"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-18-2004, 09:25 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Toaster vs toaster oven

I dont currently own a toaster and I've sorta been playing with the idea of getting the big cusinart toaster over with push button controls.
My question is will a toaster oven do just as good a job of making toast as a toaster oven. My previous experience with toaster ovens was that either you had to flip the bread half way through or you had soggy toast on one side

Old 09-18-2004, 10:50 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Hi Vilasman nice to see you here! I don't use a toaster oven for toast I use the toaster for it. But toaster ovens are great for open-faced sammiches, reheating foods, and some "fast food" stuff like frozen pizzas. So, if all your going to use it for is toast don't waste your money on the toaster oven.

Old 09-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #3
Senior Cook

really i want both, but I am running out of space. If the toaster oven will make just as good a toast is the toaster oven then I can get by with just one
Old 09-18-2004, 11:07 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Vman:

I'd go with a toaster oven for toast and other stuff. I can attest that a toaster does not guarantee great toast.

Check out Consumer Reports for reviews. Some are very well rated.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:15 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I will never go back to owning a toaster. It makes no sense when a toaster oven is more versatile and it is also able to make a decent toast.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm with Psiguyy - a toaster is just a "one trick pony" - or what Alton Brown would call a "unitasker" gadget. But, I'm not too keen on giving up my precious counter space to appliances that just mimic what I can already do on my stove top or in my stove's oven/broiler. I have considered a countertop Rotisserie Oven - because that is something I can't duplicate in my stove oven - but I still debating with myself on that.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Michael, get a cooker with a rotisserie attachment and then you can smoke shoulders too.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
Master Chef

I personally would go with a toaster oven. But I do have to say that both genres have disappointed me. The timer inevitably goes "off" in a (to me) short period of time, and you wind up with bread that is just stale, not toasted, unless you really fight it. At least a toaster oven does a lot of other stuff.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:07 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russell
The toaster oven i have is the best out of all the toasters and toaster ovens it has 4 heating elements, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. It also does a great job baking. if im using the big oven and i need to bake something, i use the toaster oven. its called Cuisinart Classic Toaster Oven Broiler
Old 10-02-2004, 10:39 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguzigoldfish
The toaster oven i have is the best out of all the toasters and toaster ovens it has 4 heating elements, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. It also does a great job baking. if im using the big oven and i need to bake something, i use the toaster oven. its called Cuisinart Classic Toaster Oven Broiler
That is the toaster oven that I have and I love it. I also have a Cuisinart toaster which toasts bagels excellently. Although, I will admit that I don't use the toaster as much now that I have the toaster oven. I much prefer to use my toaster oven vs big oven, especially in the summer. Since I generally cook for one using the toaster oven makes more sense.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote