"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
Head Chef

My old 1960's vintage ice cream freezer has a hand crank.

That was 1/2 the fun of making ice cream.

It also has it own freezing capability. It's called ice & rock salt.

Not I've got to go find that thing. This thread has me wanting ice cream.

Water melons should be hitting the stands soon. Might have to give them a try.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Thank you Mad Cook.

That shows that I'm not the only crazy person in the world.

If Pac brings the bacon that I've been waiting for at the Post Office to make the ice cream I'll pay for your ticket to taste it at the party.

Stormy,
$68.00 would be above my price range for an ice cream machine too. You got a great deal and I hope you have a wonderful time with it.

Water Melons will be ripe here soon. I can see that as a tasty treat also. Go for the gusto and remember that the sky and imagination are the limit.

Please remember to invite us to the "Ice Cream Party."
We need a "boil." I will bring the lobsters. Enough for everyone.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thank you Mad Cook.

That shows that I'm not the only crazy person in the world.

If Pac brings the bacon that I've been waiting for at the Post Office to make the ice cream I'll pay for your ticket to taste it at the party.

Stormy,
$68.00 would be above my price range for an ice cream machine too. You got a great deal and I hope you have a wonderful time with it.

Water Melons will be ripe here soon. I can see that as a tasty treat also. Go for the gusto and remember that the sky and imagination are the limit.

Please remember to invite us to the "Ice Cream Party."
Very kind, Zagut, but I feel bacon ice cream is something I could probably do with out for the time being
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Yes the Donvier has an inner metal liner that you freeze, then add your ice cream base to and then turn the crank slowly. The base freezes to the sides and bottom of the maker which are effectively scraped off with the plastic paddles. From what I remember it made a very soft ice cream but...better than nothing!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Is this a hand cranked model? I Googled it and saw the handle sticking out the top.

I have always been interested in the type of ice cream maker seen on the professional TV shows.
The one that has its own freezing capability. I bet that kind is very expensive.
Sorta. You mix up your base and then pour it into the pre-frozen inner tub. Then you crank once. Wait, then crank again one rotation and wait, etc. The initial ice cream is soft, but it will freeze up and be delicious. I bought mine many years ago and it still works great.

The old kind where you crank and crank brings back great memories. I use to crank and my sister would poke away ice and salt from the drain. Peach ice cream reminded me of summer time. It was the only time we had it.

~Kathleen
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #16
Head Chef

Stormy,

Thank you for bringing up making ice cream.

You've caused me to get off my butt and dig up a relic.

I found the old freezer and the memories it holds.

Now it's time for some of that bacon ice cream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (2).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	21543  
Old 07-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyNight View Post
Yes the Donvier has an inner metal liner that you freeze, then add your ice cream base to and then turn the crank slowly. The base freezes to the sides and bottom of the maker which are effectively scraped off with the plastic paddles. From what I remember it made a very soft ice cream but...better than nothing!
Sounds better than getting all sweaty making ice cream.
Peach is very popular here in the south. In fact, every single time i have witnessed ice cream being made was peach. Very tasty.
But they don't use method I see chefs use. They use no heat (stove) to make the base. All the ingredients put in the Ice cream machine, turned on until the sound changes.
They also serve it on the spot. No freezing first! I would want to make it, freeze it, then serve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Sorta. You mix up your base and then pour it into the pre-frozen inner tub. Then you crank once. Wait, then crank again one rotation and wait, etc. The initial ice cream is soft, but it will freeze up and be delicious. I bought mine many years ago and it still works great.

The old kind where you crank and crank brings back great memories. I use to crank and my sister would poke away ice and salt from the drain. Peach ice cream reminded me of summer time. It was the only time we had it.

~Kathleen
Thanks. I see its not as hard as it seemed. I have never owned an ice cream maker.
But if I ever buy one, it will be completely automatic.
You see, I will not miss what many of you remember as far as making ice cream. When I make it, it will be my first time.

I also will freeze the resulting soft serve.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Sounds better than getting all sweaty making ice cream.
Peach is very popular here in the south. In fact, every single time i have witnessed ice cream being made was peach. Very tasty.
But they don't use method I see chefs use. They use no heat (stove) to make the base. All the ingredients put in the Ice cream machine, turned on until the sound changes.
They also serve it on the spot. No freezing first! I would want to make it, freeze it, then serve it.

Thanks. I see its not as hard as it seemed. I have never owned an ice cream maker.
But if I ever buy one, it will be completely automatic.
You see, I will not miss what many of you remember as far as making ice cream. When I make it, it will be my first time.

I also will freeze the resulting soft serve.
I have one (well, umm, 2, actually) of the inexpensive, electric kind where you freeze the container, put the mix in it and the paddle works by electricity. The ice cream is very soft but that's good because you can fold in nuts or dried fruit soaked in rum or brandy or you can swirl in raspberry coulis or chocolate and make ripple ice cream and then finish in the freezer. No problems with this as I always make it a day or two in advance of the party, anyway. One job less and people think you are terribly clever - or they did until any old chef makes it on television.

Have you tried Caleonian ice cream? It's made with toasted pinhead oatmeal which sounds a bit unpromising but is very good. Delia Smith is credited with finding the recipe at a restaurant in Glasgow and putting it in her "Summer Collection" in 2003. In fact, I've been making it since the early 1980s from a recipe in Jane Grigson's "Good Things". Unlike Delia, JG spices the Caledonian ice cream with a shot of scotch whisky
Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thank you Mad Cook.

Ooooooh, watermelon sorbet would be so good. Can you make sorbet in a standard ice cream maker?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Try roasting or grilling the peaches first. BTW, I do cook a custard for my ice cream. Lots of people just dump the eggs in, but I find it is much better cooked.