"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Viking Stand Mixer

I am thinking of buying the 5qt Viking Stand Mixer. Can anyone tell me of their knowledge of and/or personal experience with this machine?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
DC's Angel

The way I see Emeril struggling with his on TV makes me think they're poorly designed. It doesn't make sense to have to lift the entire weight of the mixer head and support base every time you want to scrape the bowl. Katie E and I use the KitchenAid "bowl up" mixer and love it.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi Buck -
Smeone just told me that Emeril, who used to have the Kitchenaid, is now using a Viking. I wonder if it's because he likes it better or Viking is giving show a better deal than KA. Also wonder if he is strugglng because his is the larger model?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
DC's Angel

Viking supplied a lot of the appliances for the show in exchange for mention in the credits. I think he struggles with it because it's a lousy design. At least that's my best guess.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
The way I see Emeril struggling with his on TV makes me think they're poorly designed. It doesn't make sense to have to lift the entire weight of the mixer head and support base every time you want to scrape the bowl. Katie E and I use the KitchenAid "bowl up" mixer and love it.

Yeah, I also saw that one, Buck.

Chef Bobby Flay was his special guest on the show. They both were making a desert near the last segment of the program, each using a Viking of their own.

They both had trouble with them. Haha!! The bowls became embarrassingly stuck to the bases of BOTH machines. And they just couldn't get them off!

And you're right!! What's the use in buying this piece of crap if it's gonna do that?

Emeril went from sugar to crap (haha!!) when he did that! But I imagine that he has no control over that, but he should certainly complain about it!

Notice that the show Emeril Live has been revamped with a brighter more modern setting in the background. On the older episodes of the show he uses the green K'Aid mixer, but on the newer spisodes he uses the Viking mixer.

Like you said, why go through the hassle and embarrassment of having to lift the whole machine and turn it over just to scrape or empty the bowl?

JB1, I think you're better off buying either a K'Aid Stand Mixer or the Electrolux Assistant. They're both good.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
I have no experience with the Viking, but this weekend I just bought the Kitchen Aid Professional 5 model and am very pleased with it. It runs a little loud, but it is an electric mixer after all... So far I've only made one batch of cookies, but the mixer performed well and was very easy to use. The cookies were very tasty to boot ;)
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I use a 53' Sunbeam Mixmaster.....
Old 02-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_evo99
I have no experience with the Viking, but this weekend I just bought the Kitchen Aid Professional 5 model and am very pleased with it. It runs a little loud, but it is an electric mixer after all... So far I've only made one batch of cookies, but the mixer performed well and was very easy to use. The cookies were very tasty to boot ;)

I think you'll be better off with the K'Aid than with a Viking.

And that's what I want to do soon - make some cookies!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I don't have any experieince with the Viking stand mixer, but I do have a plethora of experience with Emeril LaGasse, and I think he struggles with it because it has too many moving parts. He is defintiely NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I have a KA 5 Quart Professional and love it. I replaced a 35 year old K5A, because I wanted the extra power. I kept my old one and still use it for things like rolling pasta, etc.
I have a friend who bought the Viking. She is very unhappy with it and wants to sell it and buy a KA. The problem is who do you sell something like that to.