What is a good dishwasher ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chilichip

Senior Cook
there are so many of them and the prices are from low to to high ,I do know I want one that is line with metal not white inside ,we have a well and any one knows how white turns to rust, YUK.

I'm slowing killing the dishwasher we got now.:ROFLMAO:

For me a dishwasher is a nice to have but I don't need all the bells and whistles and ultra quiet models.

I do look for energy efficient because it saves on water and gas bills.

I think in the pricey range the two popular ones are Fisher & Paykel and Bosche. They are sleek, come with hidden controls, you can get them as drawers (less water consumption and a bit more practical for a smaller family) and they can be overlayed with wood so it blends in with your cabinets.

In the mid price range the possibilities are too many to list. I think a stainless clad with a food grinder (so you don't have to do double work) and energy efficiency with a little bit of quietness and ofcourse consumer reports on reliability is what you should go by.

I have a Kenmore all stainless inside and out and I am very happy with it. It's quiet, energy efficient and does the job.

I just pick up a Bosch SHX33A05UC two weeks ago. I like it because it doesn't have 50 different wash cycles to choose from. It has 3 cycles: Pots/Pans; Regular; Rinse/Hold. It's quiet and the dishes come out clean. I think on the regular cycle it uses between 2 and 4 gallons of water. The interior is a tad smaller than our old Kenmore (piece of **** !!!!) but knowing the dishes will be clean is fine enough.

It costs $800 for all stainless steel. Lowe's carries them (I had to get mine from another company because Lowe's was out of stock)

Yes I have a GE stove and Microwave they are ok . I do like the idea of the two drawers,are they the same size a normal washer. I have a little kitchen

I have had a Miele for about 4-5 yrs. now. I love it! Never a problem, washes great, is energy efficient, quiet, and has a SS interior. It also will shut down automatically if ever it were to overflow, plus there is a pan built-in that would catch any overflow, or so the salesman told me! I think the Miele is very similar to Bosch.

bosch makes the best i have ever seen ...
the quality is vey good ...
the price is on the high side ..

Friends have a GEProfile and it is a terrific machine--SS interior, BIG, racks are "adaptable"--the dish racks can be folded down to accomodate a different size dish, etc. If I ever replace, that is what I will get. I have a KA and have had KAs forever. Very serviceable.

We had a super high end Kitchenaid that lasted almost 25 years. In the end the racks rusted out and replacement was rediculously expensive. We replaced it with a mid line Bosch a couple of years ago. All stainless interior. No steel in the racks to rust- I think they are nylon. Extremely quiet, lots of capacity, and gets the dishes clean every time. I recommend it.

I love my JennAir! it is quiet, has room for even my tallest stemmed wine glasses, has a great "short cycle" and is very energy efficient. Can't remember the stats offhand.

Besides, it looks gorgeous! :D

I understand that the foreign ones do not have a soft food disposal but rather a cup that needs to be cleaned out....make sure you check it out. Don't assume.

What is a good dishwasher?

It's a machine that effectively washes dishes, and silverware, and pots and pans, but that's not important right now.

Last edited:
Mine is an older Maytag portable, which was recently repaired free of charge due to the recent recall on the rinse agent dispenser.

The entire inner door, along with the detergent and rinse agent dispensers as well as the connecting wiring was replaced.

It has always and still does work like a charm. I like being able to set the machine to heat the main wash and final rinse water temps to high levels. This not only melts and gets rid of greasy food soil, but it also helps clean and sanitize the dishes, leaving them free of germs and bateria.

The final rinse is extended so that the load is power-blasted with steamy hot 150-degree water.

It has a plastic tub and inner door, 4 wash cycles - heavy, normal, light and rinse only, 2 water heat options and one drying option. Three wash/rinse levels blast food off the dishes and help assure cleaner dishes!

During the dry, a small motorized vent door opens to allow the hot steam built up during washing and rinsing to escape. It works similar to a drying fan.

The machine been in use for seven years now, and is STILL going strong!!

Machines with plastic tubs cost less than the ones that feature SS tubs. Adjustable racks add to the cost, as well as all those bells and whistles.

Last edited:
By the way, I have a GE Quietpower, one of the ones under recall. (they come out and replace a few parts, or they offer $150 towards a new one.) We've had it for 7 years so far and it still works like new. It cleans very well, it has all the needed settings, and it has a timer. To be fair it's the only modern dishwasher I've had, but I think it's very good.

Rose, my cleaning lady, is a GREAT dishwasher! Quiet, efficient, inexpensive, and so far, she hasn't melted anything.

We have what I assume is an older Jenn-Air dishwasher. We've had it at least 7 years and bought it for $15 at our area Salvation Army Thrift Store.

We learned by calling the manufacturer and giving them the serial number that it had been a floor/demonstrator model in an appliance store. It had been donated because the model had been discontinuted.

We love it and it performs like a champ. It's not particularly noisy and does a wonderful job. Enough that we'd consider Jenn-Air in the future when we remodel our kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom