Time to Buy a New Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
My 15 y/o microwave died the other day so now I must find a replacement. This is where I'm having trouble.

It looks like I'm gonna have to downgrade in interior size due to the way new microwaves are built. As long as all my dishes and pots fit in the new one, should there be any problems with cooking anything? The new microwave would have the same watts as my old one, but the new one would have a much smaller interior capacity. I don't do microwave cooking very much but when I do it's usually Rice-A-Roni and Pasta-Roni, meatloafs, and cakes.

Also, durability and safety are very important to me. Does anyone have any brands that they feel are bad?
Because of the size issue, I'm left with brands and models that are questionable. It's looking like I may have to go with a Magic Chef - model MCM1110B. I thought that Magic Chef was not a very good brand, but most of the reviews have been favorable. Whereas the Panasonic reviews have been rather lousy.

So, I would love to hear opinions on this. Thanks.

The two major considerations are wattage (power) and turntable size. I think 1000 watts is a minimum. The turntable has to accommodate the plates/pans you typically use.

There are plenty of places online that provide reviews of different brands. The price for the one you linked is very good. I can't say anything about the MC brand.

I have a 15 YO Sharp. 1100watts and a 13" turntable. It works great but the display has been shot for a couple of years. The way we use it to reheat/defrost foods the loss of the display doesn't matter much.

I say get the largest container you think you might use and go to store. Check what works for you. Check the price, compare with online purchases and you'll know what to get.

I like commercial style microwaves with minimal amount of features. They're a little more expensive and heavier duty than the average home microwave.

Suggestions? Mine is about had it. I would like a commercial type.
We only use it for heating tasks. We never use it for cooking anything.

Suggestions? Mine is about had it. I would like a commercial type.
We only use it for heating tasks. We never use it for cooking anything.

I don't have any particular models in mind but everytime I visit Costco Business Center or Restaurant Depot I look at their small appliances. I particularly like microwaves with the big old analog dials.

My problem is that I've spent countless hours researching and my results are contradicting what people say about good and bad brands.
I'm only looking at brands and models with 4 star or better reviews. Of those models and reviews, the Magic Chefs are showing to be a higher rated (possibly better and more durable) microwave than Panasonic or Sharp. However, people are telling me that Magic Chefs are pure junk. Everyone says Panasonic and Sharp are the best. It's just that the data doesn't back that up. One person did admit that they're just going off personal experience.

But just because that Panasonic you've had for 15+ years is excellent, it doesn't mean the ones being made right now are any good. So I'm very conflicted. I'm inclined to go with the data. Plus, a large amount of the one star reviews for many of the Panasonics are about door latch problems, which indicates a defect. I'm not seeing any defect issues with the Magic Chefs.

I try to find reviews from sites that aren't selling the product.

Last edited:
Some of the longest lasting microwaves I've owned in the past have been cheap, no name generic brands. Figure most components to manufacture these things come from one gigantic warehouse in China, regardless of brand. Reading countless reviews of different brands and models can drive you nuts. Purchase from a reputable retailer with a good return policy, regardless of brand.

...Figure most components to manufacture these things come from one gigantic warehouse in China, regardless of brand...

Figure that there is more than one model of any component, a top quality one and a lower quality one. If you buy an inexpensive microwave, you could figure the manufacturer opted for the less costly components.

I can't recommend the Breville microwave enough. It isn't cheap, but worth every penny.

Robert

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

the last couple of microwave I bought I considered two things: Price and Size. They had to fit in certain space. They are no name brands, one from Sears, one from Home Depot. Both been working just fine. I do not use for cooking, but do use a lot for warming up food. Working just fine for me, especially considering that I bought both on sale I have no complains.

the last couple of microwave I bought I considered two things: Price and Size. They had to fit in certain space. They are no name brands, one from Sears, one from Home Depot. Both been working just fine. I do not use for cooking, but do use a lot for warming up food. Working just fine for me, especially considering that I bought both on sale I have no complains.

This is mostly us too. We had to buy a new one when we moved back to the States. We have always had a built in over the range microwave, but our current kitchen simply won't let that work. We bought an LG - it has the largest capacity of any we've ever owned. It resides in a corner counter under the cupboards, in a spot that wouldn't be much use for anything else but maybe canisters anyway.

This is my microwave with the dead display. It fits the narrow piece of countertop because it's only 18" wide and full sized (13" turntable) and full powered (1100 watts). It fits because the controls are across the top rather than down one side.

I CANNOT FIND A REPLACEMENT ANYWHERE!!!

Attachments

• DSC04645.jpg
    DSC04645.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 243
Some people are very creative with microwave cooking. There are all kind of recipes for it.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

With such a tiny kitchen, adding an over the range microwave was the best thing that we could have done with limited space. Ours is a Samsung and it's the best I've ever used, powerful, doesn't burn popcorn and softens butter without melting it.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I have an Amana Radar Range downstairs in storage that still works fine.

I upgraded to a GE Advantium when one became available to me.

I'll go back to the Radar Range if the Advantium craps out. ;)

I haven't used the halogen features much. The learning curve is more then I want to deal with and my regular oven serves my needs just fine.

I use the microwave to reheat java, defrost things, and cook frozen veggies.

Unless you use it as a primary instrument to cook I'd go with the cheapest model I could find that fit's the size requirements needed.

They are cheap and getting cheaper so consider them as another throw away appliance of the 21st century.

Back
Top Bottom