Viking vs Wolf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, bit the bullet....ordered a Wolf Range, additional oven and microwave! I'm so excited.

Here's what I learned:

Wolf has the electronic features on the ovens....delay start, timed baking etc. and Viking did not. Wolf has a thermometer display that tells you digitally what the temp of the oven is and lets you know when your oven is at the preheat temp....Viking has neither. Viking has no electronics other than the ignitors.

Wolf has the dual convection system (two fans)...Viking has one.

Viking has a whole bunch of color options....Wolf does not.

Viking burners frequently go off when on the low simmer mode; Wolf simmers lower than Viking;

Wolf will be changing their burner design next year.

Wolf had continuous grates covering 2 burners....Viking had individual grates;

Wolf has a low backsplash (I'm sure that's not the right term) whereas if you don't want to have a high piece of stainless behind your range....Viking's smaller one is an additional option and costs extra....Wolf comes that way.

Wolf has better customer service;

Viking is prettier....if you want a showpiece, buy a Viking...if you want to really cook and have the range be a workhorse...buy a Wolf.

Looking at all the high end kitchen design magazines, I see mostly Wolf ranges....just an observation....didn't factor into my decision.

Rumor has it that the company that makes the hoods for Wolf has gotten wind that Wolf will begin manufacturing them in house and there's been some delivery / quality control issues on the hoods.

Door design is sturdier on Wolf than Viking; Viking has a history of problems with their doors. Wolf is guaranteed to hold 70 lbs;

I'm sure there's more but that's what I remember off the top of my head. :chef:

Wolf Stove Top and Double Oven

I purchased a Wolf stove top and double oven less than a year ago. To date I have had 3 service calls on the double oven because the lower oven would not heat up. A temperature sensor, fan and vent had to be replaced. Tomorrow another service call is to be made as the oven has ceased to work. The stove top has had to having a burner repalced because it is warped and does not function properly. Needless to say I am a bit unhappy. If this is an example of quality I was fortunate that I did not choose their counterpart refrigerator at $4000.

I will say service has been acceptable but the time to identifying the problem and the arrival of the parts seems excessive.:(

AGAIN... what about the Jenn-air stoves?

i heard consumer reports ranked them higher than Wolf & Viking.

Andy M. said:
I don't have any knowledge or experience with Jenn-Air. Have you checked out ratings online?

i don't get consumer reports, but there was an article a while back that rated jenn-air higher than wolf & viking... if i recall correctly.

The ovens we had in our previos home were Jenn air. The only problem we had was the thermostate had to be adjusted, otherwise no problems. Unfortunately the Wolf has a lot of nice features, NOW IF IT WORKED THAT WOULD BE NICE. Glad I tok out added insurance.

black chef said:
AGAIN... what about the Jenn-air stoves?

i heard consumer reports ranked them higher than Wolf & Viking.
Like I've said before, I LOVE my JennAir! any of you are free to pm me with your questions. I also am a consultant for JennAir... Ask away. :)

congrats, tho, on deciding on a Wolf. I think they're much better than Viking... but I am delighted with my JennAir... and NO, they did not give it to me., I bought it.

Yeah, but not everyone has a subscription. You can also go the traditional route and try the library.

I went to a website and looked at the 60" Wolf ... OH MY GOODNESS .. It didn't have a price and I probably didn't need the heart attack anyway. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thanks for starting this thread!!

Six burners WOW .. or griddle or charbroiler .. what is a French top tho??

My closing date date got pushed. So, I still haven't seen my 30" AG Wolf. :(But I am pretty happy about the reviews so far.

Keep posinting the updates. It is very hard to find specific comparision of Wolf Vs. Viking in the net. That is why I started this thread and its getting real good response from the experts.

I hear a lot of stories about problems with these "professional" stoves. I grew up with the $400 electric stoves and never had a single problem with any of them. My mom has a $700 unit (some no-name brand) that has a gas top and electric oven. That would be my choice.

Extra insurance? A $4k+ stove should be of high enough quality to work for 100 years... :LOL:

If you need extra burners/ovens, you could buy 10 stoves for the price of one of those "pro" units. Then you could have 40 burners and ten ovens. If one conked out, no big deal... :cool: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, those Wolf's look nice, but I question their value.

Some of the justification for buying a Wolf instead of 10 low-end Magic Chefs (or whatever) is the configuration and heat output of the burners. Home stoves generate a fraction of the BTUs you can get from a Wolf.

You can't put one big pot of water on ten stoves to heat up faster, but you can put it on one Wolf burner and get the job done.

Andy M. said:
Wolf is preferred over Viking becuase Viking has had some quality problems and has a reputation for poor quality as a result.

Gas on the stove top and electric oven because electric has advantages over gas in the oven. Faster heat up and more even temperatures. Also, gas produces moisture in the oven, which can effect your baking.

Not trying to get off topic, but yes, you're right!!

And also, their countertop appliances are a peice of crap as well!! On Emeril Live, Emeril and his featured guest Chef Bobby Flay both used a Viking Stand Mixer to make a desert, and the bowls somehow mysteriously got stuck to the bases of BOTH machines. They just couldn't get them off!!

The plastic parts then started to fall off. Proof that you truly get what you pay for!! Buy quality once or buy crap forever!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Some of the justification for buying a Wolf instead of 10 low-end Magic Chefs (or whatever) is the configuration and heat output of the burners. Home stoves generate a fraction of the BTUs you can get from a Wolf.
Yeah, but how much heat and speed do people really need for home use? I have a 35kBTU wok stove I got from the Wok Shop in San Fran, but stir-fry's are really the only cooking technique that requires that much heat (if you want that "Wok Hay" flavor from the flames licking into the pan). I suppose you can boil water quicker, but is that the only thing a 700% markup is getting you? I hear some people argue about oven accuracy, but even my $500 jobber has very small swings in temp that are almost negligible with the large stone I keep on the bottom shelf.

I do like the spacing between burners on bigger stoves (and how some have hot plates), but thats about it. I think I would be even happier with two $1k stoves side by side - gas burners and electric ovens. I remember going to a diner when I was little, and the cook had three gas stoves (different colored consumer units) along with a gas-fired griddle. :LOL:

Nicholas Mosher said:
Yeah, but how much heat and speed do people really need for home use? I have a 35kBTU wok stove I got from the Wok Shop in San Fran, but stir-fry's are really the only cooking technique that requires that much heat (if you want that "Wok Hay" flavor from the flames licking into the pan). I suppose you can boil water quicker, but is that the only thing a 700% markup is getting you? I hear some people argue about oven accuracy, but even my $500 jobber has very small swings in temp that are almost negligible with the large stone I keep on the bottom shelf.

I do like the spacing between burners on bigger stoves (and how some have hot plates), but thats about it. I think I would be even happier with two $1k stoves side by side - gas burners and electric ovens. I remember going to a diner when I was little, and the cook had three gas stoves (different colored consumer units) along with a gas-fired griddle. :LOL:

Isn't outside ventilation strongly recommended for these stoves, since they are of the industrial resturant-style type? One would think so since they use a very powerful BTU range.

I can't use my wok stove in my apartment for the heat reasons you pointed out. I either use it out on the porch or at work in the shop. 35kBTU is actually way more than I need for a 14" wok. Thats enough heat to literally make the pan glow cherry red. I suppose it's nice if you have one of those giant 20+" jobbers that you're cooking enough food for ten people (or using to deep fry), but I rarely use it at it's highest heat setting. I like it because it holds a round bottomed wok perfectly and it's a gas flame. I usually start my stir frying on a medium flame, and then finish with it on high, with the forward end of the wok leaning down and tossing the food which allows the flames to lick into the pan and catch any oil/rice wine particles on fire which gives the food that great taste.

Back
Top Bottom