What could be making my refrigerator stink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I've had a problem over the last month with a bad smell coming from my fridge..It started a while back and at first I thought it was coming from a big chunk of Provolone I had just brought home..then, after the cheese was gone, the smell persisted..I have had different things in there that could be responsible, like leftovers, loosely wrapped meats, etc. , but I've since purged the fridge and washed it out, wiped the bottles and jars before putting them back in..the smell has gone into the freezer section and is actually on all of the plastic bags, and containers..sour..I will clean it out one more time tomorrow, on my day off, but other than that, I have no idea what to do anymore..

Last edited:
Maybe? I’m at a loss . Going to bleach the hell out if it again tomorrow and purge the freezer again. Darn thing is only three years old. Have had problems with the drawers breaking. My
Partner hates it. But, she chose it...lol..

In my ancient refrigerator, it is usually foul smelling condensation under the crisper tray at the bottom of the refrigerator.

Some of the more modern refrigerators have an air filter that needs to be replaced periodically. YouTube has several videos that show how to change them.

Good luck!

If you have an ice-maker, empty that and clean it. That is not likely to be the source of the smell, but ice cubes can absorb odors and hold onto them for a while after the source is gone.

CD

I started last night and I think I got it..I believe that this was the culprit..an old piece of Pecorino Toscano that was hiding in the back of my cheese drawer..Now that I recount the timeline I think I also bought it with the provolone, which is stronger smelling but, has since been eaten..may have something to do with the sheeps milk going sour? As of this morning, the smell is gone..solved the case..

Rocklobster..Cheese Detective..

Attachments

• pecorino-toscano-800x800.jpg
    pecorino-toscano-800x800.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
If it has all been dismantled and cleaned even removing any drawers and washing under them I would put a bowl of baking soda in there and in the freezer.
Baking soda will absorb smells.

Rocklobster, If you have a Foodsaver, vac pack the cheese from now on with that - smells do not permeate that stuff! I tested it, when I first got a Foodsaver, by crushing some garlic, and sealing it in a small bag. The stuff got bad, and fermented, yet the smell did not permeate the plastic. Plus, cheese stays good for what seems like forever, when I vacuum pack it - never once had any get moldy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom