"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Vacuum Sealers - what and how-to?

Hi folks,

I just got myself a new vacuum sealer. I'm not the worlds best chef, and I'm thinking I could be eating a lot better if I make myself a bunch of 'ready meals' when I'm in the mood and vacuum seal them up for later.

What are everyones thoughts on good easy stuff to make and store this way?

I also noted they could be used to marinade stuff, I'm a fan of chicken and wondered about marinading some chicken breasts but am worried about a lot of the marinade getting sucked out in the process...how do you stop that?

Someone on YouTube reccommended freezing stuff like soup first, so would you just do that with something marinading too?

Cheers

Old 10-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Head Chef

I've been using a vacuum sealer since the 90's.. Use it a lot and we are only on our 2nd one.. Good product..

The freeze first tip is a good one.. I do that a lot, mainly because there are just the 2 of us and we are not big eaters.. You will find it an interesting, useful appliance..

I bought one for my daughter, years ago.. She had 2 big boys and found that they ate too much, too quickly so the sealer wasn't really necessary in their house.. Now they are empty nesters and use it often..

Ross

Old 10-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'm on my third Foodsaver. I wear them out.

I use mine mostly to buy meats in bulk, and freeze one meal portions of the raw meats. However, there are some ways to use them for freezing lots of cooked foods. I also use them to cook sous vide.

My sister takes meats over to my dad's house to cook on his grill, and seals cook portions to warm up grilled meats whenever she wants. That is an easy one.

Soups and other very wet items are more tricky, because, as you mentioned, the liquids get sucked out. I haven't had a lot of success with vacuum sealing soups, but freezing first would be a good start. I do that with fresh peppers so they don't get crushed by the vacuum pressure.

For marinading, Foodsaver makes containers just for that. They also make attachments to use on both sizes of Mason jars. I have those, and they are very easy to use.

I have gotten pretty good with the "stop and seal" button on mine. I use that when I am sealing juicy meats. That stops most of the juices from leaking into the drip pan.

CD
Old 10-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks folks!

Caseydog, I have the FFS002 model so I only have 2 buttons, the seal only, and the vacuum and seal. The instructions implied that if I had a posher moddel I might get more buttons haha.

I do have a mini hose pipe attachment tho and the instructions once again imply there's some excitement to be had with it with 'attachments', so I'll go and check that out, ta
Old 10-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Head Chef

How necessary it is to vacuum seal a liquid mixture anyway? I've done chili and soups quite often and just squeeze as much air as possible out, then seal, and never had an issue with it.

For meats and veggies, the vacuum does serve a function in preventing freezer burn and drying, although I've done meats by just squeezing out the air, sealing then double bagging just using ziplock bags and had good success freezing for several months.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I've done meats by just squeezing out the air, sealing then double bagging just using ziplock bags and had good success freezing for several months.
I wrap meat as tightly as possible with plastic wrap, then put it in a twist tie food storage bag, again removing as much air as possible. Like Rick, I haven't had any freezer burn issues. I've looked at vacuum sealers, but those bags are rather pricey.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Since I picked up an old vac sealer for $2.00 at the Salvation Army store recently, I've been using it for some meats. I don't bother with it for ground beef portions as they don't last too long. Prior to the sealer, I wrapped meats tightly in plastic wrap and put them into freezer bags. Never really had a problem.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Ok so I'm gettingthe vibe most people just use it for preservinf stuff so far as opposed to the "Can't be bothered to cook but here's something I made earlier..." option?

I'm gonna make a load fo bread soon as pack that up and freeze it. I've just masde a big pot of soup for an experiment haha, go for the tricky end yea. I'll freeze it a wee bit then try my luck. Let ya know how I get on :)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I use plastic deli containers like these for freezing foods I've made ahead. I put them upside down in a large glass measuring cup and thaw in the microwave till it falls out of the container. When it's thawed enough, I put it in a saucepan to stay warm till we're ready to eat.

Name:   WNAAPCTR24.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  4.1 KB
Old 10-19-2017, 05:20 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCat View Post
Ok so I'm gettingthe vibe most people just use it for preservinf stuff so far as opposed to the "Can't be bothered to cook but here's something I made earlier..." option?

I'm gonna make a load fo bread soon as pack that up and freeze it. I've just masde a big pot of soup for an experiment haha, go for the tricky end yea. I'll freeze it a wee bit then try my luck. Let ya know how I get on :)
We are into charcuterie (making sausages, curing meat, etc..) and also buy some meats and cheese in bulk. Our Foodsaver is a necessity. We often buy bulk chuck and pork butt when on sale and grind it ourselves. Regular storage bags don't work to prevent freezer burn with a 6 month supply.