"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What is a proofer?

Hi everyone,I just started a job at a bakery and I don't understand what a proofer is used for. Can anyone tell what you do with a proofer? Does it make breads and pasteries rise.? Are there any websites that can help me? What do you put in proofers? Thanks for your help. namnik

Old 07-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Executive Chef

A proofer or proof box is used to help with the rising or proofing of pastries Im not sure if its used for bread we never did .The proof box gives you the ability to control the humidity and temperature so you get the perfect rise for your pastries.Also if you hear the word retarder its really just a refridgerater to keep dough from rising or rising to fast. To retard or slow rising of dough.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnik
Hi everyone,I just started a job at a bakery and I don't understand what a proofer is used for. Can anyone tell what you do with a proofer? Does it make breads and pasteries rise.? Are there any websites that can help me? What do you put in proofers? Thanks for your help. namnik
I never worked in a bakery but in school the kid who fixed my homework said he was the proofer and I was the retarder.
Or something like that.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
Master Chef

jpmcgrew got it - on both counts (proofer and retarder). These are modern day conveniences used in commercial kitchens/bakeries for large batches to control the proofing "rate" of yeast leavened breads and pastry products. A proofer (aka proof cabinet, proof box) is a warm humidity and temperature controlled environment (generally about 80-F) - a retarder (aka retarder proofer, retarder box) is a cool environment (generally 70-F or below) often used when the dough is made up the day before it will be baked so that the rate of proofing is greatly reduced, or retarded. A retarder is also frequently used in the making of sour-dough breads to extend the fermentation period of the dough to aid in developing the flavor.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef

We used one at the Culinary Arts class.

It had stopped working for a while, but the bakery chef had it fixed. It's a work saver!

My bread machine is also a proofer. Most of them usually are. They create the right environment for humidity and warmth to help the dough rise!!

~Corey123.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
Master Chef

Actually, Corey, your bread machine has a proofing cycle - it is of itself not a proofer in the general sense. A "proofer" can proof any number of products (different sizes and shapes of breads, rolls, etc.) simultaneously - your bread machine can only proof one loaf of bread at a time.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Logically, because it only BAKES one loaf at a time.

~Corey123.