What are your two favorite kitchen appliances?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This took a lot of thinking, because my appliances are all pretty equal to me. However, my Foodsaver is probably my MVP in the kitchen. I love being able to buy really good meat when I see it, and especially if it is on sale, and vacuum seal it for the freezer, knowing it will be just as good in six months.

My second MVP is not a kitchen appliance, but it is a cooking "appliance." My Weber Kettle grill. I can cook just about anything on it. I have the Gourmet BBQ System grate, which allows me to use a Weber wok, a griddle, a cast-iron grate, and other stuff. I also have a rotisserie kit from a company called Cajun Bandit. I love rotisserie chicken.

CD

Hmmm....Casey took the words right outta my mouth. :) My Weber, although not IN the kitchen, would be my most used 'cooking' appliance. I grill all year 'round here. It is close to the kitchen though...the grill lives on the patio and that's pretty much right off the kitchen. ;)

Hard to say what the runner up would be - I love my Nesco roaster, but it can't make toast or broil - so I would have to say the toaster oven. It's a Cuisinart, getting on up there in age and while not perfect, it still does the job.

Last edited:
Hmmm....Casey took the words right outta my mouth. :) My Weber, although not IN the kitchen, would be my most used 'cooking' appliance. I grill all year 'round here. It is close to the kitchen though...the grill lives on the patio and that's pretty much right off the kitchen. ;)

Hard to say what the runner up would be - I love my Nesco roaster, but it can't make toast or broil - so I would have to say the toaster oven. It's a Cuisinart, getting on up there in age and while not perfect, it still does the job.

Check out the Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Kit. https://www.cajunbandit.com/Weber-Kettle-22-5-Rotisserie-Kits-s/110.htm

It costs a little more than the Weber kit, but it is stainless steel. I love mine. The photo below is one of my Puerto Rican roadside chickens in progress.

CD

Attachments

• RicoChickCookingTTT.jpg
    RicoChickCookingTTT.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
My first one would have to be our toaster oven - I use it daily right now. My second one is our Ninja Kitchen cooking system - you can slow cook, cook like on a regular stove, bake like in an oven, and it also has a buffet function to keep things warm in.

My first one would have to be our toaster oven - I use it daily right now. My second one is our Ninja Kitchen cooking system - you can slow cook, cook like on a regular stove, bake like in an oven, and it also has a buffet function to keep things warm in.

I have one of those Ninja cookers and it's great!

I just bought an Anova Sous Vide cooker a few weeks ago. I was skeptical at first, but it really is my new favorite appliance. Some of my first steak attempts were less than spectacular, but I made made a pork roast last week that's convinced me of the value of this tool. It turned an inexpensive cut of pork loin into something succulent and tasty enough to even eat cold.

There are a lot of ties for second place. I have a WiFi coffee maker I like quite a bit. And my immersion blender and food processor rank right up there, too.

This took a lot of thinking, because my appliances are all pretty equal to me. However, my Foodsaver is probably my MVP in the kitchen. I love being able to buy really good meat when I see it, and especially if it is on sale, and vacuum seal it for the freezer, knowing it will be just as good in six months.

My second MVP is not a kitchen appliance, but it is a cooking "appliance." My Weber Kettle grill. I can cook just about anything on it. I have the Gourmet BBQ System grate, which allows me to use a Weber wok, a griddle, a cast-iron grate, and other stuff. I also have a rotisserie kit from a company called Cajun Bandit. I love rotisserie chicken.

CD

:ohmy:

I agree with both and own both. My daughter has the gas grill with the removable grate and she loves it. I didn't know it was available in the kettle.

I live in a studio apartment so space is a factor. The second is my right hand. I have nodules growing on all the finger joints. And a big one on my wrist.

I had a Robot Coupe food processor. It was just too heavy for me to even slide it across the counter top. So I had to give it to my son Spike. He uses it all the time. Along with all the different attachments and blades. I also gave him my knife from Japan that was just too big for me to handle. Along with my electric slicer.

So I have to really think about this one. I guess I would have to say my little hand held mandolin. I like my onions sliced real thin. And this does the job for me. I use it to slice everything. I also have a tomato slicer. I can never slice foods evenly. One big tomato and I can get six to eight perfect slices. I also have a really sharp veggie peeler. It gives me thin skin off a tomato to make roses. My old one I had for about 20 years. And it became so thin from wear and tear. The blade finally broke when I was peeling a tomato. The new one is 100 times sharper than my broken one. It is the little implements that make my work in the kitchen much easier.

Like most of the folks here, I cook all my foods from scratch, just like my mother did. And she cooked on a wood burning stove. To this day, I can still tell the temp of the oven just by putting my hand in it. Thanks to my mother.

At the end of August, my rheumatoid doctor is going to remove some of the nodules on my fingers so I can at least hold a fork without pain. Then I can honestly say, my favorite kitchen took will be my working fingers.

I live in a studio apartment so space is a factor. The second is my right hand. I have nodules growing on all the finger joints. And a big one on my wrist.

I had a Robot Coupe food processor. It was just too heavy for me to even slide it across the counter top. So I had to give it to my son Spike. He uses it all the time. Along with all the different attachments and blades. I also gave him my knife from Japan that was just too big for me to handle. Along with my electric slicer.

So I have to really think about this one. I guess I would have to say my little hand held mandolin. I like my onions sliced real thin. And this does the job for me. I use it to slice everything. I also have a tomato slicer. I can never slice foods evenly. One big tomato and I can get six to eight perfect slices. I also have a really sharp veggie peeler. It gives me thin skin off a tomato to make roses. My old one I had for about 20 years. And it became so thin from wear and tear. The blade finally broke when I was peeling a tomato. The new one is 100 times sharper than my broken one. It is the little implements that make my work in the kitchen much easier.

Like most of the folks here, I cook all my foods from scratch, just like my mother did. And she cooked on a wood burning stove. To this day, I can still tell the temp of the oven just by putting my hand in it. Thanks to my mother.

At the end of August, my rheumatoid doctor is going to remove some of the nodules on my fingers so I can at least hold a fork without pain. Then I can honestly say, my favorite kitchen took will be my working fingers.

I tried mandolins for years and couldn't find one that I thought was any good...and I spent up to $200 on one of the ones I hated. Then I got a cheap looking unit from Amazon...All plastic except for the blades that they must have spent all the money on. I could slice a tomato so thin you could read through it. Had it for 15 years and then threw it out thinking the company had updated the design...they didn't and I threw out a perfectly good mandolin...it never dulled after 15 years.
Last year I happened to come across the company's updated model which I bought right away and love. Easier to store...blade can now be retracted and is not a hazard if you reach into the storage draw...the width is more versatile and it's easier to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CN6Q1Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Julia Child had a wooden stick for pulling out the oven rack when it is hot. We went to a craft fair and my sister spied one like hers. She bought me one with my name engraved on it with a wood burning tool. It was a nice long one. I had it for years until it finally wore out. I still wish I had one.

I live in a very small apartment without a proper kitchen. No stove top, no oven.

I have lots of small appliances, though most are rarely used. The two workhorses are a Black and Decker 4 slice toaster oven and duxTop portable induction cooktop.

Sometimes I use a second burner, rice cooker, crockpot, turkey roaster, etc. but most of the time, all I need is the first two. A 6" cast iron skillet is very handy for cornbreads or meats where you sear one side and finish under a broiler because it will get screaming hot on the burner and then still fit into the toaster oven. An 8" square casserole dish fits too. And it will blister the skin off a pepper.

This wouldn't work if you are cooking for a family or even two people on a regular basis but, cooking for one; I don't feel at all deprived.

Even though I love my Delonghi toaster oven, which is also a dehydrator, it's not one of my two favourite. My #1 favourite is my Mokita espresso machine. We use it every single day. I'm drinking a decaf, ice café au lait right now. My #2 favourite is my Cuisnart immersion blender with a whisk attachment and a mini food processor. Very, very handy.

I tried mandolins for years and couldn't find one that I thought was any good...and I spent up to $200 on one of the ones I hated. Then I got a cheap looking unit from Amazon...All plastic except for the blades that they must have spent all the money on. I could slice a tomato so thin you could read through it. Had it for 15 years and then threw it out thinking the company had updated the design...they didn't and I threw out a perfectly good mandolin...it never dulled after 15 years.
Last year I happened to come across the company's updated model which I bought right away and love. Easier to store...blade can now be retracted and is not a hazard if you reach into the storage draw...the width is more versatile and it's easier to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CN6Q1Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm lucky. I have that model of mandolin and it's the first one I have owned. It was recommended by someone here on DC. I'm happy with it.

CD

Gotta love my outdoor cookers and attachments. I have both a rotisserie and kettlepizza kit for the Weber. Of course the Egg and Horizon are our "slow cookers". The Egg also does a great job at "hot and fast" and will do a good job as a pizza/bread oven, among other things. Coming in a close second are the "jet cookers" for crawfish boils and crab steaming and I recently discovered using one for wok cooking. These are the only gas cookers I have.

Difficult question. Nothing would be in my kitchen if it was not a favorite !

1 ) My Bosch Stand Up Mixer ..

2) The Thermo-mix .. By: Thermo-mix ..

3) The new Pasta Machine ..

I'm using mine today to make some Hamburger Casserole.

It's become my Thanksgiving stuffing cooker. I do all of my sauteing in it then bake the stuffing in it. The top gets decently cooked but the best part is all of the browned bits on the bottom and sides! It frees up a bit of space in my oven.

It's become my Thanksgiving stuffing cooker. I do all of my sauteing in it then bake the stuffing in it. The top gets decently cooked but the best part is all of the browned bits on the bottom and sides! It frees up a bit of space in my oven.

I love Thanksgiving and stuffing is my favorite. The problem occurs with the preferences of my crowd and some years is gets up to 20. Some family like plain savory stuffing, Some like fruit in theirs, some like cornbread...gets a bit crazy.
Then my sister found a recipe using cornbread stuffing, sweet potatoes and carrots among other things but that was the majority. It baked in muffin tins which was not only great for portion control it made for nicer leftovers. I used homemade turkey stock instead of chicken. Everyone loved it which surprised us both but it has been a staple ever since.

My two fav, since I assume an oven, cook top and dishwasher are a given, are my stick blender and my sous vide immersion tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom