Toaster vs toaster oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
I dont currently own a toaster and I've sorta been playing with the idea of getting the big cusinart toaster over with push button controls.
My question is will a toaster oven do just as good a job of making toast as a toaster oven. My previous experience with toaster ovens was that either you had to flip the bread half way through or you had soggy toast on one side

Hi Vilasman nice to see you here! I don't use a toaster oven for toast I use the toaster for it. But toaster ovens are great for open-faced sammiches, reheating foods, and some "fast food" stuff like frozen pizzas. So, if all your going to use it for is toast don't waste your money on the toaster oven.

really i want both, but I am running out of space. If the toaster oven will make just as good a toast is the toaster oven then I can get by with just one

Vman:

I'd go with a toaster oven for toast and other stuff. I can attest that a toaster does not guarantee great toast.

Check out Consumer Reports for reviews. Some are very well rated.

I will never go back to owning a toaster. It makes no sense when a toaster oven is more versatile and it is also able to make a decent toast.

I'm with Psiguyy - a toaster is just a "one trick pony" - or what Alton Brown would call a "unitasker" gadget. But, I'm not too keen on giving up my precious counter space to appliances that just mimic what I can already do on my stove top or in my stove's oven/broiler. I have considered a countertop Rotisserie Oven - because that is something I can't duplicate in my stove oven - but I still debating with myself on that.

I personally would go with a toaster oven. But I do have to say that both genres have disappointed me. The timer inevitably goes "off" in a (to me) short period of time, and you wind up with bread that is just stale, not toasted, unless you really fight it. At least a toaster oven does a lot of other stuff.

The toaster oven i have is the best out of all the toasters and toaster ovens it has 4 heating elements, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. It also does a great job baking. if im using the big oven and i need to bake something, i use the toaster oven. its called Cuisinart Classic Toaster Oven Broiler

miguzigoldfish said:
The toaster oven i have is the best out of all the toasters and toaster ovens it has 4 heating elements, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. It also does a great job baking. if im using the big oven and i need to bake something, i use the toaster oven. its called Cuisinart Classic Toaster Oven Broiler

That is the toaster oven that I have and I love it. I also have a Cuisinart toaster which toasts bagels excellently. Although, I will admit that I don't use the toaster as much now that I have the toaster oven. I much prefer to use my toaster oven vs big oven, especially in the summer. Since I generally cook for one using the toaster oven makes more sense.

If you haven't bought yet, Consumer's Reports reviews tosters and toaster ovens in their latest issue (Nov 04). If you don't want to buy it, most libraries have copies of it.

our toaster is on life support, and I don't think we will replace it soon. cheapie toaster oven I bought off a colleague who was moving works fine and is more versatile.

PolishedTopaz said:
Hi Vilasman nice to see you here! I don't use a toaster oven for toast I use the toaster for it. But toaster ovens are great for open-faced sammiches, reheating foods, and some "fast food" stuff like frozen pizzas. So, if all your going to use it for is toast don't waste your money on the toaster oven.

heyyyyyyyy, someone else that uses the word "sammich."

Back
Top Bottom