"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Toaster ovens not made in China

Does anybody know of any decent toaster ovens that are not made in China? I mean, even Mexico would be better than China. Thanks for any info.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Master Chef

These days you basically get what you pay for regardless of where it comes from.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I absolutely adore my little Breville toaster oven. Can't check where it's made right now, but my feeling is you can't go wrong with the brand.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Wine Guy

I know that Breville is based in Australia, but I believe their manufacturing is done in China as well. Or at least that's the case with my Breville juicer.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
These days you basically get what you pay for regardless of where it comes from.
Well, it's not just about quality—China has a very oppressive government. I don't want to give any money to that country if I can help it at least.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I absolutely adore my little Breville toaster oven. Can't check where it's made right now, but my feeling is you can't go wrong with the brand.
Thanks for the recommendation. And now that I've seen Steve's helpful heads-up, I could always e-mail the company as well to ask for more info about the origin.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Even Black & Decker is made is China...

Try these links
Amazon.com: toaster ovens made in usa

Toaster Ovens Made In Usa: Amazon.com
Old 12-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune View Post
Well, it's not just about quality—China has a very oppressive government. I don't want to give any money to that country if I can help it at least.
We all know that. You can take it a step further and boycott Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, and many other big box stores if you're very serious about this.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
We all know that. You can take it a step further and boycott Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, and many other big box stores if you're very serious about this.
Of course if you do that, you either take a lot more time with your buying needs or your quality of life can be diminished. One could say that most grocery chains are bullies too, since they put 99% of all mom and pop grocery stores out of business. But then, where would you go for groceries?

People base their buying on wants and needs and availability. I'm no fan of Walmart, and I do most of my grocery shopping elsewhere. However, there are a few items that only Walmart carries locally, so I still find myself in the store about once a week. They get less than 25% of my shopping business any more, but they are still a necessity if I want to do what I feel makes my life better.

When I lived in SW Denver Metro, I almost never entered Walmart, but I shopped Sam's Club every couple of months for most of my paper goods and cleaning supplies, as well as a few bags of frozen chicken parts and the like - the sort of stuff that was far more expensive in the grocery stores.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, manufacturing jobs have moved out of NA. We have become "service based" countries. It is difficult to find products manufactured in the US or Canada (since I live in Canada, I try to buy Canadian-manufactured products whenever possible).

I was shocked to find out my toaster is a collector's item (Sunbeam from the 1950s--bought it at an auction when I was first married for $1). It sells for over $200 to toaster collectors. Who knew! Since I hardly ever use it, I might just have to polish it up and put it on eBay!

If enough people contact the companies and demand (ask) for products manufactured in countries other than in China, maybe the companies will get the message. Bah. Probably not.

Ritter in Germany is one source to check. Pricey.

I have to admit that my toaster oven lives in the basement. I probably should donate it to the Goodwill. I haven't used it for a couple of years.

Tags
oven