What is a proofer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namnik

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,I just started a job at a bakery and I don't understand what a proofer is used for. Can anyone tell what you do with a proofer? Does it make breads and pasteries rise.? Are there any websites that can help me? What do you put in proofers? Thanks for your help. namnik

:) A proofer or proof box is used to help with the rising or proofing of pastries Im not sure if its used for bread we never did .The proof box gives you the ability to control the humidity and temperature so you get the perfect rise for your pastries.Also if you hear the word retarder its really just a refridgerater to keep dough from rising or rising to fast. To retard or slow rising of dough.

namnik said:
Hi everyone,I just started a job at a bakery and I don't understand what a proofer is used for. Can anyone tell what you do with a proofer? Does it make breads and pasteries rise.? Are there any websites that can help me? What do you put in proofers? Thanks for your help. namnik
I never worked in a bakery but in school the kid who fixed my homework said he was the proofer and I was the retarder.
Or something like that. :)

jpmcgrew got it - on both counts (proofer and retarder). These are modern day conveniences used in commercial kitchens/bakeries for large batches to control the proofing "rate" of yeast leavened breads and pastry products. A proofer (aka proof cabinet, proof box) is a warm humidity and temperature controlled environment (generally about 80-F) - a retarder (aka retarder proofer, retarder box) is a cool environment (generally 70-F or below) often used when the dough is made up the day before it will be baked so that the rate of proofing is greatly reduced, or retarded. A retarder is also frequently used in the making of sour-dough breads to extend the fermentation period of the dough to aid in developing the flavor.

Last edited:
We used one at the Culinary Arts class.

It had stopped working for a while, but the bakery chef had it fixed. It's a work saver!

My bread machine is also a proofer. Most of them usually are. They create the right environment for humidity and warmth to help the dough rise!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Actually, Corey, your bread machine has a proofing cycle - it is of itself not a proofer in the general sense. A "proofer" can proof any number of products (different sizes and shapes of breads, rolls, etc.) simultaneously - your bread machine can only proof one loaf of bread at a time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom