"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Toaster Oven Advice

My toaster oven is on its last legs. I need advise from anyone who has purchased a toaster oven in the last year.I have been putting this off for the last couple of years hoping that I could find a toaster oven that had the features I want and not cost an arm and leg.
I am not fond of the mechanical timers used to tell how dark you want your toast, the placement of the crumb trays and the clunky size and large handles.
I have read the previous threads on the &29.95 Toastmaster vs the $ 250 Cuisinart, I am more of a middle other road person. I have had my share of the 29.95 specials and don't want to go there. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

elf, I have this one. I must have bought and returned a dozen toaster ovens before I settled on this one.

TOB-30BW - Toaster Oven Broiler - Toaster Oven Broilers - Products - Cuisinart.com

It's reasonably priced and does a really good job on all functions. The shelf is adjustable for different functions, it toasts evenly.

I understand you don't like the mechanical timer for the toast function but it works fine.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Master Chef

I have a Cuisinart something like five years now. This is the one that I have; I use the "convection" feature infrequently, though. On the very positive side, I spilled a half-mug of tea all over the controls. Wiped things down really quick, drained the base over the sink, and opened it up and flipped it over to dry really really well. I've had no problems with it since and it's been at least a year.

This one isn't as pricey. You might find a better price for whatever you end up deciding on by ordering through Amazon or using the 20% off per item coupons that come in the mail from BedBathandBeyond.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I have been looking for a toaster oven as well.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I bought the GE Convection one at WalMart a few years ago and have loved it. I don't know what the new model is like but I would suggest checking it out.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I bought the GE Convection one at WalMart a few years ago and have loved it. I don't know what the new model is like but I would suggest checking it out.
Thanks for sharing. I have been eye-balling the GE convection oven at Wal-Mart for quite awhile now....Keep window-shopping but never buy because I have felt so lost and confused about toaster and convection ovens....Glad to hear that you have been happy with your GE. Thanks....
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I too am looking for a new convection/toaster oven,,my Cuisinart is on it's last legs too...loved it and it was digital and did a great job..I have a Europro in my camper and it emits too much heat,,stainless and pretty but not near as good as the Cuisinart..I am looking at a Delongi for around $100. I have been reading all kinds of reviews.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I have the Emerson .7 CuFt 6 slice toaster oven from target. It will cost you about 50 bucks, I totally love it. Its a great color, and is a great appliance. I have made all kinds of stuff in it and I wouldn't trade it for any other.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2bake View Post
I too am looking for a new convection/toaster oven,,my Cuisinart is on it's last legs too...loved it and it was digital and did a great job..I have a Europro in my camper and it emits too much heat,,stainless and pretty but not near as good as the Cuisinart..I am looking at a Delongi for around $100. I have been reading all kinds of reviews.
I have a Delonghi Airstream that my DH bought for me for Xmas 1995. It still works well. Two things I would change: I would get rid of the continuous clean surface that is a pain to clean and I would make the door removable to make cleaning easier. Never had a problem with the timer for toast.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I realize you're going for a higher end appliance, but since my cheap toaster/oven starting sticking in the on position, I've been looking for a replacement and I've noticed that many of the higher end units have the same problem mine did. The dials do not remove for cleaning. That is why my T/O started sticking. Make sure you have either a programmable appliance or if it does have dials, that they can be removed for cleaning.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote