What are your two favorite kitchen appliances?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved all the responses to the toaster oven questions thank you. GG (gotgarlic) was the only one to answer the toast question, thank you...and btw, what is UP with that? We usually buy a toaster oven to replace our toaster with something that has more versatility...but I have yet to find a toaster oven that makes good toast! Like GG, my KA toasts unevenly...less on the bottom than on top. Shouldn't a toaster oven, first and foremost...make toast?
Princess, you mention the footprint on your toaster...my KA is huge and although I wouldn't mind a smaller unit I could handle a large one if it was worth it.
A dehydrator is a nice function...I have an Excalibur but I could see myself using it for small amounts of things I normally wouldn't bother with.
I see many of you chose the Breville...I will have to check them out. Thanks

I don't make toast in the toaster oven, that's why I did not respond to that part of the question. I tried it once when we first got it, never again. I treat mine as an oven, it's just smaller. It does take up one corner of the counter, blocking off the far corner that I can't reach anyway.

...I have yet to find a toaster oven that makes good toast! Like GG, my KA toasts unevenly...less on the bottom than on top. Shouldn't a toaster oven, first and foremost...make toast?...
My guess about toaster oven toast browning more on top than bottom has something to do with heat rising. In all of the toaster ovens we've had (maybe three? four?), none had given me an even toast. You know what I do? I toast the bread for half the time half-way to brown, then flip and toast again. It doesn't seem like an inconvenience to me since I use the between-sides time to pour tea or coffee, get the spread from the refrigerator, knife from drawer, etc.

I guess I'm not a toast connoisseur. My Cuisinart TO make my bread a gold brown. One side is pretty and the other has white lines on it from sitting on the rack. That side becomes the inside of the sandwich. Very nice.

I guess I'm not a toast connoisseur. My Cuisinart TO make my bread a gold brown. One side is pretty and the other has white lines on it from sitting on the rack...
My toaster worked like that for the first 8 years or so. Now, if I don't flip the toast, it looks like it spent the weekend on a sunny beach on just its back. No "tan lines" on its bottom. :LOL:

And let me make this clear: I'm not a connoisseur. I'm a bit anal retentive. :cool: Just a wee bit of "Monk" in me...

I don't make toast in the toaster oven, that's why I did not respond to that part of the question. I tried it once when we first got it, never again.

I've tried making toast on a few toaster ovens. The top gets toasted nicely while the bottom is undone and barely toasted, except for burn line marks.

My very inexpensive Black & Decker 4 slice oven toasts the top slightly faster than the bottom but both sides are well within my acceptable range.

I'm having fond memories of my grandfather on my dad's side. He was obsessed with toast being done the same on both sides. I remember him pulling toast out of the toaster, and telling me, "Look at this! It's dark on one side and not done on the other."

He didn't have a lot of money to waste, so we bought him toasters for every birthday and Christmas. They all did fine for a while, but he ate toast with breakfast every morning, and they would all start to toast unevenly after a while.

I eat bagels way more than toast, so I know which side my toaster does darker, and it works just right for bagels. Same thing for rolls or bread for sandwiches.

CD

I have a toaster with a bagel setting, only toasts one side. My regular toaster has more settings than my toaster oven.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

First is my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. With a bum wrist, it's the only way I can knead dough anymore. It allows me to make things I especially enjoy making such as bagels, english muffins and other small breads.

Second to the mixer I'd have to say my dishwasher since I'd HATE to wash all my stuff by hand. Also, knowing the DW is there I don't have to think about being careful to not dirty as many dishes and tools because I know they'll go right into the DW and I won't have to worry about them. In addition, it provides a sanitizing cycle so I have some level of comfort knowing my stuff is CLEAN!

I have a toaster with a bagel setting, only toasts one side. My regular toaster has more settings than my toaster oven.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

We gave our toaster oven away and bought a regular toaster with several settings, bagel being one of them. Now we get toast that looks like toast, and when not being used it's easy to store on a shelf in the pantry with several other irregularly used items. It frees up needed counter space for other uses, and I don't really mind using the regular oven (gas) for all of my baking/roasting.

I just want to make mention, although I moved from my Borner V slicer to a Genius Plus V slicer, I kept the Borner Wafer/ Waffle slicer that came with it. A totally cool little tool.

I'm a bit of an appliance addict, so can't decide on my 2 favorites. Here's a few I really enjoy: Breville convection toaster oven, Zojirushi rice cooker, Technivorm Mokkamaster coffeemaker, Vitamix blender, Viking portable induction cooktop (it sits on one of the stove burners under the stove vent, don't forget and turn on the stove!), Breville variable temperature electric water kettle, immersion blender, Anova immersion Sous Vide, and Food Saver vacuum sealer.

Expensive appliances I bought and hardly ever use: Philips Smart Pastamaker, Breville Sous Chef food processor, Kitchen Aide mixer (not much of a baker, I guess), Breville Smart Deep Fryer, and Zojirushi bread maker. I haven't given up on using any of these yet; I just haven't had much time while working so much.

I'm a bit of an appliance addict, so can't decide on my 2 favorites. Here's a few I really enjoy: Breville convection toaster oven, Zojirushi rice cooker, Technivorm Mokkamaster coffeemaker, Vitamix blender, Viking portable induction cooktop (it sits on one of the stove burners under the stove vent, don't forget and turn on the stove!), Breville variable temperature electric water kettle, immersion blender, Anova immersion Sous Vide, and Food Saver vacuum sealer.

Expensive appliances I bought and hardly ever use: Philips Smart Pastamaker, Breville Sous Chef food processor, Kitchen Aide mixer (not much of a baker, I guess), Breville Smart Deep Fryer, and Zojirushi bread maker. I haven't given up on using any of these yet; I just haven't had much time while working so much.

Is there anything left in the appliance store? ;):LOL:

I just bought a Zojirushi bread maker. The small one , because there's only two of us. It hasn't arrived yet, bu I'm very excited to have fresh warm bread!

I love my immersion blender. Making creamy squash soups and smooth tomato sauces can't get any easier, and there's no food processor or blender to clean. It's also essential for making a two minute hollandaise sauce.

And I love my vacuum food sealer. Just because it makes sense!

My two favorite kitchen appliances

My two favorites would have to be our turkey roaster, a Hamilton Beach large roaster, which I use outdoors all summer long so I don't heat up the kitchen. I have baked cakes and pies, made everything from roasts to lasagna, baked potatoes and squash, you name it.

The other new favorite I have recently discovered is the casserole sized crock pot. I want another one!! It's just my husband and I now, so I often make casserole type dishes because he loves things all mixed together. I'm glad he grew up that way because between trying to run my business at home and take care of him in the food department, sometimes throwing everything together is the only way to go. It also has a warming feature so I use it to keep things warm (like buns) while I do other things on the stovetop or in the regular oven. This is a crock pot, so it doesn't start cooking immediately, and things can cook all day long, if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom