"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I actually have 2 immersion blenders. One i got years ago for under $20 . Then I upgraded recently to one with all the bells and whistles and detachable parts. After using the new one once or twice, i went back to the old one. I prefer a one trick pony, that is good at doing what it supposed to do, than one that can do just an OK job on multiple functions. Also, the newer one was a pain in the butt to clean with all the detachable parts. Its now laying in my " one time use appliance graveyard" .

What brand/model was your old one?

Old 11-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
Head Chef

My older ( cheaper ) one , that I still use , is a 'RIVAL' brand. I'm not sure if I ever heard of it before. The newer one with all the bells and whistles I think was a Kitchen Aid Brand. It functions well, but too many parts.

I actually did have one other, that I got as kinda a gift, but the plastic around the blending end actually melted and deformed a little, as I was blending it in a pot that was still on the stove.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
My older ( cheaper ) one , that I still use , is a 'RIVAL' brand. I'm not sure if I ever heard of it before. The newer one with all the bells and whistles I think was a Kitchen Aid Brand. It functions well, but too many parts.

I actually did have one other, that I got as kinda a gift, but the plastic around the blending end actually melted and deformed a little, as I was blending it in a pot that was still on the stove.

Wow that sounds scary - melting plastic in food. Mine is the 2 speed KitchenAid which has no bells and whistles. Just came with a plastic mixing cup.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Head Chef

MY kitchenAid came with a whole carrying case, multiple attachments ... All worked well, but not what I needed. Ill probably use the old crappy one until it drops dead.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
Head Chef

I have one that came with a 3-in-1 appliance, Wolfgang Puck signature. We bought it when we moved to the Bahamas as a space saving idea, and now that we are back in the states, I decided to keep it for the time being. It's an immersion blender, regular blender and rather limited food processor that all use the same motor, and a hand mixer that is a separate unit. The blender and processor functions are rather less than excellent , but I really like it as an immersion blender. It has really good circulation and a powerful motor.

It also has a whisk attachment and can beat an egg or 3 in just seconds for a fluffy omelet or any recipe calling for the eggs to be beaten.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
Head Chef

My first stick (immersion) blender was made by Braun and was a find at the hospital thrift store. I was happy with it, pureeing cooked veggies in hot liquid; it worked perfectly well. Then one day, it gave off that 'too hot' smell and just quit. I blamed it on its being a thrift store buy. When I bought a new one I actually read the booklet, which warned against prolonged use at one 'go,' which could lead to burn-out. So I suspect it was my fault -- inadvertent abuse from ignorance. The new one is a Bodum; I like it a lot.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
Master Chef

My Waring immersion blender is a $3.00 thrift shop find. It only has two settings, ON and Off. I use it mainly to puree soup and whip cream. I keep a bartenders shaker glass half full of water nearby when I'm using it. If the job is too difficult for the blender I can dip it into the water and hit the button to clear the clog. I also dip it into the water and run the machine for a few seconds when I'm finished so I just need to wipe if off with a damp sponge and let it air dry. I use it but I'm not sure I would bother to replace it if it conks out.

The biggest problem I have with using it is me, I always forget and lift the thing out of the liquid at least once every time I use it. At least now I remember to always use it with a deep container!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
My Waring immersion blender is a $3.00 thrift shop find. It only has two settings, ON and Off. I use it mainly to puree soup and whip cream. I keep a bartenders shaker glass half full of water nearby when I'm using it. If the job is too difficult for the blender I can dip it into the water and hit the button to clear the clog. I also dip it into the water and run the machine for a few seconds when I'm finished so I just need to wipe if off with a damp sponge and let it air dry. I use it but I'm not sure I would bother to replace it if it conks out.

The biggest problem I have with using it is me, I always forget and lift the thing out of the liquid at least once every time I use it. At least now I remember to always use it with a deep container!

I love your idea of keeping the shaker glass nearby. I'm going to do that next time, especially when pureeing parsnips!
Old 11-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Using an immersion blender to purée vegetables

Kitchengoddess, this one's for you.

DH and I don't care for pie crust, unless it's crushed gingersnap crust with pumpkin filling. Today I had a craving for pumpkin pie filling, and followed the Libby's instructions sans crust. I threw everything into a tall plastic pitcher and blended it up with the immersion boat motor. I added some Greek yogurt for the heck of it. Now it's baking, smells wonderful. The recipe makes two regular pie pans full.

I may bring the second one to my cousin's gluten-free Thanksgiving.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Kitchengoddess, this one's for you.

DH and I don't care for pie crust, unless it's crushed gingersnap crust with pumpkin filling. Today I had a craving for pumpkin pie filling, and followed the Libby's instructions sans crust. I threw everything into a tall plastic pitcher and blended it up with the immersion boat motor. I added some Greek yogurt for the heck of it. Now it's baking, smells wonderful. The recipe makes two regular pie pans full.

I may bring the second one to my cousin's gluten-free Thanksgiving.

Sounds yummy! Love your idea of making pumpkin pie filling by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Tags
vegetables