"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Cook

Vitamix blenders

Does anyone have a Vitamix blender? Is it worth the extra money. I want a blender that will last and make frozen margaritas etc. plus a general all-purpose blender. I've heard many blenders do not do a good job on the ice. Also there are so many models of Vitamix. The new one is REALLY expensive but it is supposedly much quieter. How loud are these things?
Thanks!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Vitamix is more for juicing and soups.

I was sick of replacing so-so blenders every few years so I bought a Ninja a few weeks ago, on a few friends' recommendationsns. The blade is not just one level on the bottom - it's on a few levels, and it's 1000 watts of power. It was $99 on Amazon.

You can get name-brand blenders for $50 or $80 but it doesn't seem like they have as much power accompanied with a lesser blade so for ice, this is a good investment.

Ours is not that loud, either.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I use my vitamix to make peanut butter, ice cream, smoothies... To me it's worth every penny. QVC sometimes have them on 5 or 6 monthly payments it's way better than paying the full amount at one time. I have the Vitamix GC ( Galaxy Class ) I was doing some searches online and from the looks it to the specs of the machine. To me it's the same as the Vitamix Professional Series 200 only with a different name.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I had an older VitaMix, a 3600, with the chrome base and stainless steel container, and didn't replace it with a newer model for a very long time because I found the price prohibitive. But when I found an as-new VitaMix 5200 with both wet and dry canisters/blades, in the opened box with no sign of use for $58 in a thrift store, I couldn't pass it up. Passed the old VM on to a friend and use the new VM almost daily. As a blender, for smoothies, crushed ice, makes pesto and cream soups. I don't make many margaritas or daiquiris with it, as I'm not much of a drinker, but I'm sure it would be more than adequate. I also have a Green Life and a Champion strictly for juicing, although the Champion makes excellent nut butters, and is great for pulping and straining large amounts of fruit, tomatoes, etc.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm ok with my Hamilton Beach blender for Smoothies, etc. I would also like to be able to crush ice but don't want to spend that much on a blender when I already have one. I wonder if buying an ice shaver would be a good idea for me...
Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Cook

Thanks all. From all I've read I think I will go with the Breville Hemipsphere. Still expensive but half the price of Vitamix and according to Cooks Illustrated and Consumer Reports almost as good. Apparently it can do frozen margaritas well while some of the other blenders supposedly can't handle the ice. In Florida we need our frozen margaritas!! If anyone has a Breville and is not happy, please let me know.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I'm ok with my Hamilton Beach blender for Smoothies, etc. I would also like to be able to crush ice but don't want to spend that much on a blender when I already have one. I wonder if buying an ice shaver would be a good idea for me...
I don't know what you have for thrift stores, but electric ice crushers are pretty common fare here. Very inexpensive.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks

I don't know what you have for thrift stores, but electric ice crushers are pretty common fare here. Very inexpensive.
Good idea. I will check the thrift stores. People get tired of their kitchen gadgets and donate them. I should probably get tired of some of my gadgets-no I think not!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Vitamix's are amazing. I finally bought one a few years ago after burning through several cheap ones in just a few months. They come with a full 7 year warranty, although mine's been great so far. I use it for everything and it handles ice, greens, whole fruits, and everything else beautifully.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have had Vita Mix 4000 blenders for years.......they are the bomb!

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote