"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-13-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Viking mixer review

Today is the day i've now had my Viking 7qt mixer for 6 months so i thought i'd give a quick review.
I have read many negative things from other people and did follow links that said that it basically a piece of junk! I'm here to say it isn't....at all!
First however, yes it has a more audiable sound than a KA mixer, but it also has a 1000 watt motor (which is i believe 475W more than the KA Pro?) so normally it is louder. And yes, it does run and get hotter because it has a 1000 watts of power. These were always the two major complaints i've heard of, and people that were complaining never took into consideration of that fact. Which my friend being one of those people complaining, comming over one day and saying "GOOD LORD THAT THING IS LOUD"! My reply to that was "when you can make a 1000 hp Mustang quiet, let me know"....then he understood.

So far i've had flawless performance out of it, it never struggles with ANY dough, it mixes very well and consistant, and it even grinds meat very, "very" well.
Now, i'm not going to sit here and knock KA mixers at all either because they are tried and true! I will say howvere that it just wasn't for me and i was always looking for a higher wattage "compact" stand mixer, and was actually wanting and waiting for KA to make one like the Viking.

I like it and it's a keeper!

Peace

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Thanks for the write up! Great to know - I didn't realize they had different motors....now I'm wishing I'd had a Viking when I made a giant batch of dough and messed up my KA's ballon-whisk-looking-attachment!

Old 07-13-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
Head Chef

BBQ Fish, you are so lucky to have a Viking anything! (This is me green with envy!hahaha)
Old 07-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

wow, BBQ fish, my kitchenaid only has 400 watts and it can get a bit loud!
jkath, you can't turn your kitchenaid up past 2 when you're making dough. just so you know. did you get a replacement whisk attachment?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:32 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Cookie dough, it was.

(talking like yoda again, sorry)
I need a replacement! (Mine works but it's so misshapen!)
Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Im going to try to answer all posts in one
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Thanks for the write up! Great to know - I didn't realize they had different motors....now I'm wishing I'd had a Viking when I made a giant batch of dough and messed up my KA's ballon-whisk-looking-attachment!
My old KA-600 did have a 525 watt motor and with dough, it really did seem like it was getting way too hot....and now actually remembering it radiated way more heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
BBQ Fish, you are so lucky to have a Viking anything! (This is me green with envy!hahaha)
Well, i did sell my KA to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
wow, BBQ fish, my kitchenaid only has 400 watts and it can get a bit loud!
When i whip egg whites or heavy cream, the animals duck and the neighbors run for cover

El Gringo Caliente
BBQ Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

jkath - the problem wasn't your mixer - it was your choice of attachments.

The balloon-whisk isn't intended for heavy batters or doughs - just for light things like egg whites, creams, frostings, some light cakes (like angel food or sponge) and some candies (like divinity) where you are whipping air into them - cookie dough needs the flat beater. You do still have your instruction manual that came with your mixer, don't you? Look up in the front part of the manual under using your attachments, speed control guide, and mixing tips.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:57 PM   #8
Master Chef

My mixer is very quiet. In fact, it makes no sound at all. And it's self healing to boot. When it's overused, I just let it rest for a few days and it's good as new. It works with so many attachments that I couldn't possibly list them all. But it's slow, and becomes overworked when doing things like whipping egg-whites into merangue, or cream into whipped cream. Oddly enough, it handles heavy dough quite well. And my mixer is absolutely priceless. I could never replace it with another. I just wish it had more horsepower, and had greater stamina.

So on the plus side, it has infinite variety and works well for most mixing tasks. On the negative side, it takes longer to do the job, and needs to be stopped more frequently.
My mixer is of course. my right hand and arm. :-)>

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:42 AM   #9
Head Chef

I have the same type mixer Goodweed. Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I have a KA only because I can't afford a Viking. I would take a Viking ANY DAY.
I"ve worked in food service for 20+ years and have used nothing but them.
My mom has an old Hobart commercial mixer that has be at 25 or more years old and that baby works wonderful.
I will some day inherit that from her, but until then I"ll stay with my 6 quart KA.