"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Julia Child had a wooden stick for pulling out the oven rack when it is hot. We went to a craft fair and my sister spied one like hers. She bought me one with my name engraved on it with a wood burning tool. It was a nice long one. I had it for years until it finally wore out. I still wish I had one.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #32
Head Chef

I live in a very small apartment without a proper kitchen. No stove top, no oven.

I have lots of small appliances, though most are rarely used. The two workhorses are a Black and Decker 4 slice toaster oven and duxTop portable induction cooktop.

Sometimes I use a second burner, rice cooker, crockpot, turkey roaster, etc. but most of the time, all I need is the first two. A 6" cast iron skillet is very handy for cornbreads or meats where you sear one side and finish under a broiler because it will get screaming hot on the burner and then still fit into the toaster oven. An 8" square casserole dish fits too. And it will blister the skin off a pepper.

This wouldn't work if you are cooking for a family or even two people on a regular basis but, cooking for one; I don't feel at all deprived.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Even though I love my Delonghi toaster oven, which is also a dehydrator, it's not one of my two favourite. My #1 favourite is my Mokita espresso machine. We use it every single day. I'm drinking a decaf, ice café au lait right now. My #2 favourite is my Cuisnart immersion blender with a whisk attachment and a mini food processor. Very, very handy.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparrny View Post
I tried mandolins for years and couldn't find one that I thought was any good...and I spent up to $200 on one of the ones I hated. Then I got a cheap looking unit from Amazon...All plastic except for the blades that they must have spent all the money on. I could slice a tomato so thin you could read through it. Had it for 15 years and then threw it out thinking the company had updated the design...they didn't and I threw out a perfectly good mandolin...it never dulled after 15 years.
Last year I happened to come across the company's updated model which I bought right away and love. Easier to store...blade can now be retracted and is not a hazard if you reach into the storage draw...the width is more versatile and it's easier to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm lucky. I have that model of mandolin and it's the first one I have owned. It was recommended by someone here on DC. I'm happy with it.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
This took a lot of thinking, because my appliances are all pretty equal to me. However, my Foodsaver is probably my MVP in the kitchen. I love being able to buy really good meat when I see it, and especially if it is on sale, and vacuum seal it for the freezer, knowing it will be just as good in six months.

My second MVP is not a kitchen appliance, but it is a cooking "appliance." My Weber Kettle grill. I can cook just about anything on it. I have the Gourmet BBQ System grate, which allows me to use a Weber wok, a griddle, a cast-iron grate, and other stuff. I also have a rotisserie kit from a company called Cajun Bandit. I love rotisserie chicken.

CD
Gotta love my outdoor cookers and attachments. I have both a rotisserie and kettlepizza kit for the Weber. Of course the Egg and Horizon are our "slow cookers". The Egg also does a great job at "hot and fast" and will do a good job as a pizza/bread oven, among other things. Coming in a close second are the "jet cookers" for crawfish boils and crab steaming and I recently discovered using one for wok cooking. These are the only gas cookers I have.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Difficult question. Nothing would be in my kitchen if it was not a favorite !

1 ) My Bosch Stand Up Mixer ..

2) The Thermo-mix .. By: Thermo-mix ..

3) The new Pasta Machine ..
Old 07-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have one of those Ninja cookers and it's great!
I'm using mine today to make some Hamburger Casserole.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
I'm using mine today to make some Hamburger Casserole.
It's become my Thanksgiving stuffing cooker. I do all of my sauteing in it then bake the stuffing in it. The top gets decently cooked but the best part is all of the browned bits on the bottom and sides! It frees up a bit of space in my oven.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
It's become my Thanksgiving stuffing cooker. I do all of my sauteing in it then bake the stuffing in it. The top gets decently cooked but the best part is all of the browned bits on the bottom and sides! It frees up a bit of space in my oven.
I love Thanksgiving and stuffing is my favorite. The problem occurs with the preferences of my crowd and some years is gets up to 20. Some family like plain savory stuffing, Some like fruit in theirs, some like cornbread...gets a bit crazy.
Then my sister found a recipe using cornbread stuffing, sweet potatoes and carrots among other things but that was the majority. It baked in muffin tins which was not only great for portion control it made for nicer leftovers. I used homemade turkey stock instead of chicken. Everyone loved it which surprised us both but it has been a staple ever since.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

My two fav, since I assume an oven, cook top and dishwasher are a given, are my stick blender and my sous vide immersion tank.

BlackBird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appliances, kitchen