Viking mixer review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Fish

Senior Cook
Today is the day i've now had my Viking 7qt mixer for 6 months:) so i thought i'd give a quick review.
I have read many negative things from other people and did follow links that said that it basically a piece of junk! I'm here to say it isn't....at all!
First however, yes it has a more audiable sound than a KA mixer, but it also has a 1000 watt motor (which is i believe 475W more than the KA Pro?) so normally it is louder. And yes, it does run and get hotter because it has a 1000 watts of power. These were always the two major complaints i've heard of, and people that were complaining never took into consideration of that fact. Which my friend being one of those people complaining, comming over one day and saying "GOOD LORD THAT THING IS LOUD"! My reply to that was "when you can make a 1000 hp Mustang quiet, let me know"....then he understood.:mrgreen:

So far i've had flawless performance out of it, it never struggles with ANY dough, it mixes very well and consistant, and it even grinds meat very, "very" well.
Now, i'm not going to sit here and knock KA mixers at all either because they are tried and true! I will say howvere that it just wasn't for me and i was always looking for a higher wattage "compact" stand mixer, and was actually wanting and waiting for KA to make one like the Viking.

I like it and it's a keeper!:chef:

Peace

Thanks for the write up! Great to know - I didn't realize they had different motors....now I'm wishing I'd had a Viking when I made a giant batch of dough and messed up my KA's ballon-whisk-looking-attachment!

BBQ Fish, you are so lucky to have a Viking anything! :mrgreen: (This is me green with envy!hahaha)

wow, BBQ fish, my kitchenaid only has 400 watts and it can get a bit loud!:LOL:
jkath, you can't turn your kitchenaid up past 2 when you're making dough. just so you know. did you get a replacement whisk attachment?

Cookie dough, it was.

(talking like yoda again, sorry)
I need a replacement! (Mine works but it's so misshapen!)

Im going to try to answer all posts in one
jkath said:
Thanks for the write up! Great to know - I didn't realize they had different motors....now I'm wishing I'd had a Viking when I made a giant batch of dough and messed up my KA's ballon-whisk-looking-attachment!

My old KA-600 did have a 525 watt motor and with dough, it really did seem like it was getting way too hot....and now actually remembering it radiated way more heat.

htc said:
BBQ Fish, you are so lucky to have a Viking anything! :mrgreen: (This is me green with envy!hahaha)

Well, i did sell my KA to get it.:whistling :mrgreen:

luvs_food said:
wow, BBQ fish, my kitchenaid only has 400 watts and it can get a bit loud!:LOL:

When i whip egg whites or heavy cream, the animals duck and the neighbors run for cover
Alex.gif
:ROFLMAO:

jkath - the problem wasn't your mixer - it was your choice of attachments. :rolleyes:

The balloon-whisk isn't intended for heavy batters or doughs - just for light things like egg whites, creams, frostings, some light cakes (like angel food or sponge) and some candies (like divinity) where you are whipping air into them - cookie dough needs the flat beater. You do still have your instruction manual that came with your mixer, don't you? Look up in the front part of the manual under using your attachments, speed control guide, and mixing tips.

My mixer is very quiet. In fact, it makes no sound at all. And it's self healing to boot. When it's overused, I just let it rest for a few days and it's good as new. It works with so many attachments that I couldn't possibly list them all. But it's slow, and becomes overworked when doing things like whipping egg-whites into merangue, or cream into whipped cream. Oddly enough, it handles heavy dough quite well. And my mixer is absolutely priceless. I could never replace it with another. I just wish it had more horsepower, and had greater stamina.

So on the plus side, it has infinite variety and works well for most mixing tasks. On the negative side, it takes longer to do the job, and needs to be stopped more frequently.
My mixer is of course. my right hand and arm. :)>

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have a KA only because I can't afford a Viking. I would take a Viking ANY DAY.
I"ve worked in food service for 20+ years and have used nothing but them.
My mom has an old Hobart commercial mixer that has be at 25 or more years old and that baby works wonderful.
I will some day inherit that from her, but until then I"ll stay with my 6 quart KA.:mrgreen:

Yes, on average Vikings are $100 more:neutral: But people buy used KA's everyday....and i just happened to sell mine with most attachments that got me to where i was able to buy the mixer and the meat grinding attachment with it.:mrgreen:

BBQ Fish said:
Yes, on average Vikings are $100 more:neutral: But people buy used KA's everyday....and i just happened to sell mine with most attachments that got me to where i was able to buy the mixer and the meat grinding attachment with it.:mrgreen:

Viking is much more than $100 higher than a KA Artisan. I paid $205 for mine. Granted it was a good deal and they usually run about $250-$300, but the cheapest Viking I've found is about $500.... way too much for me.

it looks like the Viking is made by DeLonghi (Kenwood). Is it made in the UK? It looks like a heck of a mixer. Not really sure why people are so concerned with the noise. You are cooking, not reading or meditating. I have worked in hotel and resturant kitchens, now there is some serious noise. I love my Kenwood, wouldn't trade my KA Pro6 for anything but a Pro 600, and wish I had a 12qt Hobart. I will have to give the Viking a closer look-see.

jkath said:
Cookie dough, it was.

(talking like yoda again, sorry)
I need a replacement! (Mine works but it's so misshapen!)

get it now, i do.:-p now i want to see that movie again, lol.
i thought you meant bread dough or something like that. but i'm glad you brought that up! i don't want to burn my pretty pink susie's motor out making cookies for my babe.

nytxn said:
Viking is much more than $100 higher than a KA Artisan. I paid $205 for mine. Granted it was a good deal and they usually run about $250-$300, but the cheapest Viking I've found is about $500.... way too much for me.

yeah, i paid $329 for my mixer w/ shipping. i'm happy w/ my purchase. just got her a few months ago at best.

Back
Top Bottom