"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Corey123, look, I am not challenging the detailed facts here, but rather the overall CHARACTERIZATION that we have made "so many unhappy customers". The overwhelming data we have just does not support that statement.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
Executive Chef

There ARE quite a few customers who have returned them.

Look, I know that you work for K'Aid and that you'd defend them to a certain degree, which is natural and not a problem with me, but I don't think anyone is blaming you for this snafu.

It's just one of those unfortune things that, in time, will be rectified.

~Corey123.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Corey123, no problem here. No denying I am biased, and no question that the new metal cover will improve the product.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:33 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I can sense your feel of defending the company.

I felt that same way during most of my 16 years with, and was so gung-ho about United Airlines until mid '03 when they started making us take so many blasted paycuts, losses of benefits and other stuff, then they outsourced my whole department and laid us off! Now I hate them with a passion and would never work for anolther airline ever again!!

Which is part of the reason why I'm going back into my profession as a cook
through the Culinary Arts training program so that I'll be certified as a cook for one of those big hotels out there.

Hopefully, I'll get to use one of those big monster floor-standing Hobart mixers again like before!

~Corey123.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #15
Master Chef

Somehow I don't understand how your employment experiences with United Airlines, or your retraining, has anything to do with the quality of KitchenAid products, Corey.

I've got a $15 West Bend hand mixer that I use when appropriate (once in a while), a KA Pro 6 (most of the time) when appropriate, and I only break out my "Big Boy" 30-qt Hobart when needed (12-15 times a year).

I will admit that a couple of the KA attachments that I purchased are totally useless for my uses - and I wish they had stayed with metal casings on things like the meat grinder rather than switching over to less durable plastic.

Just for grins: If you have a 650 Watt mixer - (1) does that mean that it (a) produces 650 W of power or (b) consumes 650 W of power? (2) What is the ratio of power consumed to the power generated? (3) Is Wolfgang Pucks 800W stand mixer really stronger than a 450W KA Artisan? (4) Do you know how many Watts a single phase, capacitor-start, induction-run type 3/4 hp mixer consumes or produces? Do you know how many Watts 3/4 hp is?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:39 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I was loyal to them like Mixerman47 is loyal to K'Aid.

And BTW, yes, when United had the flight kitchen in Boston, they did in fact have and use a K'Ad mixer for processing small amounts of things. They also had a large floor floor-standing Hobart mixer for mixer large amounts of stuff and they had both for many years without any problems and yes, the kitchen where we will be trained has both also, so yes, as for your question, United and the training has a lot to do with the quality of K'Aid mixers.

I've read some time ago that the power in stand mixers aren't really measured by wattage, but rather by the amount of torque the motor and transmission produce.

For instance, the motor in my K'Aid stand mixer has 250 watts, but it produces 8.6 oz. ft. of torque. The transmission produces 272 oz. ft. of torque. That makes a total of 280.6 oz. ft. of torque.

I LOVE to have that mixer shown, BTW. But accoding to the chef who is training us, it costs about $8,000.00!

In the high school kitchen where we are being trained, it has five Hobart mixers. One is a huge 60-qt. floor standing model, two are a 30-qt. model - one of them look just like the one in the pic above, two 20-qt. models and there's also a KitchenAid K5SS 5-qt. bowl-lift mixer for small mixing jobs.

And the Hobart mixers that I used in the past, didn't have safety guards on them like they do now. This has been mandated by OSHA.

~Corey123.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Ok, so does the KA-PRO 600 use a plastic cover or a metal cover? I noticed no one has come out and answered this question directly. Or more to the point, does the KA-600 I bought brand new just last week use a plastic or metal cover?

Me, I don't have a car, so transporting my KitchenAid ANYWHERE for repair, no matter how cheap it may be, is a very big deal for me. Even if it costs $1 to repair, if it breaks down at all, that will seriously piss me off.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
The current pro 600 has the plastic gear housing cover.

Use it with confidence. If you are in the USA and it breaks during the warranty period, KA will send you a shipping label to send it back to them and they will send you a new one so you don't have to take it anywhere fo repair (if I understand the warranty right) and it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will have problems. My experiance is the KA customer service is fantastic.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr
Ok, so does the KA-PRO 600 use a plastic cover or a metal cover? I noticed no one has come out and answered this question directly. Or more to the point, does the KA-600 I bought brand new just last week use a plastic or metal cover?

Me, I don't have a car, so transporting my KitchenAid ANYWHERE for repair, no matter how cheap it may be, is a very big deal for me. Even if it costs $1 to repair, if it breaks down at all, that will seriously piss me off.

It should be alright. But use Speed 2 only, if you plan to make dough for bread. From what we were told, that speed has the most power for dough making.

~Corey123.