"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-04-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Tried searching, what's a good crock pot size?

I read that 3.5 qt is a good size. I'm just looking to feed no more than 4 people.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:31 AM   #2
Cook

I have a 6 1/2 quart Cuisinart, and it works very nicely for me. I have a smaller one too, but I like to make a larger amount, and then have it in the refrigerator for several days. So, I use the Cuisinart. I like the stainless steel finish of the cuisinart, as well as its controls. You can set it to low, or high temp, and use any amount of time in either of those settings. On some digital slow cookers, you can only run 2 to 4 hours on high, and 6 to 8 hours on low. The Rivals come to mind here. I recommend that you get one with manual controls and a timer that you can use at your option, which would give you more flexibility.

MrCoffee

Old 05-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I am not sure what size mine is, but it is a large one. 6ish quarts sounds about right. I like the larger size. You can still make a small amount in it, but for times when you want to make a lot you still have that option. The only problem is finding a place to store it. I would also like to get a very small one (like a personal size) for dips and things like that, but it would be too small for anything else. I have seen those for like $15-$20 or so.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I tend to like oversized myself. Then if you have company you can still use your appliances. Removable crocks are a must. Probably standard these days.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I just checked and mine is 6.5.

we bought my mom a crock pot for this Mothers Day. Hers is a bit smaller (4 quart maybe), but we got her the Versi Pot (I think that is the name or at least close to it). What we liked about this one is that the pot part can go in the oven and on the stove top as well so if your recipe calls for browning the meat first then you don't need to dirty up to post. You can brown the meat in the stove top and then move it right to the crock pot part all in the same pan.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I like my large one too... I tend only to use it though for parties and potlucks. I should get a little on to use for when it's just Paulie and I. The one GB just mentioned sounds perfect.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Bigger is better for me!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:31 PM   #8
Head Chef

I wouldn't get a small one. You can do a smaller meal in the big one, but not vice-versa. Ours is the 6 qt one from Rival with the removable crock (it was a wedding present - 12 years Sunday and still going strong), and it's not hard to fill it up doing a pot roast or corned beef in it. I like to slow cook on low all day while we are at work, then pour off the stock into a stockpot and cook the veggies, potatoes, etc. in that on the range.

Edit: BTW, we are 2 person household, and the 6 qt. cooker is fine for us.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #9
Master Chef

I can think of more things that I couldn't cook for 4 in a 3.5-qt crockpot than I can think of things that I can. I would definately go with the 6-qt size.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:33 AM   #10
Head Chef

We are also a 2 person family now. I like my 6 quart crock pot with the removable ceramic dish.I use it quite often.