"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Cook

Time to Buy a New Microwave

My 15 y/o microwave died the other day so now I must find a replacement. This is where I'm having trouble.

It looks like I'm gonna have to downgrade in interior size due to the way new microwaves are built. As long as all my dishes and pots fit in the new one, should there be any problems with cooking anything? The new microwave would have the same watts as my old one, but the new one would have a much smaller interior capacity. I don't do microwave cooking very much but when I do it's usually Rice-A-Roni and Pasta-Roni, meatloafs, and cakes.

Also, durability and safety are very important to me. Does anyone have any brands that they feel are bad?
Because of the size issue, I'm left with brands and models that are questionable. It's looking like I may have to go with a Magic Chef - model MCM1110B. I thought that Magic Chef was not a very good brand, but most of the reviews have been favorable. Whereas the Panasonic reviews have been rather lousy.

So, I would love to hear opinions on this. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The two major considerations are wattage (power) and turntable size. I think 1000 watts is a minimum. The turntable has to accommodate the plates/pans you typically use.

There are plenty of places online that provide reviews of different brands. The price for the one you linked is very good. I can't say anything about the MC brand.

I have a 15 YO Sharp. 1100watts and a 13" turntable. It works great but the display has been shot for a couple of years. The way we use it to reheat/defrost foods the loss of the display doesn't matter much.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Master Chef

I say get the largest container you think you might use and go to store. Check what works for you. Check the price, compare with online purchases and you'll know what to get.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Master Chef

I like commercial style microwaves with minimal amount of features. They're a little more expensive and heavier duty than the average home microwave.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I like commercial style microwaves with minimal amount of features. They're a little more expensive and heavier duty than the average home microwave.
Suggestions? Mine is about had it. I would like a commercial type.
We only use it for heating tasks. We never use it for cooking anything.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Suggestions? Mine is about had it. I would like a commercial type.
We only use it for heating tasks. We never use it for cooking anything.
I don't have any particular models in mind but everytime I visit Costco Business Center or Restaurant Depot I look at their small appliances. I particularly like microwaves with the big old analog dials.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Cook

My problem is that I've spent countless hours researching and my results are contradicting what people say about good and bad brands.
I'm only looking at brands and models with 4 star or better reviews. Of those models and reviews, the Magic Chefs are showing to be a higher rated (possibly better and more durable) microwave than Panasonic or Sharp. However, people are telling me that Magic Chefs are pure junk. Everyone says Panasonic and Sharp are the best. It's just that the data doesn't back that up. One person did admit that they're just going off personal experience.

But just because that Panasonic you've had for 15+ years is excellent, it doesn't mean the ones being made right now are any good. So I'm very conflicted. I'm inclined to go with the data. Plus, a large amount of the one star reviews for many of the Panasonics are about door latch problems, which indicates a defect. I'm not seeing any defect issues with the Magic Chefs.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I try to find reviews from sites that aren't selling the product.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Master Chef

Some of the longest lasting microwaves I've owned in the past have been cheap, no name generic brands. Figure most components to manufacture these things come from one gigantic warehouse in China, regardless of brand. Reading countless reviews of different brands and models can drive you nuts. Purchase from a reputable retailer with a good return policy, regardless of brand.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
...Figure most components to manufacture these things come from one gigantic warehouse in China, regardless of brand...
Figure that there is more than one model of any component, a top quality one and a lower quality one. If you buy an inexpensive microwave, you could figure the manufacturer opted for the less costly components.