"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Yeah, but not everyone has a subscription. You can also go the traditional route and try the library.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:34 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I went to a website and looked at the 60" Wolf ... OH MY GOODNESS .. It didn't have a price and I probably didn't need the heart attack anyway. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thanks for starting this thread!!

Six burners WOW .. or griddle or charbroiler .. what is a French top tho??

Old 11-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

My closing date date got pushed. So, I still haven't seen my 30" AG Wolf. But I am pretty happy about the reviews so far.

Keep posinting the updates. It is very hard to find specific comparision of Wolf Vs. Viking in the net. That is why I started this thread and its getting real good response from the experts.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #34
Sous Chef

I hear a lot of stories about problems with these "professional" stoves. I grew up with the $400 electric stoves and never had a single problem with any of them. My mom has a $700 unit (some no-name brand) that has a gas top and electric oven. That would be my choice.

Extra insurance? A $4k+ stove should be of high enough quality to work for 100 years...

If you need extra burners/ovens, you could buy 10 stoves for the price of one of those "pro" units. Then you could have 40 burners and ten ovens. If one conked out, no big deal...

Seriously, those Wolf's look nice, but I question their value.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Some of the justification for buying a Wolf instead of 10 low-end Magic Chefs (or whatever) is the configuration and heat output of the burners. Home stoves generate a fraction of the BTUs you can get from a Wolf.

You can't put one big pot of water on ten stoves to heat up faster, but you can put it on one Wolf burner and get the job done.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Wolf is preferred over Viking becuase Viking has had some quality problems and has a reputation for poor quality as a result.

Gas on the stove top and electric oven because electric has advantages over gas in the oven. Faster heat up and more even temperatures. Also, gas produces moisture in the oven, which can effect your baking.

Not trying to get off topic, but yes, you're right!!

And also, their countertop appliances are a peice of crap as well!! On Emeril Live, Emeril and his featured guest Chef Bobby Flay both used a Viking Stand Mixer to make a desert, and the bowls somehow mysteriously got stuck to the bases of BOTH machines. They just couldn't get them off!!

The plastic parts then started to fall off. Proof that you truly get what you pay for!! Buy quality once or buy crap forever!!

~Corey123.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Some of the justification for buying a Wolf instead of 10 low-end Magic Chefs (or whatever) is the configuration and heat output of the burners. Home stoves generate a fraction of the BTUs you can get from a Wolf.
Yeah, but how much heat and speed do people really need for home use? I have a 35kBTU wok stove I got from the Wok Shop in San Fran, but stir-fry's are really the only cooking technique that requires that much heat (if you want that "Wok Hay" flavor from the flames licking into the pan). I suppose you can boil water quicker, but is that the only thing a 700% markup is getting you? I hear some people argue about oven accuracy, but even my $500 jobber has very small swings in temp that are almost negligible with the large stone I keep on the bottom shelf.

I do like the spacing between burners on bigger stoves (and how some have hot plates), but thats about it. I think I would be even happier with two $1k stoves side by side - gas burners and electric ovens. I remember going to a diner when I was little, and the cook had three gas stoves (different colored consumer units) along with a gas-fired griddle.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm glad you enjoy your $500. jobber...
Old 11-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
Yeah, but how much heat and speed do people really need for home use? I have a 35kBTU wok stove I got from the Wok Shop in San Fran, but stir-fry's are really the only cooking technique that requires that much heat (if you want that "Wok Hay" flavor from the flames licking into the pan). I suppose you can boil water quicker, but is that the only thing a 700% markup is getting you? I hear some people argue about oven accuracy, but even my $500 jobber has very small swings in temp that are almost negligible with the large stone I keep on the bottom shelf.

I do like the spacing between burners on bigger stoves (and how some have hot plates), but thats about it. I think I would be even happier with two $1k stoves side by side - gas burners and electric ovens. I remember going to a diner when I was little, and the cook had three gas stoves (different colored consumer units) along with a gas-fired griddle.

Isn't outside ventilation strongly recommended for these stoves, since they are of the industrial resturant-style type? One would think so since they use a very powerful BTU range.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #40
Sous Chef

I can't use my wok stove in my apartment for the heat reasons you pointed out. I either use it out on the porch or at work in the shop. 35kBTU is actually way more than I need for a 14" wok. Thats enough heat to literally make the pan glow cherry red. I suppose it's nice if you have one of those giant 20+" jobbers that you're cooking enough food for ten people (or using to deep fry), but I rarely use it at it's highest heat setting. I like it because it holds a round bottomed wok perfectly and it's a gas flame. I usually start my stir frying on a medium flame, and then finish with it on high, with the forward end of the wok leaning down and tossing the food which allows the flames to lick into the pan and catch any oil/rice wine particles on fire which gives the food that great taste.