"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to C-Mart
Question Waffler Help!

Hey everyone,

My GF runs an event planning business and we are doing a brunch on Sunday. The hostess decided that she wants waffles and so we have to get a waffler. Our choices are the following:

Cuisinart - 7" traditional circle - $30
Waring Pro - 7" Belgian circle - $70
Krups - 4-slice Belgian rectangle - $40

My thoughts are to go with the Waring Pro, even though it is more expensive, because it looks like a professional item where the Cuisinart and Krups are more for home use and look the part. I suggested that we could split the Belgians into the 4 quarters and that it would be fine - she thinks the guests will think we are trying to skimp on the food. She has purchased all 3 and I guess we'll try them all, but I thought that I would ask for some opinions. Thanks!

Oh yeah, regardless of which one we go with, she wants to buy 2. Do you think this will be enough to deal with 50-70 guests? (We are planning on prepping a healthy portion of waffles before the party starts)

-Chad

Old 10-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Executive Chef

2 are enough if the amount of time is long enough... the waring pro is my choice of the three btw

Old 10-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Go with the waring pro. 1/4 waffles are fine. I've found that most guests will be happy to take a quarter, and mayhaps even some will take two halves, but you'll hardly find any taking a whole waffle. Most people just want a taste of everything, rather than full plates of one item.

I've tried prepping waffles before events, as well. Unless you have a place to recrisp them, rethink this. You'll have soggy waffles that won't be as satisfying. Besides, if you have two going at once, you will always be removing one and quartering it as the other one cooks.

I do a waffle bar each morning at work....and always serve blueberry compote, strawberries in syrup, whipped cream, cinnamon sugar, honey and maple syrup.

Good luck with the party.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Go to Costco and get the flip waffle maker of whatever variety it is.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Go with the krups i would get two
Old 10-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I think I would also go with the Krups.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:12 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Well, we found a 4th option. We went to look at the Waring Pro - after my GF bought both the Cuisinart and Krups models, and we found another one - a Villaware belgian waffle maker with extra plates for either grilling or griddle. This one was $70, so $10 cheaper than the Waring. We found that the Waring just wasn't what we thought. The bad part is, when we fired up the Villa, we found the back of the plates (near the hinge) is a massive cold spot! We didn't open the 2nd one yet, but we'll see if it has the same problem. Also the tops of the waffles were not quite as good as the bottoms, a problem which I am sure the flip-action of the Waring pro would solve. Anyway, we'll see how they work out.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Kig Arthur flour's test kitchens recommend the Waring Pro, and I do not own a waffle maker, but my experience with other electrical kitchen appliances says go with Krups.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Update: After thinking about it, I realized that I liked the uneven baking of the Villaware that we tried out last night - so now I am going to pick up the Waring Pros tonight - luckily I was able to find them at Sam's Club for only $50! The only difference between Sam's & BB&B's Waring Pro is the base - plastic black at Sam's and stainless at BB&B.

Therefore, tonight we will have a total of 9 waffle makers! We bought a really crappy $9 one at Wal-Mart the first night, yesterday we got 2 each of the cheap Cuisinart, the Krups, and the Villaware. Tonight I am getting 2 of the Waring Pros. But all the rest are going back... if not I would have to open an IHoW - International House of Waffles!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Kig Arthur flour's test kitchens recommend the Waring Pro, and I do not own a waffle maker, but my experience with other electrical kitchen appliances says go with Krups.
I read through the reviews on Amazon and they apparently have problems with the handles getting so hot that you need a pot-holder to open them, and a few other things as well. The Waring Pro is the only one - other than the $300 KA - that has primarily positive reviews.