaw in the microwave while I was gone - no, I'm not paranoid about that - then start cooking and be halfway done when I got in the door! Just enough time for a shower, change of clothes, a glass of wine, and dinner was served!
I sure they still make them, with the probe, but when my microwave dies, I just go buy a new one and never researched it. Perhaps I will do that right now.

All I found, after a quick search, was people looking for them. http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Tempe...ed_20Microwave
Old 10-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
I sure they still make them, with the probe, but when my microwave dies, I just go buy a new one and never researched it. Perhaps I will do that right now.

All I found, after a quick search, was people looking for them. http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Tempe...ed_20Microwave
I got an old Tappen that has a probe, but I never use it. When I say Old I mean old. It was made back when they thought we would use them for everyday cooking. Mine has an oven so big you can put a turkey in it. It also has a browning thing-a-majig on top of the oven.

I was curious so I just checked the cookbook that came with it and it has a copyright of 1979!! Still works like a champ too! My Mom and Dad gave it to us when they bought a smaller one.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #16
Executive Chef

SilverCliff, you are a lucky man! Mine didn't have a browning element.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercliff_46
I got an old Tappen that has a probe, but I never use it. When I say Old I mean old. It was made back when they thought we would use them for everyday cooking. Mine has an oven so big you can put a turkey in it. It also has a browning thing-a-majig on top of the oven.

I was curious so I just checked the cookbook that came with it and it has a copyright of 1979!! Still works like a champ too! My Mom and Dad gave it to us when they bought a smaller one.

Don't throw it away! Not many come with that now.

It's either a straight microwave, one with a toaster (like mine), one with a coffee maker or a combo-convection unit.

~Corey123.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #18
Cook

We have had 2 smaller waves that have died, but the old Tappen is like the Energizer Bunny it just keeps rolling along.

I think the only thing we ever use a wave for is thawing, reheating and popcorn.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I've never actually cooked or defrosted anything in one myself.

I use it mainly for reheating and for making popcorn. But it can assist in cooking, such as for softening or melting butter, steaming veggies as well as for softening brown sugar that has become hard as a rock.

~Corey123.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I've never actually cooked or defrosted anything in one myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
it can assist in cooking, such as for ...steaming veggies...
If you have ever steamed veggies in a microwave then you have cooked in a microwave.