"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Was buying a breadmaker a good idea?

I just bought a breadmaker on line. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm apprehensive. I don't know jack about breadmakers! Do you have to use prepared mixes to make the bread, or are there recipes out there? Do you have any advice or stories that can help me out?

Old 09-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Don't be apprehensive. A bread machine is a lot easier than making bread without one.

A bread machine is a great way to simplify the bread making process. Your new machine will come with recipes you create from scratch ingredients. Also, there are many recipes online and in cookbooks.

You can also use the machine to mix, need and proof the dough then bake it freeform or in a different pan.

And, if you have hand or arm problems that would make kneading bread dough difficult or impossible, the machine makes it possible for you to still make bread.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

+1 to everything Andy said. I've made dough for sandwich bread, cinnamon-raisin bread, yeast rolls and garlic bread sticks in the bread machine and then baked them in the oven. It's a nice time saver and convenience for making many kinds of bread. It will come with instructions and a recipe booklet and you can find many more recipes online.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I just bought a breadmaker on line. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm apprehensive. I don't know jack about breadmakers! Do you have to use prepared mixes to make the bread, or are there recipes out there? Do you have any advice or stories that can help me out?
Get one or two of the many bread machine cookbooks that are available and go for it! There is no need to buy expensive mixes. The best thing about automatic bread machines is that you don't need to know anything about it. They do 95% of the work.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Master Chef

NO! Well, it's fine idea, but you need willpower to make sure you don't expand like a ball of rising dough.

All the advise is spot-on, Joel, but I want to repeat what Andy said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...You can also use the machine to mix, need and proof the dough then bake it freeform or in a different pan...
We never enjoyed the dense, blocky, small excuse-for-a-loaf-of-bread that my old, basic Regal machine turned out. Learning that I could use the "dough" setting, then proceed with baking a real loaf of bread, completely changed the game for me.

King Arthur Flour has a number of recipes to make with a bread machine. I've also found helpful information on the blog "Bread Machine Diva", although I haven't used any of her recipes...yet.

One final tip: if you like butter on your bread, get the good stuff like Kerrygold, Finlandia, or from a local dairy. Your taste buds will thank you.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I can jump in on the bread machine discussion with tons of experience/advice.

I bought my first bread machine at a Black Friday sale in 1999. I still have it and use it regularly since I make all our bread products. However, it has only made bread the the "bread machine way" about 3 times in all those years.

Those few times cured me of the boxy loaf with a deep belly button in it's center. I decided that the bread machine was my best friend when it came to kneading the dough and providing the first rise. No fuss, no muss, no bother. The machine could do the heavy lifting while I was able to spend my time doing something else. Win, win here.

I learned that all my regular bread recipes could easily be made in the bread machine. The plus, I discovered, is that my recipe for 2 loaves of standard loaf bread could be done in the bread machine on the DOUGH cycle. Again, the machine did all the kneading and first rise. Once done here, I simply shape my loaves, put into pans and set for final rise. This way I get two loaves instead of one.

A few years ago, a friend of mine tasked me with baking baguettes for a fundraiser for the university at which he is a professor. In the end, I made
over 100 loaves in 10 days. Without my bread machine this would've been impossible.

I have never come across any bread product recipe that can't be relatively easily adapted to a bread machine. Most often all the kneading and the first rise can be done in a bread machine. The remaining part of the recipe done by hand.

Additional information...over the last several years I have developed severe arthritis in both my hands. Without my trusty bread machine(s) I could NOT make bread of any kind.

If you noticed, I said machines in my last sentence. That's because I have two bread machines and, often, use them simultaneously. The baguette escapade was one such time.

They often get pressed into service during the holidays and times when I want to stock up on several types of bread.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Use prepared mixes at first, just to keep it simple. It may take you a couple of tries to do that even, to meet expectations.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:12 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never used a pre-made mix in my bread machine. It's not necessary at all. Flour, yeast, water and salt are all you need to start with.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Master Chef

I love my bread machine. As the the matter of fact I love it so much, I don't ever touch it.
It's been sitting in garage for the last 15 years.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Head Chef

Question from the peanut gallery - If you are using the bread machine just to knead the dough, are there any benefits over a stand mixer?

Tags
bread