Waffler Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C-Mart

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone,

My GF runs an event planning business and we are doing a brunch on Sunday. The hostess decided that she wants waffles and so we have to get a waffler. Our choices are the following:

Cuisinart - 7" traditional circle - $30
Waring Pro - 7" Belgian circle - $70
Krups - 4-slice Belgian rectangle - $40

My thoughts are to go with the Waring Pro, even though it is more expensive, because it looks like a professional item where the Cuisinart and Krups are more for home use and look the part. I suggested that we could split the Belgians into the 4 quarters and that it would be fine - she thinks the guests will think we are trying to skimp on the food. She has purchased all 3 and I guess we'll try them all, but I thought that I would ask for some opinions. Thanks!

Oh yeah, regardless of which one we go with, she wants to buy 2. Do you think this will be enough to deal with 50-70 guests? (We are planning on prepping a healthy portion of waffles before the party starts)

-Chad

Last edited:
2 are enough if the amount of time is long enough... the waring pro is my choice of the three btw

Go with the waring pro. 1/4 waffles are fine. I've found that most guests will be happy to take a quarter, and mayhaps even some will take two halves, but you'll hardly find any taking a whole waffle. Most people just want a taste of everything, rather than full plates of one item.

I've tried prepping waffles before events, as well. Unless you have a place to recrisp them, rethink this. You'll have soggy waffles that won't be as satisfying. Besides, if you have two going at once, you will always be removing one and quartering it as the other one cooks.

I do a waffle bar each morning at work....and always serve blueberry compote, strawberries in syrup, whipped cream, cinnamon sugar, honey and maple syrup.

Good luck with the party.

Well, we found a 4th option. We went to look at the Waring Pro - after my GF bought both the Cuisinart and Krups models, and we found another one - a Villaware belgian waffle maker with extra plates for either grilling or griddle. This one was $70, so $10 cheaper than the Waring. We found that the Waring just wasn't what we thought. The bad part is, when we fired up the Villa, we found the back of the plates (near the hinge) is a massive cold spot! We didn't open the 2nd one yet, but we'll see if it has the same problem. Also the tops of the waffles were not quite as good as the bottoms, a problem which I am sure the flip-action of the Waring pro would solve. Anyway, we'll see how they work out.

Kig Arthur flour's test kitchens recommend the Waring Pro, and I do not own a waffle maker, but my experience with other electrical kitchen appliances says go with Krups.

Update: After thinking about it, I realized that I liked the uneven baking of the Villaware that we tried out last night - so now I am going to pick up the Waring Pros tonight - luckily I was able to find them at Sam's Club for only $50! The only difference between Sam's & BB&B's Waring Pro is the base - plastic black at Sam's and stainless at BB&B.

Therefore, tonight we will have a total of 9 waffle makers! We bought a really crappy $9 one at Wal-Mart the first night, yesterday we got 2 each of the cheap Cuisinart, the Krups, and the Villaware. Tonight I am getting 2 of the Waring Pros. But all the rest are going back... if not I would have to open an IHoW - International House of Waffles!!!

Caine said:
Kig Arthur flour's test kitchens recommend the Waring Pro, and I do not own a waffle maker, but my experience with other electrical kitchen appliances says go with Krups.

I read through the reviews on Amazon and they apparently have problems with the handles getting so hot that you need a pot-holder to open them, and a few other things as well. The Waring Pro is the only one - other than the $300 KA - that has primarily positive reviews.

Further Update: Picked up the Waring Pro Waffle Makers last night and tried one out... Wow, its amazing! I've never had a waffle maker work this well. I let it heat up, spray it with cooking spray, put the batter in, close it, rotate it, wait for about 2 minutes until it beeps 3 times, rotate it back, open it, and vioala! virtually perfect every time!!! We'll see how they perform under pressure - or rather how I perform under pressure - this weekend at the brunch.

Andy M. said:
Could someone please explain to me why the flipping yields more even cooking?

This is my understanding, based on experience - just in the last 2 days. With the non-flipper, you pour the batter in and it starts to cook on the bottom before the top gets closed, so the bottom gets more done than the top. Additionally, if you don't put in enough batter, then the waffle doesn't rise enough to fill in the top grid. With the flipper you still pour into the bottom, so the bottom does get a little more done than the top, but when you flip it, the batter will flow into the top grid and fill it out better.

I can only see the necessity of it with belgian waffles, as traditionall waffles don't have the deep grid that the belgians do.

I have a Krups Waffler and I love it so because it is coated with teflon and so easy to clean.

Check the prices at the various stores and I definitely agree with Gretchen about going to Costo if there is one near to you. Their prices are the best and they usually have a large assortment.

I own the Hamilton Beach Stix Waffle Maker.

It produces great tasting waffles that can be broken to look like wavy sticks.

~Corey123.

I understand that the flip waffler
is better for Belgian waffles. for
plain ole regular waffles how did the round cusinart do and which one would you say is best ? I have the cusinart and I am thinking of getting another for when we have guest. The one I have is probably almost 10 years old.

I gave my dad a regular cuisinart waffle maker a couple of Christmases ago, and though I have never experienced its bounty, he says that it works great.

The Waring Pro waffle makers worked like champs at the house-warming party this weekend! I couldn't be happier with how they worked, and now I have my own great belgian waffle maker for future use - way future, cause I'me sick of waffles at the moment! ;)

I don't really care for Cuisinart these days.

Conair makes their products now, and they just aren't the way they used to be. It was better when they, themselves, made them. I now call them Crapinart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom