Viking vs Wolf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do not buy Jen Air

We just bought a new house with all Jenn Air applicances. The oven is horrible and it cost $3,600. Service man has been out twice. There a 31 pages in consumer affairs about trouble with Jenn air appliances. My oven is 100 degrees difference from the front of the oven to the back and that is on convection, I afraid to cook anything not on convection. Some of the oven doors have fallen off 5 0r 6 times. Called the repair guy again he said call Jenn Air he can't fix it. So I am buying a new wall oven, I am stiring toward the Wolf. Any comments

I love my wolf dual fuel range. I've had it a year and I'd happily buy it again.

Good luck!

-Mary

viking or wolf

bought a viking 16 yrs ago before many people had them top burners are great, broiler stinks and have had to replace several parts often. I am getting a new range for my new home and will not consider viking. I am going with wolf

I bought a free-standing, dual-fuel Wolf in May, largely due to the reviews about Wolf on this thread. I LOVE it. I feel I have a great piece of equipment that will last throughtout the years and will add value to my kitchen. Go Wolf!!

Do not buy Jenn Air, it is the worst. My oven is two years old and no service person can fix it. It was in the house when we bought it, so we have a home appliance warranty, the warranty company cannot find anyone that can fix it either. So they are sending me $900 toward a new oven, not such a good deal since the Jenn Air cost $3,600. It takes one hour to preheat, there is a 50 degree difference from the front to the back and in one half hour the oven temperator varies 50 degrees every minute. What a piece of crap.

I'll add to this ancient thread. I had a 30" Wolf stove for years...and it was terrific...now that my ex-wife has it...life has been terrible.. ;-)

No worries, I'm getting another one.

One interesting angle, I did buy a "warranty" and one day I had a "technician" out to look at something, and I mentioned that some stoves have one burner hotter than the others for use of a wok, etc. He asked me if I wanted that and I said yes. He asked that I not tell anyone, but then proceeded to bore a larger hole in the jet, allowing for more gas to flow to the burner. From that point on, I had one approximately 20,000- 22,000 BTU burner for my wok, and 16,000 on the other burners...brilliant. I'll do the same to my new one.

Jah

I'll add to this ancient thread. I had a 30" Wolf stove for years...and it was terrific...now that my ex-wife has it...life has been terrible.. ;-)

One interesting angle, I did buy a "warranty" and one day I had a "technician" out to look at something, and I mentioned that some stoves have one burner hotter than the others for use of a wok, etc. He asked me if I wanted that and I said yes. He asked that I not tell anyone, but then proceeded to bore a larger hole in the jet, allowing for more gas to flow to the burner. From that point on, I had one approximately 20,000- 22,000 BTU burner for my wok, and 16,000 on the other burners...brilliant. I'll do the same to my new one.

Jah

Glad you are getting a new Wolf. Loved your story about the wok burner!

My Wolf dual fuel 36" range is 15 months old now and going strong. A month after it was installed I had it calibrated by Wolf service. It is true to temp, cooks as I set it, gently or blazing. The infra red broiler is awesome, as is the convection roast...never had such a turkey at Thanksgiving. I am very pleased and would buy one again.

All that being said, to each his/her own. My sis loves her Frigidaire glass top speed bake range. I've used it many times and it cooks great. You should get the range you are comfortable using and maintaining and that works the way you like to cook. That's what's important.

I would add to the comments that you should account for your cooking equipment when selecting your range/oven.
Perhaps I have been extremely lucky, I installed myself gas Jenn-Air appliances when I renovated my kitchen (all purchased on a Sears discount warehouse) and I never had an issue with them.
I use cooper and cast iron cookware, the stove does not require to be at high temperatures and the wall oven is off temperature not more than 10/15 degrees F (checked with Taylor thermoteter).

However, if you still feel the hunger for real BTU power check Molteni, owned by Electrolux.

If you're getting another wife, make sure she doesn't come with a Jenn-Air! :ohmy:

Not Happy with Wolf

We purchased a Wolf Dual Fuel and its not a great cooktop. If you are considering a Wolf, Do This-- Cook on one first. The flame is fine... its hard to mess up a gas flame. The problem is their burners throw the heat out.... and around. If you using smaller pots or pans they take a long time to heat up because the heat goes around the bottom at any setting over simmer. The pot handle will be hotter than the bottom of your pot!! On larger pans you have a cooler spot in the center of your pans.... uneven heating.
Customer Service's answer was....Wolf makes the best ranges in the world.
OK, If you want a name plate or wall hanger go for it.... try before you buy!!! A name isnt everything. What matters is How it cooks.

If you're getting another wife, make sure she doesn't come with a Jenn-Air! :ohmy:

Well, I don't know why not. I LOVE my JennAir dual fuel range.

Kenn... trying out a Wolf before buying should be fairly easy. All the showrooms (at least in this area) offer cooking evenings so prospective buyers can try out the equipment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom