"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I currently have a VM 5000. Got the super, came with wet and dry canisters. I had always had VM 3600's or 4000's in the past, and refurbished enough of them to have a running account with VM's parts dept. But...as classy as the 3600's and powerful as the 4000's are, I can no longer get parts for them. The last one I rebuilt needed a twelve point drive hub because the old six point was damaged and they not only didn't have any six point parts, they only had the twelve point for the canister. Fortunately I had a twelve point drive hub left from a kit for another refurb I did. Parts no mas.But yes, those 4000's are the bomb.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I currently have a VM 5000. Got the super, came with wet and dry canisters. I had always had VM 3600's or 4000's in the past, and refurbished enough of them to have a running account with VM's parts dept. But...as classy as the 3600's and powerful as the 4000's are, I can no longer get parts for them. The last one I rebuilt needed a twelve point drive hub because the old six point was damaged and they not only didn't have any six point parts, they only had the twelve point for the canister. Fortunately I had a twelve point drive hub left from a kit for another refurb I did. Parts no mas.But yes, those 4000's are the bomb.
I don't consider it a selling point that you have "a running account with VM's parts dept"

Just how many repairs have you had to make at what cost?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I have had zero repairs to my VM 5000. The repairs I have made to 3600's and 4000's were in the nature of total refurbishment. I would buy them used from thrift stores and at yard sales for $10-$30 and rebuild them as new, then resell them. They probably left my hands good for another twenty to thirty years. I included a half dozen lid gaskets, two sets of lid clips and the kit to close off the spigot, plus a wooden tamper, with every 3600 and 4000 I sold. They're fine machines. I kept a running account because I ordered parts weekly for several years. Just made it easier.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I didn't realize you were doing that.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #15
Head Chef

I was really on the line, considering a Vitamix. Ultimately I decided to go with the Blendtec (will it blend?). From all my research they're both absolutely fantastic machines, both have 7 year warranties, etc. The thing that swayed me was the fact that the Blendtec Total Blender has a 3 hp motor vs. 2 hp for the Vitamix, plus the fact that the Blendtec is designed to not need a tamper. I'm sure the Vitamix would have been just as good.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
Senior Cook

great....

Great discussion. I just ordered one just 5 minutes ago :). I've been an oster blender person for awhile but since my 4th one broke down today (jar started leaking) i decided to do a lot of research to find out which one would be right for me.

Osters are great for the price except for "plastic" ring that holds the blade in place on the jar. The gear system on the osters are great being all metal and are powerful but the cheap made rings always crack and start leaking within 1-2 years of use. Replacements are usually even cheaper and break sooner. My last was a oster fusion.

So i did as much research as i could. It looks like KA is highly rated for the price but it isn't well made and breaks down quickly. See: Blenders - Cook's Illustrated also see all the complaints on amazon.

I then did a lot of research on the blendtec & vitamix. After my research i decided to go with the vitamix for three primary reasons:
1. People who have both agree both are great but generally agree the vita-mix is better supposedly the vita-mix blade spins slightly faster.
2. Vita-mix stands behinds its product (look at the warranty).
3. Its made in the good ol.. USA and not china

I do kind of like the controls on the blendtec better but thats not really whats important for a blender.

I really didn't want to spend that much on a blender but this way i don't have to worry about constantly having to buy a replacement (i use my blender constantly). If i couldn't quite afford the vita-mix then i would buy the http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BBL60...eville+blender

You can be a refurbished vita-mix directly from them for almost 1/2 the price. You can also find a free shipping code if you search google. They do reduce the warranty (unless you want to spend $75 extra) to 5 years but 5 years is still a lot of warranty for a blender.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Time to revisit this thread. I was in a thrift store today, same one I bought my Vitamix 5000 Super at about 12 years ago...gee, has it been that long? Yeah...sigh. Anyhoo, they had a brand-spankin' new Vitamix CIA (Culinary Institute of America) signature model, that being a 5000, in brushed stainless steel, in the box. It was pricey at about $300, but I bought it anyway. Got home, registered it online to ensure my 7 year warranty, listed my old 5000, the $58 one, on Craigs List for $200. Sold in minutes, and I have the unused dry container listed as well. I think I'm gonna horse trade my way into a brand new stainless steel Vitamix for the original $58 I spent on the other one.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #18
Head Chef

Nice! Sounds like you made out pretty good.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Head Chef

I absolutely love my very old VitaMix that I bought decades ago used!
I used to use it all the time but because of space constraints in my small apartment I have to store it in a cabinet. (As one ages the words "out of sight, out of mind" has more meaning!)

I won't list all the things I used it for---- too lengthy a list.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
Head Chef

Gads, you have ALL the luck! Congratulations!

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote