Viking Stand Mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JB1

Assistant Cook
I am thinking of buying the 5qt Viking Stand Mixer. Can anyone tell me of their knowledge of and/or personal experience with this machine?

The way I see Emeril struggling with his on TV makes me think they're poorly designed. It doesn't make sense to have to lift the entire weight of the mixer head and support base every time you want to scrape the bowl. Katie E and I use the KitchenAid "bowl up" mixer and love it.

Last edited:
Hi Buck -
Smeone just told me that Emeril, who used to have the Kitchenaid, is now using a Viking. I wonder if it's because he likes it better or Viking is giving show a better deal than KA. Also wonder if he is strugglng because his is the larger model?

Viking supplied a lot of the appliances for the show in exchange for mention in the credits. I think he struggles with it because it's a lousy design. At least that's my best guess.

Last edited:
Buck said:
The way I see Emeril struggling with his on TV makes me think they're poorly designed. It doesn't make sense to have to lift the entire weight of the mixer head and support base every time you want to scrape the bowl. Katie E and I use the KitchenAid "bowl up" mixer and love it.

Yeah, I also saw that one, Buck.

Chef Bobby Flay was his special guest on the show. They both were making a desert near the last segment of the program, each using a Viking of their own.

They both had trouble with them. Haha!! The bowls became embarrassingly stuck to the bases of BOTH machines. And they just couldn't get them off!:ohmy:

And you're right!! What's the use in buying this piece of crap if it's gonna do that?:ermm:

Emeril went from sugar to crap (haha!!) when he did that! But I imagine that he has no control over that, but he should certainly complain about it!

Notice that the show Emeril Live has been revamped with a brighter more modern setting in the background. On the older episodes of the show he uses the green K'Aid mixer, but on the newer spisodes he uses the Viking mixer.

Like you said, why go through the hassle and embarrassment of having to lift the whole machine and turn it over just to scrape or empty the bowl?:mad:

JB1, I think you're better off buying either a K'Aid Stand Mixer or the Electrolux Assistant. They're both good.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Viking, but this weekend I just bought the Kitchen Aid Professional 5 model and am very pleased with it. It runs a little loud, but it is an electric mixer after all... So far I've only made one batch of cookies, but the mixer performed well and was very easy to use. The cookies were very tasty to boot ;)

mad_evo99 said:
I have no experience with the Viking, but this weekend I just bought the Kitchen Aid Professional 5 model and am very pleased with it. It runs a little loud, but it is an electric mixer after all... So far I've only made one batch of cookies, but the mixer performed well and was very easy to use. The cookies were very tasty to boot ;)

I think you'll be better off with the K'Aid than with a Viking.

And that's what I want to do soon - make some cookies!

I don't have any experieince with the Viking stand mixer, but I do have a plethora of experience with Emeril LaGasse, and I think he struggles with it because it has too many moving parts. He is defintiely NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I have a KA 5 Quart Professional and love it. I replaced a 35 year old K5A, because I wanted the extra power. I kept my old one and still use it for things like rolling pasta, etc.
I have a friend who bought the Viking. She is very unhappy with it and wants to sell it and buy a KA. The problem is who do you sell something like that to.:ohmy:

K'Aid and the Electrolux Assistant are both good, the Assistant costing more, depending on the color that you want.

I'd stay away from Viking and Delonghi, which is almost similar and is more than likely made by the same company! Sears also has a Kenmore stand mixer that looks almost like this, but styled dfferently.

Your friend is probably better off just giving away her Viking.

Yes Caine, Emeril acts a little ecsentric at times. "I don't know about you, but where I get my chicken from, it don't come seasoned."

Last edited:
Essiebunny said:
I have a friend who bought the Viking. She is very unhappy with it and wants to sell it and buy a KA. The problem is who do you sell something like that to.:ohmy:

As for selling the machine, there's always eBay.

I love my KA, too. Have had it for well over 20 years and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Great minds think alike, hey?!

Same goes for me. My 20-year-old K45SS has outlasted the K'Aid portable dishwasher that I once owned, and they were both bought new! The dishwasher lasted for 16 years.

Viking Mixer

I have had both the Viking and the Kitchenaid Mixers. I LOVE my Viking Mixer so much more. I watch Emeril as well and cannot understand why he is having a problem using his. I have the same one and do not have any problems. It is so much sturdier than the Kitchenaid. I won't go back. In fact, I bought their food processer as well.

Corey123 said:
Yes Caine, Emeril acts a little ecsentric at times. "I don't know about you, but where I get my chicken from, it don't come seasoned."
Acts a little ecsentric? He is not only two cans short of a six-pack, he's missing the little plastic ring thingie too. It's been, what, 7 years since he started on Food TV? He still can't say "double you double you double you dot foodnetwork dot com" without screwing it up!

Last edited:
Last night, I saw him using a white K'Aid food processor.

Hmm, wonder if he's grown tired of putting up with broken Viking mixers and is going back to K'Aid again.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody -

I'm the one who originally posted the question about the Viking Stand Mixer.

In my recent research, I'm seeing that while the top of the KA line (Pro 600) will do 2 or 3 loaves of bread at a time, the flour can not be whole grain flour or any flour that produces stiff dough. While the old KA's could handle this, what I'm reading is that the newer ones cannot. I need a mixer that can handle whole grain flours.

MelissaM43

How long have you had your Viking and have you used it with whole grain flour or bread flour which produces stiffer dough than all purpose flour.

I'll hear from anyone who has used a stand mixer to regularly do this.

Look into the Electrolux Assistant Stand Mixer.

JB1 said:
Hi Everybody -

I'm the one who originally posted the question about the Viking Stand Mixer.

In my recent research, I'm seeing that while the top of the KA line (Pro 600) will do 2 or 3 loaves of bread at a time, the flour can not be whole grain flour or any flour that produces stiff dough. While the old KA's could handle this, what I'm reading is that the newer ones cannot. I need a mixer that can handle whole grain flours.

MelissaM43

How long have you had your Viking and have you used it with whole grain flour or bread flour which produces stiffer dough than all purpose flour.

I'll hear from anyone who has used a stand mixer to regularly do this.

It works for me!:chef:

And yes, I DID make some whole wheat bread with it. Enough for 3 loaves. It CAN do enough dough for eight loaves, but that's too much bread for me.:ermm:

Let me know if you want the website address, and I'll give it to you.

Last edited:
The simple truth is, regardless of the mixer brand, the thicker the dough the less that can be mixed at one time compared to the maximum capacity of All-Purpose flour. I'll admit, I didn't look up the manual for Electrolux - but I assume they are limited by the same laws of physics as all other mixers.

While I agree that the KA mixers made by Hobart are superior in quality and craftsmanship compared to the new breed made since KA was acquired by Whirlpool (those darn high-temp plastic tranny cases just didn't work as they thought they would) - they were not without their limits, too! Right, Daquan?

Basically - you can figure on reducing your batch flour content by about 1/3 between AP and Whole Grain (Whole What) flour. I've been making my own (2 loaves at a time) version of a modified Honey-Butter Cornell Triple-Rich WW bread (4 cups bread flour and 3 cups WW plus milk solids, wheat germ, etc.) every 7-10 days for about 4 years in a KA Pro-6 without a problem. I probably could bump it up to make a 3rd loaf - but that's more than I could use at one time.

Here is the User Manual for the Viking mixer. Scroll down to the bottom of page 5 - and read the "Hints for Making Bread" section ... it's about 12 cups AP flour for the 5-qt mixer, 15 cups for the 7-qt mixer, and a note warning that "Maxumum capacity reflects using white, All-Purpose flour. If using stone ground or high-gluten flours; recipes will have to be adjusted as not to overload the mixer."

That's about the same as the KA Pro 6 or Pro 600.

Here is the Mixer Capacity Chart for various Hobart models ... not as easy to understand since it's based on Pounds of flour and Absorption Rates. I really only included it to show that even with the best commercial mixers - the thicker the dough the less capacity any given mixer can handle.

The point is - read the manual before you buy.

RE: TV Cooking Demonstrators having problems on air ...

We talked about this in another thread, think it was about food processors ... TV cooking demonstrators use the products supplied by their sponsors ... which may not be equipment they are familiar with. And, they are generally working from the back of the machine, not the front like they/we normally would - so everything is backwards to them, but you see the machine from the front. You can not judge the eas of use of a product in this situation - and it certainly does not indicate if a presenter is a qualified cook or not.

As for Emeril and the Viking mixer - I have seen a couple of shows where he used one ... but just a couple. Don't know if he went back to KA, or I'm just not watching him as much as I used to.

Last edited:
Well, we know that the lower the speed for breadmaking, the greater the torque and strength of the mixer.

I once owned an Oster Kitchen Center. And the speed for bread making had to be at the highest level, accoding to the manual.

The Electrolux Assistant gives you a choice as to which device you can use to make dough. The regular roller / scraper assembly for normal dough, and for really stiff dough, you can use the dough hook.

I don't watch Emeril that much either as of late, mainly because they keep on showing repeat episodes of his show.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom