"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 02-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
Senior Cook
I use my boat motor mixer the most. It is great for potatoes, just put it in the pot and turn it on...

Run_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook
I dropped mine and broke the lock, but I did use it for making purees and sauces, chopping nuts, and mixing butter cookie dough.

marmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Guess another one is in order?

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #14
Head Chef
I use mine for everything where chopping and grating are involved. It makes far better pastry than I can and I even use it for making bread dough, though I only use a pound of flour at a time for bread so as not to overload the motor. One thing it's terrible for is French fries. There is a special disk for this, but unless it comes as standard (with the top range machine) it's not worth getting in my opinion: the fries are slightly curved (as the disk whizzes round through the potato), not very long and rectangular rather than square in section. Other than that, it's great. Watch out for the blades - they're super sharp.
Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Most food processors have a automatic thermal overload switch, a safety features that is supposed to stop the motor if it overheats. Overheating can
occur if the motor stalls under a heavy load, or if a piece of food becomes jammed between the blade or disk.

This saves the abnormal expense of having to replace the motor if it went bad. But nowadays, manufacturers usually replace the entire machine provided it's still under warranty.

In my case where I've had my Cuisinart DLC-7Pro, for almost 20 years, if it every goes bad, I'd just replace it with another Cuisinart.

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote