"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #41
Senior Cook
 
Rparrny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBird View Post
My two fav, since I assume an oven, cook top and dishwasher are a given, are my stick blender and my sous vide immersion tank.
I love my immersion blenders too (I have one for meat, one for dairy) and I find I use it constantly.
__________________

__________________
"If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried" - Steven Wright
Rparrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #42
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparrny View Post
I tried mandolins for years and couldn't find one that I thought was any good...and I spent up to $200 on one of the ones I hated. Then I got a cheap looking unit from Amazon...All plastic except for the blades that they must have spent all the money on. I could slice a tomato so thin you could read through it. Had it for 15 years and then threw it out thinking the company had updated the design...they didn't and I threw out a perfectly good mandolin...it never dulled after 15 years.
Last year I happened to come across the company's updated model which I bought right away and love. Easier to store...blade can now be retracted and is not a hazard if you reach into the storage draw...the width is more versatile and it's easier to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's the same problem I had! I bought a cheap one similar looking to the one on Amazon, loved it so much that I gave it to my future daughter in law and got myself a nice expensive cuisinart one. It wouldn't cut anything. I went back and got another cheapie and have been happy since!
__________________

__________________
"Learning gives creativity, creativity leads to thinking, thinking provides knowledge, knowledge makes you great."
-Abdul Kalam
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #43
Senior Cook
 
Rparrny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
That's the same problem I had! I bought a cheap one similar looking to the one on Amazon, loved it so much that I gave it to my future daughter in law and got myself a nice expensive cuisinart one. It wouldn't cut anything. I went back and got another cheapie and have been happy since!
Yeah...not too many things surprise me but THAT surprised me too.
__________________
"If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried" - Steven Wright
Rparrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #44
Sous Chef
 
gadzooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 850
Immersion blender. I frequently cook breakfast for 15-25 people, and eggs...and my plastic mandoline. Like others, I have tried some very pricey and fine mandolines, but found a "Genius" plastic job in a thrift store. I thought $12 was a bit high, but went for it. The best. I have been able to find them in ebay occasionally, and bought a second one for home.
__________________
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #45
Senior Cook
 
Rparrny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Immersion blender. I frequently cook breakfast for 15-25 people, and eggs...and my plastic mandoline. Like others, I have tried some very pricey and fine mandolines, but found a "Genius" plastic job in a thrift store. I thought $12 was a bit high, but went for it. The best. I have been able to find them in ebay occasionally, and bought a second one for home.
I'll bet it's German made...I swear by my Swissmar Borner mandolin. I loved old model but I love this new one even more.
Those Germans know how to make a blade!
__________________
"If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried" - Steven Wright
Rparrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #46
Sous Chef
 
gadzooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 850
"I'll bet it's German made...I swear by my Swissmar Borner mandolin. I loved old model but I love this new one even more.
Those Germans know how to make a blade!"

I swore by those Boerner V Slicers for years. Like this one better. Two thicknesses of julienne and extremely adjustable thickness for slicing, and all one piece. No separate plates or blades. Stores with the blade covered. Even has a spring-loaded box for slicing things like a handful of olives. Genius Speed Slicer.
__________________
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:14 PM   #47
Head Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,579
I cringe anytime I hear or read the word, "mandolin."

I bought my first one about 20 years ago. Used it once, and cut off a fingertip. That finger healed by itself. I sold the mandolin in a garage sale.

About two or three years ago, I bought a really good one on sale at Williams-Sanoma. Used it once, cut off a fingertip. It was still bleeding the next morning, so I had to get it cauterised. I destroyed that mandolin with a sledge-hammer, and threw it away.

It only takes me two fingertips to come to the conclusion that I should not have or use a mandolin.

CD
__________________
I'll just flip this omelet, and... I'm having scrambled eggs.
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I cringe anytime I hear or read the word, "mandolin."

I bought my first one about 20 years ago. Used it once, and cut off a fingertip. That finger healed by itself. I sold the mandolin in a garage sale.

About two or three years ago, I bought a really good one on sale at Williams-Sanoma. Used it once, cut off a fingertip. It was still bleeding the next morning, so I had to get it cauterised. I destroyed that mandolin with a sledge-hammer, and threw it away.

It only takes me two fingertips to come to the conclusion that I should not have or use a mandolin.

CD
Ye olde fingertip protection
Click image for larger version

Name:	51f-yWYiYAL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	27465
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #49
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 262
The two I use the most are Kitchen Aid Mixer and a rice cooker.
__________________
Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,589
Of all the stuff I have in my kitchen, I prefer just using my own "Two Hands!" They work great when you want to mix a large bowl of potato salad, dough, and so many other foods.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
appliances, kitchen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.