"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Vacuum sealer/FoodSaver, observations-feedback?

My wife bought one of these about a year ago and I have never opened it. But today I bought about $60 worth of meat (on sale at the local market), so I busted it out and unpacked it.

It's a simple device. Just place the meat in the plastic bag and lock the lid down and push the button. It's automatic and shuts off when done. I think it will save a lot of money in the long run and provide better tasting food.

I think she paid about $55 for it off HSN or QVC. It came with about 50 bags. I can see this being useful for other uses besides food. Like if I want to put some items (like nuts/bolts) in a bag and seal it up.

Anyone else have one?

jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Check out their website. You can foodsaver just about anything! I love mine.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:18 AM   #3
Executive Chef
We often buy bulk beef and pork that we grind ourselves. Along with the sausage making and meat curing we do, the sealer is indispensable.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Executive Chef
I love mine too!
Its faster than wrapping with cling wrap and then bagging.
It has many uses besides food.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Executive Chef
For about six weeks preceeding Christmas I got an email trying to sell me a Foodsaver, at a 40%, 50%, or 60% discount, depending on the model, every friggin' day. Sorry, no sale.

Unless I need something special for a recipe I am planning immediately, I buy almost all my meats from Omaha Steaks, and their stuff already comes in individually sealed plastic so I really couldn't justify buying one, but I give them credit for being persistent.
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
...It has many uses besides food.

Like what??
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I use our FoodSaver for things other than food.

One thing I find it particularly helpful for is to protect heirloom garments, especially baby clothes. We've had a christening gown in the family for generations and it's safely preserved in a vacuum-sealed bag. No moisture or insect nasties can harm it.

I also use it to store some items in my craft area of my studio. Things like paint pens and markers that I don't want to dry out because they aren't used frequently.

Use it when we travel for liquids and meds. Of course, these parcels are opened once we get to our destination but I usually only pack what we'll use so that's not an issue with us.

I've parceled out dry pet foods when someone has had to "babysit" our fur children. That was quite important when one of our kitties had to be on a restricted-portion diet. No error when it came to giving her the proper amount, regardless of who was feeding her.

I'm sure there are more but they don't come to mind right now.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
Head Chef
In the outdoors it has many uses, mostly to keep things waterproof such as a survival kit, matches, first aid kits even your cell phones, fire starters. The list goes on and on.
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Master Chef
The above are really good ideas for storing non-foods.

I love my foodsaver and use it all the time. It's about 7 or 8 years old now and still going strong. I hope I didn't just jinx it. Right now I have (other than meats, poultry and fish) shredded coconut from a year ago when I made coconut shrimp and have a lot of the coconut left over, mashed fruits for smoothies, several bags of nuts I bought in bulk, blanched veggies, mashed potatoes, soups, etc. I'm cooking for one most of the time and it's so nice to be able to pull a meal out of the freezer, one or two servings at a time. I know the bags are kind of spendy, but I still think I'm coming out ahead with how much fresher food stays.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Like what??
Just think.
You can keep your pot stash fresh.

I love my vacuum sealer.
Freezer burn is a thing of the past and I buy things on sale without the worry of being able to use it before it goes bad.

Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote