Toaster Oven Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
My toaster oven is on its last legs. I need advise from anyone who has purchased a toaster oven in the last year.I have been putting this off for the last couple of years hoping that I could find a toaster oven that had the features I want and not cost an arm and leg.
I am not fond of the mechanical timers used to tell how dark you want your toast, the placement of the crumb trays and the clunky size and large handles.
I have read the previous threads on the &29.95 Toastmaster vs the $ 250 Cuisinart, I am more of a middle other road person. I have had my share of the 29.95 specials and don't want to go there. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

elf, I have this one. I must have bought and returned a dozen toaster ovens before I settled on this one.

TOB-30BW - Toaster Oven Broiler - Toaster Oven Broilers - Products - Cuisinart.com

It's reasonably priced and does a really good job on all functions. The shelf is adjustable for different functions, it toasts evenly.

I understand you don't like the mechanical timer for the toast function but it works fine.

I have a Cuisinart something like five years now. This is the one that I have; I use the "convection" feature infrequently, though. On the very positive side, I spilled a half-mug of tea all over the controls.:ohmy: Wiped things down really quick, drained the base over the sink, and opened it up and flipped it over to dry really really well. I've had no problems with it since and it's been at least a year.

This one isn't as pricey. You might find a better price for whatever you end up deciding on by ordering through Amazon or using the 20% off per item coupons that come in the mail from BedBathandBeyond.

I bought the GE Convection one at WalMart a few years ago and have loved it. I don't know what the new model is like but I would suggest checking it out.

I bought the GE Convection one at WalMart a few years ago and have loved it. I don't know what the new model is like but I would suggest checking it out.

Thanks for sharing. I have been eye-balling the GE convection oven at Wal-Mart for quite awhile now....Keep window-shopping but never buy because I have felt so lost and confused about toaster and convection ovens....Glad to hear that you have been happy with your GE. Thanks....

I too am looking for a new convection/toaster oven,,my Cuisinart is on it's last legs too...loved it and it was digital and did a great job..I have a Europro in my camper and it emits too much heat,,stainless and pretty but not near as good as the Cuisinart..I am looking at a Delongi for around $100. I have been reading all kinds of reviews.:ohmy:

I have the Emerson .7 CuFt 6 slice toaster oven from target. It will cost you about 50 bucks, I totally love it. Its a great color, and is a great appliance. I have made all kinds of stuff in it and I wouldn't trade it for any other.

I too am looking for a new convection/toaster oven,,my Cuisinart is on it's last legs too...loved it and it was digital and did a great job..I have a Europro in my camper and it emits too much heat,,stainless and pretty but not near as good as the Cuisinart..I am looking at a Delongi for around $100. I have been reading all kinds of reviews.:ohmy:

I have a Delonghi Airstream that my DH bought for me for Xmas 1995. It still works well. Two things I would change: I would get rid of the continuous clean surface that is a pain to clean and I would make the door removable to make cleaning easier. Never had a problem with the timer for toast.

I realize you're going for a higher end appliance, but since my cheap toaster/oven starting sticking in the on position, I've been looking for a replacement and I've noticed that many of the higher end units have the same problem mine did. The dials do not remove for cleaning. That is why my T/O started sticking. Make sure you have either a programmable appliance or if it does have dials, that they can be removed for cleaning.

I would suggest you always check Amazon.com's reviews of your desired product, even if you're buying from another site.
For instance, Sunbeams recent models were reviewed as having started a fire or were faulty.
If you see a bunch of reviews stating the same thing, you know it's not an isolated case.

Last edited:
My Cuisinart is digital and I have had it 7 years, I think..It has been a workhorse..I just hope my next one does as well.. I use mine daily and it saves so much time and energy...

I checked on several today and it looks like I could get one from $79 to $100 that has great ratings...:D I think Black and Decker may be a good one...

Thanks everyone, you have been so helpful...

I have a Cuisinart something like five years now. This is the one that I have; I use the "convection" feature infrequently, though. On the very positive side, I spilled a half-mug of tea all over the controls.:ohmy: Wiped things down really quick, drained the base over the sink, and opened it up and flipped it over to dry really really well. I've had no problems with it since and it's been at least a year.

This one isn't as pricey. You might find a better price for whatever you end up deciding on by ordering through Amazon or using the 20% off per item coupons that come in the mail from BedBathandBeyond.

I just purchased the second one you mentioned which I highlighted. I really don't like the look of this one but I bought it because it was on sale at Costco for only $79. I thought I could live with it but I really don't like the look of this one, it has black and stainless instead of all stainless which I think I might like better but that would be double the price. It is also bulky and deep so there is very little room left on the counter in front of it.

It was recommended to me to invest in a Breville Convection Toaster Oven Broiler. It retails for $249 but if it is purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond with a coupon would come to $200. It gets extremely high ratings on Amazon and is very stylish looking. So I am in a dilemma. Should I stay with the $79 one which I know will be functional even though I don't like the looks of it or should I go for the extra money and buy the Breville which is highly recommended, functional and aesthetically pleasing too?

If you don't like the looks of it you will not be happy...Bite the bullet and get the better one...Let me know how it goes...

I recently got the same one as mkaylady ... Cuisinart. So far, I'm loving it and we not only use it daily, we use it several times a day. I have used it to roast veggies, bake a small 8x8 cake, baked potatoes, even roast a small chicken ... oh yes, even make toast ... lol.

There isn't a day that has gone by that we haven't used our toaster oven.

Good luck with your search!

If you don't like the looks of it you will not be happy...Bite the bullet and get the better one...Let me know how it goes...

You are probably right. The black color on this one just does not go with my kitchen, sticks out like a sore thumb. The Breville gets consistantly 5 star ratings on Amazon so I do think it is probably worth the extra expense.

I have a four slice toaster from Cuisinart and though I love the retro 1950s look of it, I'm not that fond of it. It burns my toast often enough to really annoy me (it sets off the smoke detector), but not often enough to throw it out.

I was talking to a friend and mentioned how disappointed I was, since I always thought of Cusinart as good quality. She pointed out that they are famous for other food processors and stuff like that, not toasters. Sometimes it's just best to stick to the stuff with which a company is expert.

Last edited:
I have a four slice toaster from Cuisinart and though I love the retro 1950s look of it, I'm not that fond of it. It burns my toast often enough to really annoy me (it sets off the smoke detector), but not often enough to throw it out.

I was talking to a friend and mentioned how disappointed I was, since I always thought of Cusinart as good quality. She pointed out that they are famous for other food processors and stuff like that, not toasters. Sometimes it's just best to stick to the stuff with which a company is expert.

Even in the food processor market I never cared for Cuisinart because years ago I read that their first food processors were made in France by Robot Coupe and that, in an effort to save money, they began having them manufactured in China I believe it was. Anyway, long story short, the article said you could buy directly from Robot Coupe if you wanted one from France. So, I bought two Robot Coupe Food Processors, a small one and then the large one. They have worked great for all these years, about 30 years approx.

The Breville Convection Toaster Oven Broiler that I was talking about is also made in France, I believe.

Well I bit the bullet and bought the Breville from Macys.com and got free shipping and an extra 15% off...It was priced around $250. and when I checked out the total was $238.49...I have researched for a long time and this has the best reviews...it is the larger one that will toast 6 slices of toast at one time. It is a 1800 watt and called a smart oven...we will see just how smart and I will report back..LOL

This is mine, I bought it because it has a rotisserie that will take a 4lbs chicken, my main oven/range cooker is 1 metre long, so unless we have friends over the oven is not used much. It cost £52 or $78.
croatia 2010 093.jpg

Back
Top Bottom