What do you use your food processor for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
dh bought me a present! A cusineart food processor! I am excited. I think it will be really helpful on cutting prep time down, with these two kids time I have to spare making dinner is limited.
Are there some of you who use these for every meal? What do you like to use it for? And those of you with small children, do you or did you use this for the pureed food phase?
Aidan mostly ate that pureed jar baby food but I am eager to just throw in some strawberries or whatever and puree it up for Callum (when he is old enough). It would be nice not to use the jarred stuff at all.
Any ideas, jokes, and opinions will be appreciated. Thanks all!:chef:

My food processer is probably 30 years old. My ex MIL bought it for me when they first came out. It still runs great, though I've lost the extra discs that went with it.
I use it for all sorts of things:chopping cheese, nuts or fresh herbs, making dips, cheese balls and spreads...some people make pie crust and pasta doughs in them.
I also have a little baby cusineart that's especially good for chopping small amounts of herbs.
I keep thinking that one of these days the old one is going to spit out the bits, but so far it has kept on running like the Energizer Bunny.

Mine is fantastic too - my sister and I bought it for my mom about 25 years ago, and since all she could figure out was how to make coleslaw, she gave it to me....and it's still going. Constance, I think I have your blades....somehow I have a double set!

As for what to make, you name it! Try a fromage fort in there (search the archives for some good recipes), or use the slicers for apples when making a pie....or, you can put all your ingreds for a meatloaf (sans meat), process and then knead in the meat (makes for a great texture, imo).....
Also, you can process a mix of onions, tomatoes, cilantro, jalepeno, etc...then cook down in a saucepan and use it as a top sauce on chicken. Yum!

REMEMBER!!!!!Hot liquids aren't the best for the machine! You will end up wearing that soup....really.

Cora, I use mine for all types of things, I have a mini one that I use to slightly chop cooked veggies for Carson now. He loves them I cook the veggies in a tiny amount of water so as not to lose all the nutrients, then as I chop, I add back some of the water, there isn't much anyway so it makes a fine chewable veggie mix for him. I also use the small one for chopping parsley and garlic to go into my baby artichokes or into garbanzo beans..The big one I use to cut potatoes for scalloped potatoes, do ahead, cover with water and pull them out when eady to put the dish together. I make some bread dough with the big one, puree fruits, or small batchs of soup, a little at a time, have to be very careful with anything hot.I wouldn't be without mine,,Enjoy your new gift..

kadesma:)

I really like to use mine for pureeing soups, and making dressings/vinegarettes.

But my wife bought me a stick mixer for Valentines Day!!!

Anything and everything, some day's I'm washing it out like 5 or 6 times. It helps me so much because I sometimes have problems standing for long. I've found there is nothing better or faster for shredding cheese, whipping cream (okay to be fair I've never tried a KA mixer that might whip cream better), dicing onions/garlic, chopping veggies, making homemade ground meat, etc. Mine has a blender attatchment on it so it's a total two in one and I love that aspect of it too.

That is so awesome that your sweet hubby bought you one as a gift, I got mine the exact same way :)

I just have a mini one... use it mostly for chopping up nuts.

and I just used it tonight to puree the tomato soup I made.

I have lots of time though and really kind of enjoy chopping veggies so, it doesn't get used as much as it could.

I use mine for all kinds of tasks. Mainly I use it for chopping nuts, making pesto and salsa, slicing onions and cabbage, pureeing tomatillos for chile verde sauce, mincing garlic and jalapenos, etc. A friend uses hers to make a pie dough. I have not tried that but her pie doughs come out great.

Cuisinart is great!!

I own the Cuisinart DLC-7 Pro machine, and I had it for almost as long as I had my K'Aid K45SS Classic Stand Mixer - nearly 20 years and it's still going strong!!

I've used it for just about everything, up to and including making dough.

Back in the early '70s, Cuisinart food processors were made in France by Robot Coup (pronounced robo coop). Several years later, the Cuisinart name was bought out by another guy (his first name is Carl, forgot his last name).

From the lat '70s to the mid '80, every co. and its brother were making similar machines. Housewives, gourmet cooks and chefs alike were buying up these machines like hotcakes, as they practically flew off the store shelves!!!

They caught on to the marvelous wonders of these machine, as it allowed them to get out of the kitchen in record-breaking time.

~Corey123.

I use my boat motor mixer the most. It is great for potatoes, just put it in the pot and turn it on...

Later

I dropped mine and broke the lock, but I did use it for making purees and sauces, chopping nuts, and mixing butter cookie dough.

I use mine for everything where chopping and grating are involved. It makes far better pastry than I can and I even use it for making bread dough, though I only use a pound of flour at a time for bread so as not to overload the motor. One thing it's terrible for is French fries. There is a special disk for this, but unless it comes as standard (with the top range machine) it's not worth getting in my opinion: the fries are slightly curved (as the disk whizzes round through the potato), not very long and rectangular rather than square in section. Other than that, it's great. Watch out for the blades - they're super sharp.

Most food processors have a automatic thermal overload switch, a safety features that is supposed to stop the motor if it overheats. Overheating can
occur if the motor stalls under a heavy load, or if a piece of food becomes jammed between the blade or disk.

This saves the abnormal expense of having to replace the motor if it went bad. But nowadays, manufacturers usually replace the entire machine provided it's still under warranty.

In my case where I've had my Cuisinart DLC-7Pro, for almost 20 years, if it every goes bad, I'd just replace it with another Cuisinart.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom