"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,697
This took a lot of thinking, because my appliances are all pretty equal to me. However, my Foodsaver is probably my MVP in the kitchen. I love being able to buy really good meat when I see it, and especially if it is on sale, and vacuum seal it for the freezer, knowing it will be just as good in six months.

My second MVP is not a kitchen appliance, but it is a cooking "appliance." My Weber Kettle grill. I can cook just about anything on it. I have the Gourmet BBQ System grate, which allows me to use a Weber wok, a griddle, a cast-iron grate, and other stuff. I also have a rotisserie kit from a company called Cajun Bandit. I love rotisserie chicken.

CD
__________________

__________________
Everyone has a talent they don't know about, until tequila.
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #22
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 7,470
Hmmm....Casey took the words right outta my mouth. My Weber, although not IN the kitchen, would be my most used 'cooking' appliance. I grill all year 'round here. It is close to the kitchen though...the grill lives on the patio and that's pretty much right off the kitchen.

Hard to say what the runner up would be - I love my Nesco roaster, but it can't make toast or broil - so I would have to say the toaster oven. It's a Cuisinart, getting on up there in age and while not perfect, it still does the job.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:09 AM   #23
Head Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Hmmm....Casey took the words right outta my mouth. My Weber, although not IN the kitchen, would be my most used 'cooking' appliance. I grill all year 'round here. It is close to the kitchen though...the grill lives on the patio and that's pretty much right off the kitchen.

Hard to say what the runner up would be - I love my Nesco roaster, but it can't make toast or broil - so I would have to say the toaster oven. It's a Cuisinart, getting on up there in age and while not perfect, it still does the job.
Check out the Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Kit. https://www.cajunbandit.com/Weber-Ke...Kits-s/110.htm

It costs a little more than the Weber kit, but it is stainless steel. I love mine. The photo below is one of my Puerto Rican roadside chickens in progress.

CD

.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RicoChickCookingTTT.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	27405  
__________________
Everyone has a talent they don't know about, until tequila.
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #24
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Elizabeth City
Posts: 1,064
My first one would have to be our toaster oven - I use it daily right now. My second one is our Ninja Kitchen cooking system - you can slow cook, cook like on a regular stove, bake like in an oven, and it also has a buffet function to keep things warm in.
__________________
Cindi in NC
Just a crazy T-2 blonde!
Take life one day at a time - and what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. ( Unknown/Kelly Clarkson)
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
My first one would have to be our toaster oven - I use it daily right now. My second one is our Ninja Kitchen cooking system - you can slow cook, cook like on a regular stove, bake like in an oven, and it also has a buffet function to keep things warm in.
I have one of those Ninja cookers and it's great!
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #26
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,068
I just bought an Anova Sous Vide cooker a few weeks ago. I was skeptical at first, but it really is my new favorite appliance. Some of my first steak attempts were less than spectacular, but I made made a pork roast last week that's convinced me of the value of this tool. It turned an inexpensive cut of pork loin into something succulent and tasty enough to even eat cold.

There are a lot of ties for second place. I have a WiFi coffee maker I like quite a bit. And my immersion blender and food processor rank right up there, too.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #27
Senior Cook
 
Rparrny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
This took a lot of thinking, because my appliances are all pretty equal to me. However, my Foodsaver is probably my MVP in the kitchen. I love being able to buy really good meat when I see it, and especially if it is on sale, and vacuum seal it for the freezer, knowing it will be just as good in six months.

My second MVP is not a kitchen appliance, but it is a cooking "appliance." My Weber Kettle grill. I can cook just about anything on it. I have the Gourmet BBQ System grate, which allows me to use a Weber wok, a griddle, a cast-iron grate, and other stuff. I also have a rotisserie kit from a company called Cajun Bandit. I love rotisserie chicken.

CD


I agree with both and own both. My daughter has the gas grill with the removable grate and she loves it. I didn't know it was available in the kettle.
__________________
"If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried" - Steven Wright
Rparrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,655
I live in a studio apartment so space is a factor. The second is my right hand. I have nodules growing on all the finger joints. And a big one on my wrist.

I had a Robot Coupe food processor. It was just too heavy for me to even slide it across the counter top. So I had to give it to my son Spike. He uses it all the time. Along with all the different attachments and blades. I also gave him my knife from Japan that was just too big for me to handle. Along with my electric slicer.

So I have to really think about this one. I guess I would have to say my little hand held mandolin. I like my onions sliced real thin. And this does the job for me. I use it to slice everything. I also have a tomato slicer. I can never slice foods evenly. One big tomato and I can get six to eight perfect slices. I also have a really sharp veggie peeler. It gives me thin skin off a tomato to make roses. My old one I had for about 20 years. And it became so thin from wear and tear. The blade finally broke when I was peeling a tomato. The new one is 100 times sharper than my broken one. It is the little implements that make my work in the kitchen much easier.

Like most of the folks here, I cook all my foods from scratch, just like my mother did. And she cooked on a wood burning stove. To this day, I can still tell the temp of the oven just by putting my hand in it. Thanks to my mother.

At the end of August, my rheumatoid doctor is going to remove some of the nodules on my fingers so I can at least hold a fork without pain. Then I can honestly say, my favorite kitchen took will be my working fingers.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #29
Senior Cook
 
Rparrny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
They're little mini tongs. Here's a pic, along with the jar I keep them in (just because it's pretty ). It was handmade at the Glass House in Colonial Williamsburg by historical reenactors.
Attachment 27403
Those look perfect...I'll have to see if I can find me some.
__________________
"If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried" - Steven Wright
Rparrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #30
Senior Cook
 
Rparrny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I live in a studio apartment so space is a factor. The second is my right hand. I have nodules growing on all the finger joints. And a big one on my wrist.

I had a Robot Coupe food processor. It was just too heavy for me to even slide it across the counter top. So I had to give it to my son Spike. He uses it all the time. Along with all the different attachments and blades. I also gave him my knife from Japan that was just too big for me to handle. Along with my electric slicer.

So I have to really think about this one. I guess I would have to say my little hand held mandolin. I like my onions sliced real thin. And this does the job for me. I use it to slice everything. I also have a tomato slicer. I can never slice foods evenly. One big tomato and I can get six to eight perfect slices. I also have a really sharp veggie peeler. It gives me thin skin off a tomato to make roses. My old one I had for about 20 years. And it became so thin from wear and tear. The blade finally broke when I was peeling a tomato. The new one is 100 times sharper than my broken one. It is the little implements that make my work in the kitchen much easier.

Like most of the folks here, I cook all my foods from scratch, just like my mother did. And she cooked on a wood burning stove. To this day, I can still tell the temp of the oven just by putting my hand in it. Thanks to my mother.

At the end of August, my rheumatoid doctor is going to remove some of the nodules on my fingers so I can at least hold a fork without pain. Then I can honestly say, my favorite kitchen took will be my working fingers.
I tried mandolins for years and couldn't find one that I thought was any good...and I spent up to $200 on one of the ones I hated. Then I got a cheap looking unit from Amazon...All plastic except for the blades that they must have spent all the money on. I could slice a tomato so thin you could read through it. Had it for 15 years and then threw it out thinking the company had updated the design...they didn't and I threw out a perfectly good mandolin...it never dulled after 15 years.
Last year I happened to come across the company's updated model which I bought right away and love. Easier to store...blade can now be retracted and is not a hazard if you reach into the storage draw...the width is more versatile and it's easier to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________

__________________
"If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried" - Steven Wright
Rparrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
appliances, kitchen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.