Using a Hot Plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike1951

Assistant Cook
Lacking a range, I purchased one of IMUSA's single burner hot plates rated at 1100 watts.

The only marked settings are OFF, LOW, MED. But it appears to adjust continuously from OFF to well past MED.

With water in a three quart saucepan, the maximum temperature reached was 192. But turning knob fully easily boiled.

I am considering painting marks around the knob and testing water temps reached at each setting.

When instructions are given to cook on low or medium on a range, is there any kind of a 'standard' such as I did with the water temp reached in a saucepan?

Is there a need to compensate for the off/on cycling of the hot plate, either by further adjusting the knob or lengthening any suggested cooking times?

Any useful tips on using a hot plate?

Thanks,

It could be that you're over thinking this Mike. Exact temps for stove top cooking are seldom needed unless you're cooking candy for example, or deep frying something. In both those cases you'll need a thermometer. Your settings of low to med should work well for everyday cooking.

It could be that you're over thinking this Mike. Exact temps for stove top cooking are seldom needed unless you're cooking candy for example, or deep frying something. In both those cases you'll need a thermometer. Your settings of low to med should work well for everyday cooking.

+ 1.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

It works pretty much like any other stove.

For a long time I worked a job that had me on the road 42 weeks out of the year. I lived in hotel rooms and did all my cooking using a hot plate and portable microwave. Despite not having an oven to do any baking/roasting and having to be careful not to stink up the place, I still managed to cook some incredible meals. If anything it taught me how to be more resourceful.

We make do with what we have.

Last edited:
Maximum water temp was 192 but it "easily boiled?"

??? Unless you live on Mount Everest

I also think you might be overthinking this as kayelle rightfully points out the exact temperature of the pan is hardly ever germane to what you are cooking.

Even at the 'low' setting it'll bring the pot of water to a boil under normal condition. It'll just take longer....

As with any other appliance just start using the hotplate and you'll get the hang of it.

Last edited:
Mike,
The one I looked at had Hi marked on it. Yes it was the 1100 watt one.
Now just use it like you would use a regular stove burner.
If you bought it used it is possible the markings are wearing off.
Mike, are you just now learning to really cook?

Little hint, if what you are cooking is trying to stick, turn down the burner.
Matter of fact unless you are boiling water, I wouldn't go beyond medium.

Maximum water temp was 192 but it "easily boiled?"

??? Unless you live on Mount Everest

I also think you might be overthinking this as kayelle rightfully points out the exact temperature of the pan is hardly ever germane to what you are cooking.

OK, I meant to say, "With water in a three quart saucepan, the maximum temperature reached [on MED] was 192. But turning knob fully easily boiled."

Mike,
The one I looked at had Hi marked on it. Yes it was the 1100 watt one.
Now just use it like you would use a regular stove burner.
If you bought it used it is possible the markings are wearing off.
Mike, are you just now learning to really cook?

Little hint, if what you are cooking is trying to stick, turn down the burner.
Matter of fact unless you are boiling water, I wouldn't go beyond medium.

Nope, bought it new. Only markings are OFF, LOW, MED.

Forty years ago, I might fix hamburger helper or boil some spaghetti and pour Ragu over it. I could scramble eggs and fry sausage. That's about it. Since then, I've eaten sandwiches, fast food, or heated canned food in the microwave. But what experience I had was using gas, where the heat was consistent. Wasn't sure how to deal with the on/off cycling of the hot plate.

Mike,
I have cooked on electric stoves. Just treat it like a regular burner. The only real difference is it won't cool down as fast as gas. Don't worry about the cycling. That is just to keep it from getting too hot. It won't cool down enough to show on the cooking unless you are outside in the Yukon in winter.

Hi, Mike. :)
You'll get the hang of cooking on your new hot plate in no time. There's always a bit of a learning curve for new appliances, large or small. The fact that you're here on a cooking forum and asking questions says you're serious about cooking for yourself with what you've got to work with.

If you were to think about expanding a little and buying yourself an electric skillet, and/or grill (such as a George Foreman), that would open up a whole new world of possibilities for you. Think grilled chicken breasts, bacon, chilis, stews, etc. :yum:

I hope you stick around here, you seem like such a nice person. :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=electric+skillet

Amazon.com: george foreman grill - Contact Grills / Small Appliances: Home & Kitchen

Cheryl, I'm ordering that particular electric skillet!! It's been years since I've owned one, and this design is so vastly improved!! It will be wonderful for the Christmas buffet table!! Amazon.com: Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet, Black: Kitchen & Dining

That's a nice one, isn't it? I've been thinking about getting one for the past couple of years - they're certainly better than they used to be back in the day. Between those and the Nesco roasters, there's no reason to not have hot food at holiday buffets or anytime. :)

I previously had an old 11" West Bend electric skillet, a 600 watt microwave, and a B&D toaster oven.

I did prepare a couple of meals using the skillet and made a couple of batches of cornbread from a box mix using the toaster oven.

I added the hot plate, Dash egg cooker (not used yet), Aroma 8 cup rice cooker, Hamilton Beach 8 cup processor (shoulda bought the mandolin!) and a 4 quart Crock Pot (also not used yet).

Since then, I bought the Presto 16" 06850 skillet and the Hamilton Beach countertop oven/convection/rotisserie.

I used the hot plate to blanch some cabbage I was going to freeze, then tried to carmalize some onions. That didn't end well, but not so much due to controls.

When they would have been ready, I just turned the hot plate off, but didn't remove the pan. Got distracted with company, and when I went back they were burnt. Second attempt went ok.

I recently fixed my first ever pot of beans from scratch. Seems like way too much trouble.

Using the West Bend, I sliced and browned some beef sausage, then sauted (I think) some onion, celery, and bell pepper with it.

I was satisfied with the accuracy of the countertop oven temp, but so far have only prepared TV dinners and fish sticks (freezer space has become precious and needed to make a little room).

Besides the hot plate, the processor and rice cooker have proved most frustrating.

With the processor, whether I'm chopping, slicing, or shredding, the results appear to be the same. I've reverted to doing bell peppers and onions by hand. Definitely haven't acquired 'the touch' yet.

The rice cooker, admittedly a cheap one, yields a clump of cooked rice. This really hasn't mattered so far, as the rice has always been combined with something else. I guess if I want 'fluffy', I can buy Success.

On my budget, I had counted on beans and rice being staples.

Thursday, I bought some drumsticks, thighs, and a couple of breasts. Also four pork chops. I did brown some breasts recently, then added black beans, corn, and salsa to the skillet. Was actually bland. The next day, I added some homebrew hot sauce from Trinidad to spice it up.

Still have yet to tackle cooking potatoes. Got some reds and Yukons to fix if I get bold enough.

Think the problem is that I'm trying to deal with too many learning curves!

Mike,
You can steam stuff in your rice cooker. Yes the rice does clump but you can fluff it up.
Make your beans in the crockpot.
On food processors, remember the slice shred blade has two sides. Also the amount of pressure depends on the cut of the food.
You can pretty much bake anything in your new oven.
And you learned the most important lesson, hot plates do not cool down quickly.

Back
Top Bottom