Tomato press/strainer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I have such a hard time with my food mill. A friend gave me one of these a couple of years ago:

Lee Valley Tools - Online Catalog

Having used it for 3-4 years to process tomatoes, I must say, it is a very useful tool if you don't like seeds or skins in your tomato sauce, etc.

What I don't like about it is that it is NOT easy to clean--the "wheel" that flips everything inside of the hopper gets "clogged" with tomatoes (it doesn't impair the operation of the tool, just at the end, it has gunk in the inside--trying to figure out if it comes apart). For now, I first wash it by hand, and then run it through the DW. It still isn't pristine clean. The other thing I don't like about it is that it does not adhere to every surface--it does not adhere to my butcher block counter top. It does, however, grip solidly to my marble baking slab.

I run the pulp through 3x to get as much as I can out of the roasted tomatoes. It is harder to "turn" the handle if you are trying to seed and peel raw tomatoes.

On a scale a 5-star rating scale, I'd give it a 5 for making the job easier, ease of use (definitely like it 10X more than a food mill). I'd give it a 3-star rating for ease of cleaning.

I have one, and I use it to make a V-8 kind of tomato juice. Celery, onions, garlic, peppers all cooked together, then I run it thru the machine.

I haven't done it for a couple of years, but I don't remember having any particular trouble cleaning it--it does come all apart.

Mine is bright red and made in Italy.

That white wheel that is inside the hopper--at least in mine, gets gunk in it. I soak it in a bowl of water and then run it through the dishwasher. Does that wheel thingy come apart? I haven't figured out how to get that apart....if it comes apart for cleaning.

I will try to remember to pull mine down out of the closet, C-Dub, and if the manual is in there, I will copy it and send it to you.

(writing note right now to attach to my car keys to jog my memory. might work. but don't hold your breath.)

CWS
I have the same tomato press. I canned 22 pints of
tomato sauce this summer using it. It does come apart
to clean , look at one end and you will see that the plastic
does not go all the way to the end, I insert the tip of a knife
and twist and the end pops right of. The blades and the springs
come out to clean, Very easy and easy to put back together.

Josie

CWS
It isn't the solid end. Look close at the other end
and you will see it. I can't see the spring on mine
with it closed. It will be right at the blade.

Josie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom