"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJane View Post
Wow! how big is that thing? Does it make toast too or are the elements too far away? That's one of the reasons I went with a smaller one this time.

Ugh. I miss my TO from the 1980s. It lasted 25! years until one day it started shooting sparks whenever you tried to set the temp dial. RIP Mr. Sparky!

It makes perfect toast, which is why we got rid of our conventional toaster. Didn't need it at all, plus this thing can toast more pieces of bread at a time, if needed, than the toaster could.

It's big, but I wouldn't say huge. The interior is the part that's large. It can accommodate some of our biggest casseroles or baking dishes. We really like it and will be unhappy when it croaks.

However, as I said in my earlier post, I would definitely consider the one in the link I referenced. Size-wise it's a little larger but we have the space so that wouldn't be an issue.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJane View Post
It says to use either "bake" or "turbo bake" (convection)--both of which cause upper elements to turn on and get very red. The instructions for "warm" talk about warming only (<250 on the dial). Using it for baking would be strictly "off-label" as it were.

More experimentation necessary. I think the real problem is that the interior of this one is smaller than my broken one. I also think it's possible that the upper elements are overheating (I could swear I read on the mfr's website that the upper elements heat 50% of the bottoms when set on bake...but maybe not for this particular Oster!)
Try using the bake function and reducing the temperature by 25F.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Well, I finally had the brilliant idea to call customer service for Oster...and I was right. The upper element is heating too much. So back to the store it goes. I will track down the ovens you guys have recommended and see what I can find. Sigh.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Try using the bake function and reducing the temperature by 25F.
Yeah I had tried that..in fact reducing the temp by 50 degrees and still had dark brown, nearly burned muffin tops whilst the inside remained sloppy.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Return it for a refund.

Tags
baking, oven